Two stroke diesel, turbo compound engines

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Blowers, turbines and scavenging

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:52 pm

Viv wrote:Let me introduce you to "BMEP" or break mean efficiency pressure, this is the holy grail figure for diesels
Ahem... it's actually 'brake mean effective pressure', but I guess dyslexics can be forgiven. Especially smart ones like you.

It's a holy grail figure for all internal combustion engines, not just diesels. It is the one overwhelmingly meaningful figure of engine performance, which encompasses everything. You boost your BMEP and you can forget about everything else. The rest is chemistry, as my late father (a physicist) used to say.

Viv, you have given me a nice Christmas card with those diesels. Juicy stuff. Haven't pored over diesels for a long time now. Thank you.

BTW. How on earth (pun intended) did you end up in soil reclamation?

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Merry Xmas

Post by Viv » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi Bruno

Doh! one little slip between cup and lip! I will have to claim its because I always write BMEP efficiency so thats were the mix up came from:-)

I am glad you got hooked on the subject, its a bit of intellectual fun for the Christmas holiday season and should get people over the Turkey meal tomorrow.

As for soil debris separation and my Guardian Land clearance project, I realized that there is a huge and lucrative market for separating rocks and other unwanted items out of contaminated soil, cleaning up disused mining land and industrial demolition sites is extremely expensive, the other market need I spotted is for improving or actually making farm land available in the third world, the trouble is humanitarian needs tend to have no money so the mines and demolition markets will pay for the development and the third world gets the machines cheaper, thats a winner I think.

The Guardian project will be developed through my Gauthier Collins inc. IP company as a spin off commercialization project.

Viv
Last edited by Viv on Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Ash Powers

Post by Ash Powers » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:38 pm

WOOPS! HAHAH, the moment I read "2-stroke" in your reply, I knew exactly where I had gone wrong. :)

I used to build and race off-road motocross motorcycles - I can't count how many 2-strokes I've rebuild, LOL. I'm very familiar with the cycle dynamics and see exactly where my assumptions went awry. :)

Again, thanks for the entertaining post - quite a "meal". :)

Viv

;-)

Post by Viv » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi Ash

I thought it was some thing along those lines so played it safe in my reply;-)

Merry Xmas

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:55 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Viv, you have given me a nice Christmas card with those diesels. Juicy stuff. Haven't pored over diesels for a long time now. Thank you.

Hi Bruno

How are you getting on with your present then? have you arranged the cylinders around the turbo yet.

Viv;-)

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:30 pm

Viv wrote:
Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Viv, you have given me a nice Christmas card with those diesels. Juicy stuff. Haven't pored over diesels for a long time now. Thank you.

Hi Bruno

How are you getting on with your present then? have you arranged the cylinders around the turbo yet.

Viv;-)
Ahem... no, I haven't done anything in the field for a long time now. Got sidetracked into some other very exciting things.

Also, I've been preoccupied by the business of selling my company after spending twelve years establishing and developing it. Spent almost a year doing the deal. Much more complex than I expected.

Ironically, I have sold my company to people whose interests include UAVs and UAV engines... My new partners did a spectacular double-take when they discovered one of my major other interests in life was pulsejets, ha-ha-ha... it was fun to watch.

Can't say I have lost interest in pulsejets, but I just haven't got time for them anymore. I log onto the forum fairly rarely these days; maybe once a week or so. There's only 24 hours in a day.

Ash Powers

Post by Ash Powers » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:06 am

Surprised once again.... :)

I had no idea that there existed the potential for actually profiting from selling a company which specializes in pulsejet technology.

ROCK and ROLL! :-)

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:32 pm

Ash Powers wrote:Surprised once again.... :)

I had no idea that there existed the potential for actually profiting from selling a company which specializes in pulsejet technology.

No, no; my company has nothing to do with pulsejets. It specializes in publishing business newsletters.

It was purchased by a much bigger company that deals in business consulting. One of the major customers of this consulting company is a big defense contractor involved in UAVs among other things. So, my new partners are intensely interested in small jet engines.

Viv

Parlay vue Croat;-)

Post by Viv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:36 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Ash Powers wrote:Surprised once again.... :)

No, no; my company has nothing to do with pulsejets. It specializes in publishing business newsletters.

It was purchased by a much bigger company that deals in business consulting. One of the major customers of this consulting company is a big defense contractor involved in UAVs among other things. So, my new partners are intensely interested in small jet engines.
Some thing to do with him being able to parlay a bit of croat I think Ash?

Viv;-)

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:30 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Viv wrote:

Hi Bruno

Viv;-)
Ahem... no, I haven't done anything in the field for a long time now. Got sidetracked into some other very exciting things.

Also, I've been preoccupied by the business of selling my company after spending twelve years establishing and developing it. Spent almost a year doing the deal. Much more complex than I expected.

Ironically, I have sold my company to people whose interests include UAVs and UAV engines... My new partners did a spectacular double-take when they discovered one of my major other interests in life was pulse-jets, ha-ha-ha... it was fun to watch.

Can't say I have lost interest in pulse-jets, but I just haven't got time for them anymore. I log onto the forum fairly rarely these days; maybe once a week or so. There's only 24 hours in a day.
Hi Bruno

Same here with the side tracking to more exciting things, and yes I too was selling one of my business interests but that looks to want to run a different course now so more on that later this year when it gets resolved, my other projects seem to be coming along nicely.

I love the irony of your new partners, my own interest in Pulse jets is now just based on my friends and contacts in the field after my own work pointed me in a different direction, airframes and small PDE engines are the bigger field now I think.

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:53 pm

I never realized Detroit Diesel has brought compound turbine to truck power. Their latest DD15 6-cylinder truck engine has an exhaust-driven turbine geared to the crank. Apparently, it extracts about 50 extra horsepower from the engine without increasing fuel consumption. Not bad.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:10 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:I never realized Detroit Diesel has brought compound turbine to truck power. Their latest DD15 6-cylinder truck engine has an exhaust-driven turbine geared to the crank. Apparently, it extracts about 50 extra horsepower from the engine without increasing fuel consumption. Not bad.
I think some one mentioned this and Volvo too in the same breath, its a practical method with modern fluid power drives.

In a hybrid car it makes sense to go all the way and drive the generator from the turbine with the piston engine as a gas producer only, mechanical drive to the wheels only by the electric motor.

My reasoning is the instant start stop ability of the piston gas producer compared to the normal gas turbine combustor can arrangement.

Why? going up hills;-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:18 pm

DD15 has a conventional gear drive between the turbine and the crank, not a fluid drive. Just like Napier Nomad.

As for hybrids, I'm thinking of buying the Prius as my next car. 90 percent of my driving is in town, where it scores well. But, I don't think an ideal hybrid combination has been arrived at yet.

Viv

Pure hybrid

Post by Viv » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:52 pm

I think I would forgo the Prius and go for a smaller smart electric type in town, even the petrol smart is good, hybrids are a bit hamstrung by peoples expectations of what they are replacing rather than what they really are.

Its a different set of problems and solutions, people want one car that will do all when it would be better to have two cars, one for town driving and one for out of town driving.

So far I have not seen a system makes me go all gooey yet but it would probably be a full time electric drive with small battery range in town (lighter so more %) with a small multi-fuel turbine based drop in generator for longer journeys (again lighter for town use if its drop in).

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Wakey wakey

Post by Viv » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Heres a little update to this ongoing story

http://www.news.com/8301-11128_3-985030 ... 47-1_3-0-5

Reading the bottom of the article you will see why I started this thread and why Junkers got an honerable mention as well as the Roots Ts3 truck engine.

This new companies work is a direct carry on a development of the orginal promise of these engines.

"In EcoMotors' engine, there is a double-length cylinder with a piston at each end. (There are no cylinder heads in-between.) A single-engine module consists of four pistons and two cylinders, said COO John Coletti. The pistons and cylinders are horizontal too, so car and engine manufacturers can stack them.

The unusual configuration results in several advantages. Mileage can be boosted by 40 percent to 50 percent, when a two-module engine is compared with a standard diesel. The engine also can be made 30 percent lighter. Because the engine modules are horizontal, cars can be more aerodynamic.

Coletti predicted that a 2.5-liter engine from his company will provide the same power as one of the 6.5-liter engines used by truck manufacturers today, but weigh 300 pounds less."

Credit to CNet and APT.

More on the engine company

http://www.propulsiontech.com/

For an idea of size or power to weight

http://www.propulsiontech.com/apu.html

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire