TP180-18 starting to take shape!!

Moderator: Mike Everman

NickC
Antipspambot question: 0

re: TP180-18 starting to take shape!!

Post by NickC » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:06 pm

let me clarify this a little more. the motor doesn't "die" after the liquid fuel it just goes back to torch mode. so maybe if I gave it some forced air to heat it up a little I could get it running?

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:34 am

Dont add any more to the engine, the dimensions on the plans dont need to be added to.

How much over 11" is the intake? It shouldnt cause it not to run but later you might want to have it reduced to the length in the plans.

Did you try opening the rosscojector up?

I think that is your problem when you say no adjustibility, since the rosscojector when closed all the way will extremely limit fuel flow, and you can open the valve a little and max out the flow.

If you are using an injector for propane and a burner nozzle for the liquid, then just go with a straight tube with the propane. Straight tubes dont need any adjusting. If it doesnt work with the straight tube then go back and try shortening the intake.

The extra bit on the intake shouldnt be causing this much problem, and I have a feeling you have the rosscojector way to restrictive.

Let me know how you have things set up. Also about how far do you have the injector in the intake?

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

NickC

Post by NickC » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:02 am

maybe you're right about the rosscojector, but if I open it up more and it flows better won't my flow restricting "click" valve on the tank make it so there isn't a difference? i gave the guy a 12" piece of stainless tube and said cut it after you flare it for more accurate measurements, and he forgot to cut it. he did all the stuff for free tho so i cant really complain. it's like 11.6" or so.

The injector array :) , an 80° S-S oilburner nozzle and 1/4" OD copper tube straight cut roscojector, sprays about 1/2" or less from the end of the intake. I felt I needed to get the oilburner nozzle on the further side of the placement tolerances since it needs more room for mixing.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:33 am

Arrrgg that damn valve....

Try to borrow another tank, the older 20 pounders shouldnt have the valves, and you could at least run both at once and double the fuel flow.

I normally tell people to not trade in their tanks at those "trade in refil" spots, but it might be worth it to go to one and see if they have tanks with or without the valves and get a trade in. Just make sure they dont give you a rusty old piece of crap, make sure the valve and the threads are in good condition. Then once you get a good tank that doesnt have the click valve just keep it and get it refilled at a normal place.

If your only giving it enough fuel to keep the valve from clicking, your going to have the engine running at a very very low idle, probably barely running at all which isnt going to be very stable for introducing liquid fuel without some playing around with and adjustments to very slowly add liquid fuel.

If your neighbors thought it was loud at that power level, they are in for a big suprise when you get a tank with unrestricted flow.

Does the engine glow when you get it running? If you refer to the TP-180- 18 video on the cd / forum you can hear the difference in how the engine sounds to help diagnose what kind of power level your getting.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

NickC

Post by NickC » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:47 am

no it doesn't even glow yet. I add a little liquid flow and it picks up a little and it gets a little red in the front part of the chamber. i'm so pressed on time right now too. I may just kill the diesel fuel run too (that's gonna be a bitch to get lit!) and theme it with the benefits of alcohol fuel compared to gasoline and do a little bit of jet-to-world relationship with the whole ethanol fuel thing.

If I can get it to sustain in torch mode (following a drop off of jet mode) on gasoline (it's 93, should i try 87??) then ill feed it some more air and get it running a little stronger.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:00 am

Ok then yea your definately running at an extremely low level which is the source of your problems when trying to transition to liquids.

Definately try to get a tank without the valve.

Just a little more propane should give you enough power to transition back and forth without any problems.

Eric

NickC

Post by NickC » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:54 am

i just dont know where I can get another tank. I think if I give it more air with the liquid fuel, it's gasoline after all it should ignite fairly easily, i can heat it up some. I dunno, maybe i'll find someone who will let me borrow their tank.

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:35 pm

I'm a little confused. I'm not far from you, Nick. I would imagine that we would get same type of tank if we exchanged ours at a gas station. I've never had any trouble with the fuel shutting off, even with a 50lb lockwood. Try exchanging your tank for a different one and see what happens, it's worth a shot for $16.00.

NickC

Post by NickC » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:58 pm

im kinda in "suburbia", politicalcorrectland, sue happy people, etc. so I think it might make a difference. I'll try anyhow tho.

where do you live? ballground/roswell area?

what brand did you get? Blue Rhino, American PPX, or what? ive heard Blue Rhino tanks have weird valves or something.

jerry marra

Post by jerry marra » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:32 pm

hello,

nickc, most towns today are mandated to recycle there aluminum,metals ect,

Find out were the closest recycling center is in your area and you will find hundreds of 20lbs propane tanks for free,especialy the old one since the federal change to the new valve ,but some places still fill them.

I hate the new valves and modifing them i dont recomment unless you can place a hight flow back preventor in your line.
I know that its unlikely that flames will flow back into the tank but why chance it.

If not nick, it pays for all of us to purchase the tanks eric mentioned ,the ones for industrial use such as forklift.

This way you dont have to experiment with fuel pressure and flow.

thanks

pulso57

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:29 pm

Fire cant go back into the tank, in a purged tank there is no oxygen on the inside, and considerable pressure. When the engine causes back pressure it will reduce the flow rate, which will lower the fuel flow rate and self limit the pressure gain.

Cabella's sells propane tanks, the one group says that they have overflow protection on them, which you dont want, but there is another 20 pounder that doesnt mention any overflow protection and its only 29 bucks. Probably too late for it, but maybe for the future it might be worth calling to see if it has the valve or not.

Did you get your tank at a local company that refil's them? Sometimes they are decent about letting you trade them in, just tell them you need it for a high flow weed burner torch and every time you try to use it the valve shuts.

Then if you cant do that then I would check out one of the refil swap locations.

Eric

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:02 pm

actually... where do you just get these things refilled without swapping? I didn't know you could do that... Also, how would I find out? I really don't know what to look for...

PS: oh, and I do think I have some older tanks without the shutoff thingy, I think I should get these things refilled "properly". I really don't want a tank to shutoff!
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

NickC

Post by NickC » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:02 am

FULL THROTTLE TO RICH EXTINCTION BITCHES!!!!!!

I has this biznizatch glowing bright yellow. I got it running on gasoline and diesel/kero but not methanol! Who'd of thought that the fuels that have lower cetane (ignition) ratings would be the ones that run easier?

STANDBY FOR VIDEOS!!! (i only got a diesel one tho)

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:28 am

Awesome! Good job! Did you open the injector to get just a little more propane or did you just get it going by playing around with it?

If you can make an emulsion, Try Methanol and 20% gasoline to help with the ignition by creating some different vapors.

What did the neighbors think of the new level of sound? :D

Eric

Impatiently waiting for pictures and video :D

NickC

Post by NickC » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:53 am

emulsion??

as far as the rosscojector goes, no. I just left it alone, swapped tanks (still got a click valve, damn it) but it seemed to have a slightly higher flow.

Another interesting thing, the fuel liked to be "kicked" on as opposed to bled in. My assumption is that the oilburner nozzle would start dripping/poorly atomizing the fuel at the lower pressures and kill the flame.

My friend's dad just so happens to work at a very large facility with car guys, Georgia Tech grads, etc. that are into this kinda stuff (he is too!). So there was a perfect gravel road with metal sheets layed over the potholes. perfect spot! I staked the the stand into th gravel and set up my setup on a metal plate.

the other cool part about that shop is that it is giant!! has an unimaginable amount of machinery CNC controlled and manual, literally I could fill up an entire notebook just naming the machinery, walls upon walls and rooms upon rooms were machinery laden and i walked passed like what must of 60 buckets each full of different diameter steel rods. THEN!! the coolest part was that there are race cars every! Le Mans, RX-8s, RX-7s, Formula Mazda, Mazda RX-792s, Prototype looking cars, everything Mazda!!! There were rotary engine blocks everywhere getting CNC ported too! AND!! There is a whole private go-kart track in there too! this place is soooo big they use razor scooters to get around. My friend's dad works on the far side of the shop and he uses a gas scooter to get around! Anyhow, they were more than happy to host my pulsejet and it worked out to be an awesome night, except for the Taco Bell guying trying to rip me off of my caramel apple empanda but I drove back and told him he "forgot", then I ate it while I reaked of diesel fuel :).

The videos are uploading onto YouTube as I type!