Aerosol cans

Moderator: Mike Everman

Jim Berquist
Antipspambot question: 0

Aerosol cans

Post by Jim Berquist » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:16 am

Has anyone used aerosol cans to build a Ram Jet?

There lite, The bottom of the can could be reversed and made into a flame holder! You could cut and form the cone and just rivet to test it out. Even the Spray end of the can could maybe be used to form the intake or end cone...

I was thinking of trying it and driving one with the Little Thermojet Eric
built!!!!

Any Feed back???

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Irvine.J

re: Aerosol cans

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:13 am

Yeah Mr Burquist My first little ramjet attempt was with an aerosole can, they are insanely hard to weld without blowing a hole through...
the best idea i found for a good weld with them is leave the seal ring at the bottom of the can, and cut the bottom out of another can with your standard can opener. Simply the bottom seal ring is about .5mm thick metal and should help you weld the front nozzle and the pre-made flameholder area together nicely. If you use the top of the can with the "Spout" at the rear, you can cut most of it away leaving you a pre-made ramjet exhaust nozzle as it should be nice n curved.
Goodluck with it, I still play with my ramjet made from a paint tin occassionally, it looks ghastly though :D

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:53 pm

actually... I've been saving a few of those for that exact purpose... I'm SURE you can do it, but, once again, blowing holes in it may be a problem...

PS: I did use the curved bottom for the flameholder, took me hours to get rid of that excess material on the propane bottle bottom, but I did it!
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

Najm

Post by Najm » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:23 am

I only make the combustion chamber with aerosol cans , the interesting thing is that sometimes the paint doesn't burn off.

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:56 pm

Irvine.j

Please call me Jim! I have not been a Sir or Mr in a long time and like it that way..

Your Idea of welding the can rims is good , Thank you. I need to find a few small aerosol cans to play with as the tail on the little P.J. is only 1,3/8" plus the flair...

Najm: I don't know what they use , some kind of lacquer , I've seen cans that have been Burnt and you can still read the print.

Thank you all: Jim

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:06 am

hehe, go spray your pulsejet with some high temp paint! you'll have a few cans in no time! (either that or empty some old cans of spraypaint)

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:36 am

TheCheat!

I need some small cans. Like maybe underarm stuff or small cans of some sort. Your going to laugh!!!!! I just got the thought of Cheese Whiz!!! Ya! that's about the right size!!!

It's on the shopping list. That and a box of crackers and I'm in....My six year old will empty them in no time...Haa!

I'm working 50-60 hours a week again and Just not much time...+++ it's cold!!!!!!

Jim

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:51 am

lol, get that and some whipcream! you can add some ice cream for flavor if you need to...

maybe you could find one of these... (this was a sample by Coca-Cola, I wanted my dad to get some more... I don't even know if they'll make them, but it sure is cool! I haven't butchered it yet as well... so far it's the only one I've ever seen!)

it's aluminum, so it'd be a toughy to weld, but, on the bright side, you'ld probably only have to make one cut! scrounge the bottom for a flameholder, and you could probably rivet it on!

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:29 am

My wife said she has seen them before but have sence been taken of the shelf. The can of Coke costed $2.00 a pop......Butwasher had a can simular to that I think my wife sent the one I found on the road to the recycle plant...I do not do Butwasher........

I do have a can made by ENE energy drinks that looks cool....

Heavey guige aluminum , I will post photo tomarrow if I have time...

Jim

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:32 pm

Before you spend a lot of time and effort welding up aerosol cans, please note the following, especially, the 'Death of Fo Mi Chin' thread:

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1767
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1848
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2289

L Cottrill
Attachments
Fo_Mi_Chin_jock2_small.jpg
Fo Mi Chin - not a ramjet, but a running engine made from a shaving cream pressure can. Photo Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
Fo_Mi_Chin_jock2_small.jpg (122.13 KiB) Viewed 18059 times

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:37 pm

Hmm... would it be possible (though one heck of a job to do) to add some cooling fins? yeah you don't get as beautiful a glow from the body, but it would keep it intact...

I thought of another option for aluminum. Get a few butane refill cans! Not THAT cheap... but they are decently thick... and hey, maybe you could run your engine off of the extra cans!

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:46 pm

I got an empty propane torch that I might play with one day...but I am afraid that some propane impregnated itself into the walls of the steel and that could lead to bad things during cutting and welding. Its essentially a thick aerosol can, could work
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:46 pm

oh, by the way... that's what I built my ramjet out of... three empty 20oz propane torch bottles.

They're 20 gauge mild steel, and once you get the cutting done with, and have the bottle open, there's little to worry about... Oh, the impregnated propane smells kinda bad while you weld, but not a problem at all, not even a fire hazard.

PS: If you are going to cut into it, I'd suggest going SLOW, and use manual tools, and gloves, and some eye protection.

PS: just tried quick welding a hole shut on a little thin paint can on my TIG... I dunno if having the argon way up screwed it up (forgot to adjust it to the proper flowrate, had it at 60CFH... oops...) But I just blazed holes in it... yeah, that's going to be hard to weld together...

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:42 am

TheCheat:

The energy drink can I have is the same type can....

Pope rivets may hold it together long enough to see what it will do.

As soon as I can find the time, I will give it a go!!

Larry: Fo Mi Chin is alright. What was the life time on the Can section?

Jim

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:31 am

Bahahah! Larry that photo of you is pure gold!!! I'm in stitches over here!!!
I think it says alot of cool things about your personality, that picture should definantly find some prime real-estate on your website!