Hello from Norway!

Moderator: Mike Everman

janm
Antipspambot question: 0

Hello from Norway!

Post by janm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:34 am

Hi there! :D
My name is Jan, and its a pleasure to join this group ;)
Im looking forward to be a member here =)

I have always been interested in jet engines. I just love them. Now in the later times i figured out that it would be cool to make my own jet engine.
I have not started to make one , but many hours in the days goes to reading about gas turbines at the net.
I do not know much about them right now and i have much more to learn.
I do have some questions to ask:

1) I have read quite much in different topic here , and i have understood that you guys do build different type of jet engines. Can some of you guys write down the jet engine types that can be homemade. I mean the usual homemade jet engines. Then i can search for one and one and find everything about them.

2) What type of jet engine is the easiest and safest to build for a new beginner ?

3) I also want to buy plans for this jet engine and which plans do you recommend?. I look much at Ebay.com and its lots of plans there , but im sure some of it is just crap , so it would be best to ask you guys first.
i dont want to buy some junk plans , and build a engine who fails. People and i could get injured. Safety is important for me =)
But i do understand that i can get injured whatever engine i make. Its up to me to make it safety.

If i could get some answers i would be glad! :wink:
Thanks
Best wishes!
Jan

_Rahul_

Post by _Rahul_ » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:56 am

Hello Jan! Welcome to the group!!

1)
Can some of you guys write down the jet engine types that can be homemade.
As almost all engines u will find on this board can be built at home, as for the proof .. most guys here have already done that. The amount of work to be done will vary from engine to engine.
2)
What type of jet engine is the easiest and safest to build for a new beginner ?
As for the easiest I would say .. valveless ones ( especially chinese ) are the easiest made!!
3)
I also want to buy plans for this jet engine and which plans do you recommend?. I look much at Ebay.com and its lots of plans there , but im sure some of it is just crap , so it would be best to ask you guys first.
If u wish u can buy plans from guys on the board here. You can also get some of the plans for free too which arent crap for sure. Well that depends on what type of engine you want to build.
You can try Larry's Chinese Pj or Eric's designs .. I hope u can find some over here 4 free.

Thanx.
Rahul.
[url=callto://ralph_10019]Image[/url]

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:57 am

Hi Jan!

Welcome to the forum, after some reading and discussing here and a trip to the workshop you will have your own jet engine before you know it! :-)

All kinds of jet engines can be homemade, it just depends on what experience, equipment and funding you have. The by far easiest kind to build and run is the valveless pulsejet which is nothing more than an empty metal tube consisting of cones and tubes in different shapes. (and a buttload of math if you want to understand why it can run, but you don´t have to worry about that part)

In the valveless forum you can find many free plans of engines that people here have designed and built, so don´t rush out and spend money if you just want an engine that runs. The engines that are simplest to build can be made in an afternoon if you have some basic tools and a bit of experience, and they still sounds like the fog horn from hell while they glows brightly and sets nearby pieces of wood on fire...

So, dig through the valveless forum for some goodies is my advice. Sure you can build a gas turbine with no previous experience (I did) but it is much more work and it is way more expensive.

Have fun!

//Anders

Dj Nafets

Or you start with a valved type...

Post by Dj Nafets » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:38 am

If you want to start with a valved pulsejet, you can look on my website. Please look at Pulso and then at R500.

This is the engine I started with. Is very easy to build an simpel to use.
www.pulsorohr.de
Last Update 20.05.07

Bounce

Post by Bounce » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:03 pm

If you want to build a gas turbine, the books of Kamps and Schreckling are good beginner's lectures. They describe the basic maths very well and also there are working plans in them that have been built by lots of people. But the GTs described there are also the "more complicated" ones. Also check out the DIY gasturbinesgroup at yahoo
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DIYGasTurbines/ there are TONS of information. I've spend quite some days to read through it and have not even finished yet ;)

janm

Post by janm » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:42 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D

Man.. i see i have done something wrong. i have a tendency to write about jet engines when i actually mean gas turbines. thats not good.
i just read the reply,s i got in this tread and i just asked myself "why do the guys talk about pulsejets when i asked about gas turbines ".

but then i understood that i had write wrong. sorry for this guys.
example:
"1) I have read quite much in different topic here , and i have understood that you guys do build different type of jet engines , Can some of you guys write down the jet engine types that can be homemade "

LOL , i acutally mean gas turbines.

im a clown :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll:
i WILL remember this , and it wont happen again.
i just cleared "jet egines" in my questions , and added "gas turbines" , thats what i actually mean heheh

" 1) I have read quite much in different topic here , and i have understood that you guys do build different type of gas turbines. Can some of you guys write down the gas turbine types that can be homemade. I mean the usual homemade gas turbines. Then i can search for one and one and find everything about them.

2) What type of gas turbine is the easiest and safest to build for a new beginner ?

3) I also want to buy plans for this gas turbine and which plans do you recommend?. I look much at Ebay.com and its lots of plans there , but im sure some of it is just crap , so it would be best to ask you guys first.
i dont want to buy some junk plans , and build a engine who fails. People and i could get injured. Safety is important for me =)
But i do understand that i can get injured whatever turbine i make. Its up to me to make it safety. "

well , what do you think now?. it did the questions quite different :shock: :lol:

if anyone of you want to re-fill the questions , you are free to do that and i would be happy and glad to read :wink: but you do not need to if you dont want. i understand that =)

thanks Bounce for the yahoo link :) i will read!

and thanks guys for the reply`s.
i can blame on my miss understanding cause i wrote my questions yesterday late night :lol: :lol:
all best!
jan

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:57 pm

Sigh
You should read the sticky at the top of this forum and follow the link and the advice. The Yahoo group has more info than you can believe.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

janm

Post by janm » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:19 am

yeah. you guys join the group? i looked at the site and and could read in different topics without to join. im pretty new to the yahoo chatting though.

the main qestion i ask and wounder about is what type of gas turbine a newbie start to build ?
is the turbocharged gas turbine the easiest?.
if you ask me , a homebuild kj66 turbine looks harder to make than a homemade turbocharged turbine.
let me know
-j

Bounce

Post by Bounce » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi Jan!

A turbocharger turbine may be easier to machine, but you also have to watch the oil pressure and for this you need a pump and gauge. You don't need this on a KJ66. So in general it's quite the same in difficulty because the maths are quite the same, but if you have little experience in machining or little tools I yould suggest the turbocharger one. For a little comparison you can also look through the Johansson's Pocketbike/Ashs T04 thread which are both really nice turbines and good manufactured.
Also I would recommend you to join the yahoo group. It only costs a minute or two but gives you access to a lot of plans, rules of thumb, tachometer/ignition circuits and tons of more information.

So far, Dennis