Scrapheap Challenge featuring Bruce Simpson

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Scrapheap Challenge featuring Bruce Simpson

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:05 pm

Has anyone seen today's Scrapheap Challenge? We don't get British programs in Croatia, and I only saw a description on their website, which sounded like great fun. A big point scored by Bruce.

Does anyone have comments after seeing the show?

Bruno

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:09 am

Yeah, we even had time to add an augmentor during "tinker-time" on competition day.

Although I haven't seen the show yet myself, I noticed that in the promos they just had to include a shot of the engine flaming out -- large sheets of flame issuing from the tailpipe.

This happened because it was an incredibly hot/still/calm day and the poor old engine ate up all the oxygen around it because we were messing around too long before taking off.

It was also not good weather for being stuck inside a suit of fireproof underwear and leathers for ten hours non-stop -- nor for sitting just inches from a red-hot roaring pulsejet :-)

But the pulsejet beat the turbojet on the day and someone else was paying for the propane so it was a great experience.

This episode also screens in the USA sometime before Christmas.

Hopefully it will introduce a lot of new people to the wonderful world of pulsejets.

scott lawson

Post by scott lawson » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:33 pm

i only saw the very end of it, where they actually raced the karts, it was definately interesting to watch.

bruces team with the valveless won in the end after succesfully completing three runs, getting faster each time, but the other team who were using a turbocharger jet i think only managed two runs before something broke. and there afterburner didnt work at all.

i think the pulsejet driven engine was a whole 10 seconds faster than the turbine one but then again there afterburner didnt work so not really a fair comparison i guess.

but even tho i only saw the race it was still pretty interesting. hopefully they will show it again sometime soon.

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:22 pm

we are only up to the end of the 2002 season here in New Zealand. The final was on friday, but im looking forward to the 2003 season in 2004 ;)

Stephen

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:34 pm

Stephen, next week in the same time-slot on Prime TV there's a "best of Scrapheap" episode so that might be interesting.

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:10 am

Im hoping they will put another series of monster garage on! That is cool!!

Stephen

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:51 am

Monster garage is too filled with "dude" stuff and hype for me.

They can't even get the narration accurate. I've lost count the number of times they've called an oxy-acetylene cutting torch a plasma cutter and v/v.

About the only worthwhile thing I've seen on MG was when they shot the snot out of that RX7 with a minigun. But did you notice that they cheated and took the engine out of it first??? Boooo!

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:04 pm

There is alot of that, But i really just like what they can do to standard cars! its what i can dream of and cant afford!

Stephen

Ray(in England)

Scrapheap Challenge

Post by Ray(in England) » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:35 pm

I watched all the S.C. progr. on Sunday.
Very enjoyable,especially the race at the end.
Very impressed by Bruce's ability and admirable conduct,he even started his competitors' engine each time.

scott lawson

Post by scott lawson » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:13 pm

they started his too though ;) i wonder if the result would have been different if the afterburner worked???

guess we will never know

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:30 pm

[quote="scott lawson"]i wonder if the result would have been different if the afterburner worked???
----------

I don't think so. At this level of complexity, I am quite certain a pulsejet will beat a truck turbocharger jet. Especially in such a low-speed application. Remember also that a pulsejet is easy to scale up -- the turbocharger thing has a much more constrained size.

A more interesting thing would be to have both run on a set amount of propane, say, a gallon. Give both teams identical carts to use as platforms. Leave everything else completely free. I wonder which one would win.

Bruno

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:10 pm

i got it taped while i was away, still have yet to watch most of it, only up to when the thieves that they are stole your tubing for thier jet :o)

T.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Hank

I'm waiting

Post by Hank » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:33 am

Hello, I'm definitely waiting to see this one. I like the social analysis undercurrent that goes with these Scrapyard/Junkyard shows.
My favorite (probably until I view Simpson & Co.'s efforts) was the glider building competition. I understand the relations of the guy who got the Rolls. I was married that way once, myself.

There seems to be an insurgance of interest in Medevial Warfare. I watched a competition of Trebouchets attempting to spall a wall earlier this evening. The best TV comes from Europe, for sure.

Hank

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: I'm waiting

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:56 am

Hank wrote:The best TV comes from Europe, for sure.

Hank
----------

From Great Britain, you mean. Can't say I've seen much that is good elsewhere.

Oh, there was that quiz on the Italian TV in which the competitors won money for good answers but had to strip an item of clothing when they lost. I liked that one, but can't really remember whether it was really good or bad. I concentrated on competitors.

Interestingly, no ugly (or even just plain) ladies appeared to run. Obviously, they weren't chosen by a written test...

Bruno

PS. Yes, I know it's an off-topic topic. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:16 pm

i too saw the trebuchet challenge. quite simply one of the most spectacular failures i have ever seen :o)
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.