Landing from free fall without a parachute !!!

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Landing from free fall without a parachute !!!

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:50 pm

From the same people that brought you the rocket flying belt -- a flying suit that will allow you to land from free fall without a parachute!

Here's what the news says:

Pioneer B.A.S.E. jumper Jeb Corliss and Go Fast!® - sponsored test pilot Luigi Cani, have paved the way for a world record landing attempt of a wing-suit—minus a parachute. Jeb and Luigi teamed up to gauge speeds and gather data to safely land Jeb’s wing-suit. Testing was critical, as no one has ever survived a landing attempt without a parachute. Jeb flew in free fall donning a parachute alongside Luigi, who was at the controls of the world’s smallest and fastest parachute—known as the ICARUS VX-39. The two were able to gather data using GPS systems attached to Luigi that tracked exact forward speeds, exact fall rate and glide angles needed for a safe landing.

After two days of test piloting, Jeb Corliss said landing the wing-suit was possible as early as next year. “We found there is a definite and reasonable speed for a landing attempt sometime next summer. We’re now developing four different types of technologies to land safely—it’s very important to land with zero injuries,â€

Jonny69

re: Landing from free fall without a parachute !!!

Post by Jonny69 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:11 pm

I might be wrong here but for you to be gliding with a wingspan that small you'll have to be travelling some. You could land on your chest but you're still going to be travelling at some serious speed, just horizontally not vertically.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:57 pm

Well, we haven't seen what they are really planning to do. The videos are only of their glide path and speed measurements. BTW, I'm really impressed by the glide ratio; I thought the thing was sinking much faster than it does.

But frankly, I can't imagine what they think they've got up their sleeve that will enable you to touch down in one piece.

It is interesting to see, however, that the lead guy with the paraglider keeps the same speed as the man with the flying suit. I had no idea that a 'chute can fly so fast.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: re: Landing from free fall without a parachute !!!

Post by Viv » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:27 am

Jonny69 wrote:I might be wrong here but for you to be gliding with a wingspan that small you'll have to be travelling some. You could land on your chest but you're still going to be travelling at some serious speed, just horizontally not vertically.
Ha! as a biker I merely chuckle at the thought of landing at serious horizontal speed:-)

Having tried it at 130 Mph I can tell you its not the first part thats dangerous its the last part under 40 mph:-) Barry sheen tried it at 180 bless him.

hinote

Post by hinote » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:55 am

Bruno Ogorelec wrote: But frankly, I can't imagine what they think they've got up their sleeve that will enable you to touch down in one piece.
Lots of these "personal flight" concepts rely on the same techniques.

The hangglider guys have been converting airspeed into dynamic energy for landing--almost from the very start. My old buddy Brian Porter has foot-launched and -landed almost every form of ultralight since the early '70's--up to and including the Swift--a really high-performance rigid flying wing.

The "trick" appears to be the same for all, to the observer; diving to increase the retained energy just before landing, the pilot carefully controls the altitude, speed and angle of attack to reduce the landing speed to the absolute minimum. It really works!!

One only needs to look at the hawks, owls, crows, etc.--for the really professional versions of these tricks.

I suppose the question is--can this guy survive the learning curve?!?
Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

Hank

Post by Hank » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:37 am

Hello- Yes, the flare must be critical for a successful (no broken bones or ruptured organs) landing with the low aspact ratio that is probably inherent in the flight suit mentioned.
Operation Zeppelin, the Third Reich attempt to infiltrate and sabatoge Soviet industry late in the war entailed dropping agents from low altitude into the snow near industrial areas without the use of parachutes. I haven't seen any memoirs of the participants of this operation in print.
I had occasion to flare a hang-glider at high speed once. I't might be a recommended feature of this flying suit that it have a G-sensor and inflation capability so all the bits stay in place and blood pressure stays within limits.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:19 am

Viv wrote:Barry sheen tried it at 180 bless him.
Viv, you are old. I mean, no one but you and I remebers Barry Sheene and his Daytona 200 flip anymore.

I hope you remember Barry's wife, Steph, too. I can't decide which of the two was more spectacular. And both must have had a powerful impact on his physical condition.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:24 am

Hank wrote:Hello- Yes, the flare must be critical for a successful (no broken bones or ruptured organs) landing with the low aspact ratio that is probably inherent in the flight suit mentioned.
Well, yes, the low aspect ratio is precisely my point. And the wing surface available. Birds can deploy enormous wing surface relaive to their bodies when they flare. They can also flap their wings to generate some lift and shed additionsl speed...

As Bill says, it's one of those learning curves I'd rather not chance.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:16 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Viv wrote:Barry sheen tried it at 180 bless him.
Viv, you are old. I mean, no one but you and I remebers Barry Sheene and his Daytona 200 flip anymore.

I hope you remember Barry's wife, Steph, too. I can't decide which of the two was more spectacular. And both must have had a powerful impact on his physical condition.
Pff remember her? hell I still dream about her! some one once said she was the best *ucking trophy Sheen ever took home!, you have to look for the deeper English meaning in that statement:-)

As to which of the two was more spectacular? the one on the right was my favorite:-)

Viv

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Viv, I read you loud and clear. Even the deeper meanings, bwahahahaha. Barry used to be my hero. I followed his career all the way from the 125 cc Suzuki to the big bikes to his unfortunate end. He may have gone early, but what a life...

I wonder what Steph looks like today.