VNT turbos

Moderator: Mike Everman

Thedon
Antipspambot question: 0

VNT turbos

Post by Thedon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:44 am

Has anyone here ever thought of using a VNT turbo for a GT? The thought ran across me while reading up on them. A guy on my mercedes forum has one in his 300D and it works like a small turbo and a larger one at the same time. Would the vanes help with spool up time in a GT and throttle control? or something like that. Im learning here so help please 8)

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Your location says Fi, are you perhaps talking about mersuforum.net? If so, I must say that I am truly impressed with the work done by some members there. Getting those amounts of power from old diesel engines is awsome...

Anyway, since the standard "turbocharger" turbine is not exactly flight-worthy spoolup times and throttle response is not a problem so I would use a cheap turbo from a truck and put the VTN in a bike instead! :wink:

//Anders

Thedon

Post by Thedon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:24 pm

nope the super turbo guys are at an american site dedicated.. only ones this side of the pond. www.schumanautomotive.com/forums (shameless plug)

I was just cureous if a VNT would be any better. Maybe I'll be the first to give it a try.

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Fricke » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:32 pm

Try it out!

I´m curius how well it will work! =)
"woot"
A shrill, obnoxious noise/word used by immature people to express happiness or excitement.
Supposedly started in the gamer community, but is now used by any slack-jawed moron to express delight.

racketmotorman

Post by racketmotorman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:51 am

Hi Thedon
GTs and turbos, even VNT turbos , work differently and at different pressures , comp out vs turb in .
On a GT, the comp out and turb in pressures are roughly the same , but on a VNT turbo the vanes are generally "closed" during spoolup with inlet pressures much higher that compressor output pressures , often twice as high . Trying this (closing the vanes) on a GT during spoolup would send the comp into surge .
The value of VNT for a GT would be in initial tuning of the engines turbine stage , once the optimum full throttle VNT position was found , the mechanism should be locked in that position , unless you want to spend an enormous amount of time making automated controls for its movements at off load conditions
Cheers
John