New... big...ramjet (plans-movie to come)

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

re: New... big...ramjet (plans-movie to come)

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:37 pm

Man, what excitement - I can't wait to see and hear it !!!

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:39 pm

Movies are waiting in your email! ENJOY! Let me know what your think, or if its operating ok.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Number47 -

Just one more thing: You should provide a "quick cutoff" type valve (like a ball valve) DESIGNED FOR GAS in your fuel line, and well anchored to something solid. The reason is that, if you're running that big boy pretty hard and your blower suddenly conks out, you're in for a nasty surprise (some of which you've seen already). You need something that will let you kill fuel flow right NOW. It can take what seems like a mighty long time to screw down a tank valve or needle valve in an emergency!

Unfortunately, I won't get to see your videos until I get home, which will be several hours from now (it's not quite 10:00 AM here yet). But, I will be glad to critique them for you ;) A few friends and I were once SERIOUS amateur filmmakers, back in the days of Super 8mm film. I still have my old camera, and a sound recorder that will synchronize with it, frame-by-frame (or you can run it crystal-controlled, which means it could stay in sync for many minutes with a modern video camera!).

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

Re: Movies have arrived! Part I and 2!!! (of 3)

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:36 pm

Ladies and gentlemen... PART 2 Has arrived!! MUAHAHAHA!!!
This is the first serious engine I have ever made... apart from that crazy little can-o-ramjet. Enjoy the movies! I look foward to your comments! For those who didn't see part one find it here-
PART I - Making the jet
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/216179/ma ... al_ramjet/

And now...
PART II - Mangy-jet goes boom!
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/219606/mangy_jet_part_2/

Special thanks to larry for all his help!
In the testing phase, I was turning the gas on and off, and it would just keep firing on, totally stoked! Again I look foward to any comments on the video's. Thanks again all!

Irvine.J

Would like some feedback on the "Burninator"

Post by Irvine.J » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:43 am

Guys I was hoping to get some feedback on the operating characterists of my first serious engine. (Shown in part II-Link to the movie above on metacafe) It seems to be working quite well, but I'd still like to hear any comments on how its working in Part II. It has some interesting feautres like the exhaust flare looks alot like a square cone on certain angles. If there is anything that deosn't seem to be working properly please let me know, or any advice on modifications that should be made I would very much like to hear it. I'll post some photos of it running real soon so you can see it in action without a fast internet connection.
Thanks
James.

Irvine.J

Exhast photo's

Post by Irvine.J » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:12 pm

Here a couple of photo's of the exhaust flare in sequence.
Also, how do you make it so the photo's show on the forum without having to click download?
Attachments
11.GIF
(243.83 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
12.GIF
(243.49 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
13.GIF
(243.82 KiB) Downloaded 503 times

tufty

Post by tufty » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:18 pm

I'm not sure, but it looks to be running rich; I'd expect any visible flame to be blue rather than orange. Could well be wrong, though.

Still, it's cool. Or hot. Or something :)

As for the "download" thing, it's to do with the size of the images - anything over a certain limit (around 100K, IIRC) will show up as download links rather than being inline.

Simon

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:06 am

Cool

For some reason, (my dialup sucks), the videos dont even start to download, its not that its taking too long to buffer, I probably need update my codecs and stuff cause i just get an x where the video should be.

The pics look great though.

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Irvine.J

New big ramjet - DISASTER befowled me!

Post by Irvine.J » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:37 pm

Well it was fun whilst it lasted... I got too cocky and ran liquid gas, was running insane, till it blew some hot chuncks out the back and started to run wierd, I cut off the gas, and shook it and something just didn't feel right. So I pulled out the impeder... here was the result....

Man I love this stuff, learn something new every day...And I still have all my fingers and toes... what a day it was. Damn shame though... I'll just have to make another Muahahah.
Attachments
jimbo 003.jpg
jimbo 003.jpg (58.82 KiB) Viewed 9113 times
jimbo 004.jpg
jimbo 004.jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 9113 times