50 and 75mm Kazoo Test Band, apply here

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

50 and 75mm Kazoo Test Band, apply here

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:41 am

OK, guys, who wants to participate in the Kazoo Optimization of Fueling (KOF!)
I've got 40' of material coming tomorrow. A few iterations, and I'll have (hopefully) functioning 2" and 3" Kazoos for fun and profit. Mostly fun.

Seriously, it would be nice to have some of you guys experimenting with wild fueling techniques, shotgun fashion. I'll make unfueled, unsparked tubes available for cheap, or full finished with spark and propane perforated tube for something more than cheap. Or squash your own, I'll put the dimensions here, though typically there's a minimum buy on the tube and you'll need a press, etc.; but I'll also show a technique for squishing with some lumber and a car-jack soon.

I'm going for the Kentfield 4-pipe proportions this time, in 2" and 3" tube, lengths preliminarily 19.3" and 29" respectively, wall thickness .049 and .035" respectively again.

Who wants to play?
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

John Werner

Post by John Werner » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:58 am

Hi Mike,

Count me in. Name your price and I'll send you a check.

I'd like to do both the 2 and 3 inch versions fully presed and with spark plug. I'll handle the fuel line.

John Werner

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:22 pm

Mike
If you want some cold weather testing, I'm your man cause it is snowin again in Buffalo. If you're into that, make mine a big one, plug it and add a little stinger if you please. Might be best to start with something that we know runs in less than artic weather, I can always make changes later. Just show us the way to your bank (PayPal?), then squash and ship.
Dave

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:11 pm

Hi Mike

As Graham has been knocking his head on this one for so long myself and Nick thought it would be a good idea to get one for the Albion team.

We like to have a few things to test when we visit Penamunda gorge:-)

Let us know the price and ask Graham what version he wants.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:56 pm

Great! Give me a few weeks to see if the shorter Kentfield proportions work, then I will post what's what on price and delivery. I think PayPal is the way to go, and I will only ask for payment when I am about to ship. Please email me at "everman at bell-everman dot com" so I can update you on general progress via group email, as well as on this thread.

I can't hazard a guess on pricing at the moment. It will be fair, I assure you! These initial units will be steel, which helps a bit on cost.

Viv, I'm sure Graham wants as big a Kazoo as I can make!
Attachments
braaght, med res.jpg
(116.92 KiB) Downloaded 857 times

resosys

Post by resosys » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:14 pm

Mike, sounds like fun!

I'll start looking for tubing that has similar traits. Maybe I can squash the 5" tubing I have at the shop!

I'm working on some more videos of pulsejet runs, including the one with you in it, to be posted soon.

Also, this weekend we're having a performance art show at the gallery, where a pulsejet will be used to blow paint at people and canvas. This wasn't my idea, nor is it my thing, but it should be an interesting event. We usually draw 1000 people to our gallery shows. I'll post video and images when they become available.

Looking forward to the specs.

Chris

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:09 am

Cool, Chris! If you want to give me the dimensions of your 5" pipe I'll post the Kazoo for it. I'll be posting the new calculator tonight with boundary layer correction (simplistic, but something).
happy paint splattering and noise making!!

I ordered a half dozen 10mm sparkplugs. Oh frubtious day, kalloo, kallay.

Mark

Leonardo de Valveless

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:10 pm

Mike,
If you get really good you might just gather a crowd and whack a pipe with a hammer like a sculptor chisels marble, and razzle the onlookers with your blacksmith/artistic skills, forming a running jet in seconds flat!
Mark

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 pm

Also, this weekend we're having a performance art show at the gallery, where a pulsejet will be used to blow paint at people and canvas. This wasn't my idea, nor is it my thing, but it should be an interesting event. We usually draw 1000 people to our gallery shows. I'll post video and images when they become available.

Looking forward to the specs.
Chris[/quote]

Painting people with pulsejets, seems an interesting twist. You never know, there might be a potential for some award winning photography. I would have liked to attend. Seems like a Burning Man or SRL slant. There was one clip I downloaded from SRL where the exhaust spun a two-sided picture or image mounted on a shaft.
I remember a heart shaped key ring I saw when I was a kid that had a flat spinning heart shape inside this outer heart frame. On either side it had hieroglyfics, but when thunked with your finger it would spin and spell out I Love You. Where was it that had the spinning disk valves that were tried on pulsejets? They would only run with forced air though.
Mark
Last edited by Mark on Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:54 pm

PS I wonder if the spinning disk valves would work well on a pulsejet with forward air speed?
Mark

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:51 pm

It would need a governor to tightly follow the sweet frequency...

Rescyou

International

Post by Rescyou » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:18 pm

Mike, though I doubt it applies, you may want to consult with the Feds and ensure this is not on the ban list for exports if you are going to ship these things out of country.

To get you off the hook a tad with them I would assume a more favorable name such as "Fuel Injected Bassoon", would be more appropriate then anything with "Jet" or "Missile" in it... though "Mike Musical Missile" does have a ring.. or in a buzz in this case.

I do have the electronics and the fuel injectors that can puke out fuel pulses to a beat if need be.. I dream of one day pulsing out "The Chicken Dance" so that all around me can also be inspired or in that failure of that, it would at least be great for crowd control.
s.
The mind of a man is the man himself.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:31 pm

Shane,
I'd thought about the name change for export, I like the ideas, thanks. I was thinking "Base Kazoo" or "Furnace Parts" or "Automatic Raspberry". As to the song, you think the valves are up to "Flight of the Bumble-Bee"?

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:43 pm

Sorry Mikes musical missile just does it for me:-)

can we order one please

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

resosys

Post by resosys » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:50 pm

Mark wrote:Painting people with pulsejets, seems an interesting twist. You never know, there might be a potential for some award winning photography. I would have liked to attend. Seems like a Burning Man or SRL slant. There was one clip I downloaded from SRL where the exhaust spun a two-sided picture or image mounted on a shaft.
It is an interesting twist. There will be some nekkid people too. Definitely a Burningman twist since my studio mates and the gallery operators are all Burningman artists.

It's bound to get us some good local publicity.

The initial tests were pretty silly. One of the crew stood in front of the engine with goggles on. When the paint went into the exhaust, he instantly turned completely green. It moves the paint pretty quickly!

Now to CNC the paint color and jet angle to paint murals in seconds!