Registration code.

Moderator: Mike Everman

JetSet
Antipspambot question: 0

Registration code.

Post by JetSet » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:21 pm

Hi.

There is a phpBB mod that will add a security code as an image to the registration page that people must enter into a box before they can procede with registration. This will have the effect of refusing bots to join the forum, therefore minimising spam postings that have started up.

I have been a member of another forum that effectively ended because spam reached over 10 messages a day with new fake users signing up all the time.

Just a suggestion, but may be worth looking.
JS.

tufty

Re: Registration code.

Post by tufty » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:26 am

JetSet wrote:Hi.

There is a phpBB mod that will add a security code as an image to the registration page that people must enter into a box before they can procede with registration. This will have the effect of refusing bots to join the forum, therefore minimising spam postings that have started up.

I have been a member of another forum that effectively ended because spam reached over 10 messages a day with new fake users signing up all the time.

Just a suggestion, but may be worth looking.
JS.
I've dealt with captcha (several implementations of it)

Firstly, many implementations (particularly including the phpBB version) are utterly lamentable. I've actually seen one implementation that passes the "captcha" phrase in the html as a hidden form variable <sigh>)
Secondly, the vast majority can actually be relatively accurately (i.e. better than 80% chance of getting it right) parsed out by machine; this is actually a much better rate than someone who is colourblind might get on a captcha that includes colour

On the other hand, if the mods are having a hard time of it with spam, it might help. Just be aware that it's not a magic bullet, and it's far from being accessible.

Simon

Mike Everman

re: Registration code.

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:10 pm

So far not a problem. I deleted a spam yesterday, but that was the first not caught by other mods in over a month. Thanks, though, JetSet.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.