SIMPLE PULSE JET PLANS

Moderator: Mike Everman

jet maker

SIMPLE PULSE JET PLANS

Post by jet maker » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:53 pm

Where can I find some simple plans for a pulse jet doesn't matter what size??? I have found one simple plan of a pulse jet at, http://user.it.uu.se/~rist5661/rocketer ... plans.html
just click the ENGLISH where it says Simple Swedish design it's excellent for beginners!!!
Last edited by jet maker on Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:21 pm

Right on this website. Go back to homepage and click on the 'Pulsejet' button. I would try the Bailey if I were you. It's well proven and simple.

Bruno

jet maker

Post by jet maker » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:39 pm

How can make I make the spark plug spark on a small 30cm pulse jet it needs to be quite small.

kenneth
Site Admin

Post by kenneth » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:09 am

jet maker wrote:How can make I make the spark plug spark on a small 30cm pulse jet it needs to be quite small.
you can buy a small one from www.ngk.com http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=CM-6

kenneth

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:19 am

im guessing you want it simple because this is your first pulsejet ?...
30cm is very small for a pulsejet and there are alot of people who just want one that big when starting just like me. I have been told many times that the smaller the pulsejet is the harder it is to run and things that size are for the very experianced experementers. Like Bruno said go with the Bailey!

Stephen

jet maker

Post by jet maker » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:26 am

Stephen H wrote:im guessing you want it simple because this is your first pulsejet ?...
30cm is very small for a pulsejet and there are alot of people who just want one that big when starting just like me. I have been told many times that the smaller the pulsejet is the harder it is to run and things that size are for the very experianced experementers. Like Bruno said go with the Bailey!

Stephen
The plans for my pulse jet are on my first question theres a link see what you think of them???

jet maker

Post by jet maker » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:31 am

kenneth wrote:
jet maker wrote:How can make I make the spark plug spark on a small 30cm pulse jet it needs to be quite small.
you can buy a small one from www.ngk.com http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=CM-6

kenneth
Sorry I didn't mean the spark plug I ment how can I make it spark so I can fit it on a model aircraft???

jet maker

Post by jet maker » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:12 pm

Is the bailey pulse jet plans on this site measured in millimeters or inches and what do you make the valve out of???

Hank

Sparkz

Post by Hank » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:38 am

Hello, JM- Your question regarding ignition suggests that you do not know basic electricity. We are all here to learn.
A simple basic ignition assembly consists of a voltage source (battery or a transformer running on line current), wires (leads) one connected to the spark plug (+ side of plug) and the other grounded to the body of the jet, step up coil feeds the leads just mentioned, a toggle switch to make and break the current to the step up coil. When you turn off the toggle switch the step up coil field collapses and the spark plug will generate the heat needed for ignition. The switch is connected to the primary side of the ignition coil (the low voltage side).
This is as basic a set-up as can be described. Read something on Basic Electricity.
One thing I want to mention to you is the need to use pressurized air to start the Pulse Jet Engine. Odd as it may sound to you the air is put into the engine from the exaust end of the duct. As well as the thrust wave exiting from this part of the duct, air enters to provide compression. It is a back and forth motion. Hank

jet maker

Re: Sparkz

Post by jet maker » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:38 pm

Hank wrote:Hello, JM- Your question regarding ignition suggests that you do not know basic electricity. We are all here to learn.
A simple basic ignition assembly consists of a voltage source (battery or a transformer running on line current), wires (leads) one connected to the spark plug (+ side of plug) and the other grounded to the body of the jet, step up coil feeds the leads just mentioned, a toggle switch to make and break the current to the step up coil. When you turn off the toggle switch the step up coil field collapses and the spark plug will generate the heat needed for ignition. The switch is connected to the primary side of the ignition coil (the low voltage side).
This is as basic a set-up as can be described. Read something on Basic Electricity.
One thing I want to mention to you is the need to use pressurized air to start the Pulse Jet Engine. Odd as it may sound to you the air is put into the engine from the exaust end of the duct. As well as the thrust wave exiting from this part of the duct, air enters to provide compression. It is a back and forth motion. Hank
Thanks, this is exactly what I want!

jet maker

Post by jet maker » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:30 pm

I've heard you don't need a spark plug and that you can use a blow torch up the tail pipe and the heat of what it goes would keep it running.
Is this true?

Mike Kirney

Starting Your Pulsejet

Post by Mike Kirney » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:47 pm

What sort of fuel are you going to use? If you use propane, I don't see why you couldn't just use a match or cigarette lighter held at the exhaust to ignite it. Some pulsejet experimenters have successfully used a bbq sparker or a welding sparker too, even with liquid fuels.

jet maker

Re: Starting Your Pulsejet

Post by jet maker » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:18 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:What sort of fuel are you going to use? If you use propane, I don't see why you couldn't just use a match or cigarette lighter held at the exhaust to ignite it. Some pulsejet experimenters have successfully used a bbq sparker or a welding sparker too, even with liquid fuels.
I'm using gasolene so if it gets hot enough it will stay running without a spark plug or bbq sparker?

Mike Kirney

Starting Your Pulsejet

Post by Mike Kirney » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:05 pm

I think you need some kind of flame or spark to start it. It won't start just from heating up the tube, although that would help vapourize your gasoline and make it easier to start with a spark or match.

sparks

about gasoline...

Post by sparks » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:53 am

Getting gasoline (or any liquid fuel) vapourised and the right mixture at the same time with an untried engine is a nice way to go permanently nuts.
In other words: it can be more difficult than you thought was possible.
Propane will make your life much easier, at least until you get to know your engine.
When everything works OK liquid fuels is a compact and often cheaper energysource.