Got me a new mill!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Got me a new mill!

Post by Johansson » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:06 pm

I bought myself an early christmas present last week, a lathe and a mill complete with "everything" I will need like a rotary table and such. The mill arrived yesterday so I´ve spent two days cleaning out the garage, setting up the stand and mounting the mill on it. It weighs 280 kg so it was one heavy bastard to lift onto the stand...

//Anders
Attachments
Fräsen 3.JPG
Fräsen 3.JPG (35.11 KiB) Viewed 16313 times
Fräsen 2.JPG
Fräsen 2.JPG (51.84 KiB) Viewed 16310 times

Bo Danerius

Re: Got me a new mill!

Post by Bo Danerius » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:27 am

Johansson wrote:I bought myself an early christmas present last week, a lathe and a mill complete with "everything" I will need like a rotary table and such. The mill arrived yesterday so I´ve spent two days cleaning out the garage, setting up the stand and mounting the mill on it. It weighs 280 kg so it was one heavy bastard to lift onto the stand...

//Anders
Sweet :) /Bo

Mike Everman

re: Got me a new mill!

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:03 pm

Ah, women come and go, but there's nothing like a new machine tool or a new truck!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:21 pm

True, very true. When my girlfriend is old and wrinkled the mill is still like new, no sloppy handles or knobs at all... *LOL*

//Anders

tufty

Re: re: Got me a new mill!

Post by tufty » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:10 am

Johansson wrote:True, very true. When my girlfriend is old and wrinkled the mill is still like new, no sloppy handles or knobs at all...
"sloppy handles"? That sounds extremely dirty.

Nice mill, though :)

simon

Anders Troberg

Post by Anders Troberg » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:38 pm

Best of all, girlfriends/wives in Sweden don't mind getting a good mill (en rejäl fräs)...

(If you don't understand Swedish, don't bother trying to understand the above joke. It don't translate well.)

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Fricke » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:33 pm

Anders T:

Haha! That was soo funny!

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:41 pm

He he, that one was nice!

I hope that the lathe arrives before the next weekend so I can throw out the old Myford, it has been passed down through three generations so it has seen better days.

Does anyone know of any good books on how to use a mill and lathe? I can make "basic" things with them but haven´t for example tried to make splines, cogs or threads yet, so it would be nice to read about it so I won´t I break anything... ;-)

//Anders

Julle

Post by Julle » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:10 pm

Nice millingmachine!
It will make wonders in the hands of a person with visions!

Here are two pictures of the transport of my second mill, slightly larger....
The price was Ok, 20000Sek ($2100) complete with working Heidenhain TNC155 CNC system.
Weight is 12800kg (28200lbs), sorry no pictures from my shop, but looks nice since I use woodenlaminatefloor, prototypes is expensive to make and floor is cheap to change.
Attachments
Oerlikon KC4.JPG
Oerlikon KC4.JPG (29.54 KiB) Viewed 16162 times
Heavy load.JPG
Heavy load.JPG (32.36 KiB) Viewed 16161 times

Fricke
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Fricke » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:14 pm

Johansson wrote:...so I can throw out the old Myford, it has been passed down through three generations so it has seen better days.
Don´t throw the Myford out! It´s one of the better small lathes!! Get some Tectyl or equivalent and spray the lathe and put is some where it´s out of your way and save it.

I think Clas Ohlson still have a booklet on lathes, then there is the WWW use google ;). Then there is the Karlebo book, and quite a few more books.

//F

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:28 pm

A friend of mine has been interested in buying it earlier, otherwise I will store it until I have time to reapair it.

Julle: THAT is a mill! Did you buy it personally or have you got a machine shop?

//Anders

Julle

Post by Julle » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:22 pm

Myford is a nice machine, very popular for home mechanics. It is quite old but easy to restore, other similary popular one is Blomquist, often seen in ads followed by very high price... :?

The millingmachine was bought on speculation, if it breakesdown it will probably be scrapped, lucky for me it seems "bullitproof", very nice to work with due to the height of the table and also powerful. Not to forget the weight makes it stable when cutting. 8)

Oerlikon KC4 mill is not the biggest... the 8m long Poreba mill weighs in at a little over 95000kg (209400lbs) :shock:

Normaly I work with injectionmoulds for the plasticindustry, it means things not bigger than 150-200kg, as a hobbymachine I use a Abene VHF TNC3.
Sorry all of you not close to northern part of Europe but if anyone constructs something that needs a CNC- machine to manufacture my price for things related to a hobby is 150Sek/hour.

Bo Danerius

Post by Bo Danerius » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:20 am

Julle wrote: Normaly I work with injectionmoulds for the plasticindustry, it means things not bigger than 150-200kg, as a hobbymachine I use a Abene VHF TNC3.
Sorry all of you not close to northern part of Europe but if anyone constructs something that needs a CNC- machine to manufacture my price for things related to a hobby is 150Sek/hour.
Whats the name of your company? /Bo

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:08 pm

Johansson wrote:He he, that one was nice!

I hope that the lathe arrives before the next weekend so I can throw out the old Myford, it has been passed down through three generations so it has seen better days.

Does anyone know of any good books on how to use a mill and lathe? I can make "basic" things with them but haven´t for example tried to make splines, cogs or threads yet, so it would be nice to read about it so I won´t I break anything... ;-)

//Anders
Hi Anders,

try these guys, http://www.camdenmin.co.uk/EngPrac.htm
if there isnt what you want here you arnt looking hard enough :-)

Cheers

Nick

jthompso

Post by jthompso » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:02 pm

http://wewilliams.net/SBLibrary.htm

That site has a lot of scans of southbend lathe materials--I think some of it is pretty interesting reading, I hope it helps!