50 and 75mm Kazoo Test Band, apply here

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:40 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Serabend is a brand of "babbitt metal" that melts at 200F. It's like lead. Poured in to the almost finished Kazoo and cooled, it'll make a bendable mandrel that will not allow the tube to crush when bending; so the theory goes, then melted out with a propane torch, or boiling water, for that matter.
Couldn't an entire male mold be cast out of serabend, inserted into the straight pipe and then crushed?

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:19 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:
Couldn't an entire male mold be cast out of serabend, inserted into the straight pipe and then crushed?
I can't imagine how. It is good stuff for making molds, though, for casting cores and such.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:36 pm

I mean, you cast the shape of Kazoo internals -- the shape of the air column inside the Kazoo, so to say -- out of serabend. I guess a plaster mold could be used to pour the metal into shape.

The 'intake' and 'exhaust' plates would have to be trimmed for width, so that the thing could be inserted into the original tube.

That should not create problems, for the edges of the flattened Kazoo seem to be turning out OK. It's the flat surfaces that are problematic. The serabend plates would (I presume) prevent irregular flattening.

Or am I complicating things too much?

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:37 pm

brunoogorelec wrote: The 'intake' and 'exhaust' plates would have to be trimmed for width, so that the thing could be inserted into the original tube.

Or am I complicating things too much?
I get it now, and maybe. ;-P
I am considering pouring a plug for the CC region to tame the buckles going on at each end, but that may be not worth the effort. I like the funny dimples and such.

Al Belli

Bending using low melting point alloy

Post by Al Belli » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:14 am

Cerrobend is produced by Pasco de Cerro of Peru.
The cost for a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pound ingot is about $28.00 USD.
The material is totally reclaimable, but is so expensive that it is
usually used for forming small diameter thin walled tubes.
If You want a good read, go to http://www.alchemyartlead.com/pdf/cerro_bending.pdf

Al Belli

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:01 am

Thanks, Al. I was wondering if there were special handling rules, and there are!

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Bending using low melting point alloy

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:56 am

Al, thank you very much for the Cerrobend link! Very useful stuff for pulsejet enthusiasts!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:23 am

I got about an hour to experiment today...
Attachments
MVC-690S.JPG
MVC-690S.JPG (52.49 KiB) Viewed 13261 times
MVC-689S.JPG
MVC-689S.JPG (57 KiB) Viewed 13262 times

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:02 am

Interesting heat pattern on the intake. I can't say whether it's because I was blowing air more in the lighter side there, or because it is not quite as squished and has more flow there (more likely). Fairly uniform bluing on the tail, looks like some adjustment could be made.
Not much action before the exhaust extension, then some impressive bangs for the size. Good colorful blowtorch out the tail, too.
The piezo sparker ended up working pretty well after I opened up the gap on the sparkplug. Still pretty anemic spark, though. Fireballs not too big when it finally catches, every 5 sec or so with air blowing in.
Graham suggests smaller and more holes in the fuel injector, and I'm also harkened to Mark's comments about keeping obstructions out of the intake path, though I still like the "inverted venturi" of the swizzle stick. It's too early to tell on anything,
1. It was quite humid today,
2. The bend of this one went far from plan.
3. The intake and exhaust were not at 90 deg to each other, as in the 75mm
4. Tank valve is OK, but this smaller size probably needs better control.

Graham C. Williams

50mm

Post by Graham C. Williams » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:11 am

Dear Mike.
It could also be worth you trying a version with a longer combustion chamber, perhaps twice the current length. A corresponding increase in tailpipe length may also be needed.
Graham.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:53 pm

Graham, this was the Kentfield proportions after all! I think I'll make up a 3" this week with Kentfield proportions, and a Locky 2". It's difficult to determine where the CC starts and ends with this geometry, to say the least. I am putting the clamps at the "right" places to hold it round; but this thing has a life of it's own.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:42 pm

Tried some home-grown atomizer ideas last night, essentially two coaxial tubes with an annular space for liquid, and concentric holes thru both walls; the inner tube will be fed by propane initially, then I think by the vacuum part of the cycle, when vented to ambient. First test atomizes well when you blow thru the copper tube, the plastic tube full of water. I'll post video when I get the smaller holes done tonight.

Inner tube holes were #60, outer jacket something more. I'll be trying much smaller on this test rig, then multiply as necessary on the "swizzle stick" as M. likes to call it. I think an optimized swizzle is the best thing for the slit-like intake of Kazoo.

I solder sealed the inner tube exit thru the bend in the outer, and used a pipe cutter to swage down the free end, stopping of course before it cut through. That made it nice and concentric, and sealed the annulus quite nicely.
Attachments
kazoo50mmfeedexperiment.jpg
kazoo50mmfeedexperiment.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 13145 times
kazoo 50mm feed 001.jpg
kazoo 50mm feed 001.jpg (52.78 KiB) Viewed 13145 times

Mike Kirney

Send Mine in a Satin-Lined Box

Post by Mike Kirney » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:57 am

Rescyou wrote:Mike, though I doubt it applies, you may want to consult with the Feds and ensure this is not on the ban list for exports if you are going to ship these things out of country.
Well the obivious label for these things is "Heavy Duty Steel Kazoo Body" cause that's exactly what it is. As far as I know, the export of kazoo parts does not require a licence, unless you are shipping them to Cuba. You could put "BONG PARTS" on the label if you wanted. If it were up to me, I would print the words "RED-HOT PULSATING DILDO" on each one in big black letters so there would be no confusion as to what you are shipping. I bet you could even ship dildoes straight to Cuba and the Neo-Cons would be alright with it. Many women in Cuba are running vibrators that were originally produced in America in the 40s and 50s that they keep going with parts scavenged from wrecks. The resourcefulness of those people never ceases to amaze me.

Raymond G

Post by Raymond G » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:04 am

Ok Mike,
Many women in Cuba are running vibrators that were originally produced in America in the 40s and 50s that they keep going with parts scavenged from wrecks
This begs the question, "How do you know so much about the cybernetic sexual practices of Cuban women?"

Regards,
Raymond

P.S. How about: BBQ parts, defective speculums, or end-zone probes?

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:11 am

Oh, Mike LOLOLOLOLOL!