any body know cool things to do with a pulse jet?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Jim Berquist
Antipspambot question: 0

Gopher Toaster

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:28 pm

Thats a good one! I would like to know more about there fuel system?

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Dave_G

Re: Gopher Toaster

Post by Dave_G » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:20 pm

berquistj@peoplepc.com wrote: I would like to know more about there fuel system?

Jim
They ran on JP4 or gasoline, or could be run on propane with a nozzle change.
Last edited by Dave_G on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark 42

Re: What to do with a P.J.

Post by Mark 42 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:08 pm

I think there's a playground near us with one of those carousels
that the kiddies have to push...

I was thinkin of other usues...

Blast the crap out of some idiot with the super bass boom box car
cranked way up high.

A rollercoaster that doesn't ever stop.

A model hydroplane.

A small kart (like my Elektra II) tethered to go in circles... with a
1 pound propane cylinder in direct contact with the combustion chamber.
Paint a roulette wheel on the ground, and take bets on where it will explode.

adam
Location: california is home town but currently in new mexico

Post by adam » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:37 pm

hey mark that little electra roller skate little thingy looks pretty tight, how fast does it move or can move?

adam

Post by adam » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:20 am

being bored and thought of stupid ideas with fictional or maybe real uses for a p jet.

one can use it in place of a hot air ballon torch maybe a small p jet would heat the ballon up better than the flame throwwer they use and might be more fuel efficient but extremely loud but who cares.

maybe someone can heat a swimming pool up pretty freakin fast by just dumping the whole p jet into the water and just have it far in enough so the water cant go into the intake and exhaust.

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:24 am

Adem: Untested as of yet...

This one is going to be the Ultimate Junk Box Engine AKA Elektra II

Jim

Whats up with your Kart??

Jim

adam

Post by adam » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:38 am

well the kart has been considered a "rocket powered gokart" according to the police that got a phone call by some stupid moron that doesnt know jack s**t about anything and had nothing better to do but be a prick and call the cops so now i need to find a different place where different cops can cacth me instead of the same one because ive allready been warned not to drive it on the street because it is not street leagal even in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road, they said thats still considered a road and its illeagal, so when i find a different place i will get some video of it moving really fast like how all of us want to see a pulse jet power something, all ready got the kart up to 60mph pretty quick, i had my g-friend drive behind me to the side to let me know how fast i was going, it could of went much much faster but not with my chicken ass on it.

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:18 am

Love thy Naybor! Then kiss there arse! You need to make friends with your local airport folks. They will let you use the run way between hours. Here in New Mexico you just need to be dropping $20.00 bills as you go down the road and all will be fine.....HeHe Fine!

Sad Sad! Some people just don't want any one to have fun.

Go out a little bit further from the town and find a long strait road on a ranch some place. Talk to the man nice and explain what you wish to do and offer him a chance to play a part in it..... You May Be Surprised...Some ranch roads are 2 or 3 miles strait and if you offer them some form of entertainment you may just be in.........

All it will cost you is gas to get there, a smile and some talk .

What can they say? NO?

How about secondary air ports. I know you have crop dusters around there. Talk to them. Even if you have to place some larger tires on the kart you could have some fun and do it....

Jim

pgup

Twin-pulsejet dragster with turbine whine

Post by pgup » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:35 pm

Cool twin-pulsejet dragster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clOmc3WI5fk

Too bad they mangled the audio with a phony turbine whine though...too much marketing BS...

Anyway the video's fun to watch.

Interesting to note how much flame is coming out of the motors, I doubt Bruce is going to do any bragging about the SFC of these motors?

Jim Berquist

P.J. Dragster

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:30 pm

Cool , Some people think you need more dramatics for the Boob Tube. old Hat!

Jim

adam

Post by adam » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:29 pm

trying a new fuel system and i found out that it seems like 2 smaller propane tanks works better than one big one, i have 2 10lb propane tanks and both go to a "t" pipe fitting and then to the engine, i crack one tank open for starting the engine and leaving it running at a low throttle so when i crack the other tank it throttles up really nice and can be throttled all the way back down in a split second with out the engine turning off because of the other tank that will still be cracked open to a idleing position. it seems like more pressure comes out of 2 smaller tanks or just two tanks period rather than one tank, so with this setup i have, i have one tank right side up for idling and the other tank can throttle the tp 180 70 all the way up with out haveing to tip the tank upside down to feed it liquid. it will throttle all the way up just from the vapor and for some reason it seems like i get a hella of a lot better fuel effeciency this way. when i used to tip the tank upside down on my single tank it seemed like all the liquid would dump out and be empty within a 8 min period and also it would freeze the bottle which would give lower propane pressure in the tank and also leave a whole bunch of ice chunks in the tank, but with the two tanks that connect to a "t" fitting, i can have both bottles right side up and still throttle up the engoine all the way just off of vapor and the pressure stays longer inside the tanks because the tank doesnt freeze as fast when feeding vapor where ass feeding liquid will freeze the tank and drop pressure in no time, the fuel effieciency to me when i tried this new fuel setup seems to me like i can throttle the engine up on that second 10lb propane tank for about 20 min or so and get way more high throttling time rather than the one 20 lb tank feeding liquid. i dont know i thought this is way cooler the the one single tank

larry cottrill

Two Heads Are Better Than One

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:51 pm

adam -

The two smaller tanks probably work better because they can take on heat from the outside air more effectively. There is a lot more total surface area than with a single 20-pounder. The downside is that (probably) there is somewhat more total tank weight. Good observation, though, and it sounds like a nice geometry for throttling. Tank manifolds (like your 'tee' fitting) are used a lot in high-pressure high-volume industrial installations, but of course this is usually where weight doesn't matter at all.

L Cottrill

adam

Post by adam » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:14 pm

yea your very right about the weight of the two tank which sucks, but oh well :x . hey you pulse jet guys in hear wanna hear something cool but not to make fun of the turbine people in here but check this out, yesterday i went to a small rc club here in town and to my supprise there was a guy flying two jet turbines he owned and i have seen these things a million times on the internet but not in real life so i was really happy to see this guy here and to see the little 12 lb thrust turbine he had start up, so he in turn was excited to seemy valveless pulse jet start up to that was mounted on my gokart, but anyway he started it up and as it was spooling up i got right behind it and looked down into the tail pipe and he had it idleing and then decided to just spool it up all the way and the freakin thing blew up in my face, to my luck i was not injured but i was lucky because i was right behind it while he spooled it up because i wanted to see how much gasses were blowing out of it "like a crazy ass" but yea i work on turbines for the f 16 in the air force and we have been told the dangers of f.o.d and bearing failure and i had this weird feeling as i was standing looking down the tail pipe right before it blew up, when it blew up i didnt actualy explode but it sounded like a loud pooofhg and the engine stoped immediatly and there were two turbine blades missing out of the back and he dissasembled it and the shaft had a huge goudge right were the bearings seated, yea i was lucky and he wasnt, should of invested in a pulse jet 8) .

gameboyz

Post by gameboyz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:13 am

build your own airplane using the pulsejet to power it? haha u know those gliders going off the cliff? yeah that's the design. careful though, you don't want the LPG tank to explode in mid-air, yeah?
careful there goes a finger; oh your leg too!