Gluhareff 130R power failure issue still open ... Any Idear?

Moderator: Mike Everman

luc
Antipspambot question: 125

130R power failure

Post by luc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:15 pm

Man.... I am alusinating ....

One minute I see a question about line and tank pressure and by the time I answer it .... Poufffff .... Don't see it anymore. Mannnn ... I need some sleep. This thing is strating to posess me....

Okey guys, the supersonic Nozzle simulation as been pushed to next week. I am to run a Sim on an Ejector, then I will go back to the Nozzle.

Like I said, all the new Nozzle Simulation will include Nozzle, stage 1 and stage 2. For that, I need to redo the assembly and I don't have the time before the weekend. So ... Cya Monday, and the results will probably for thuesday.

Cya ... And play safe.

Luc .................... Out

Raymond G
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Raymond G » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:23 pm

Luc,
I have attached the kind of flow field I am imagining. I see you are already modeling 1st and 2nd stages, so my flow field is a little behind, but you'll get the point. Colors as follows:

Red: Nozzle inlet condition
Green: Axis
Blue: Free stream condion
Yellow: 'Metal' surface boundaries
Magenta: 'Control' surfaces

The control surfaces are where we want to measure the flows. They may or may not be easy to setup depending upon your pre- and post- processors. Ideally you post processor will allow some sort of area summation posts, so that we can measure the flows through these surfaces. Sometimes, pre-proccessors will allow you to merge meshes so that you can explicitly create the 'control' surfaces as shown.

Your choice to model the 1st and 2nd induction stages is of course correct. Eventual we would want to model the entire induction system. I've just found in the past that CFD is very unstable, so I like to start with simpler situations first and get them stable before moving on.

Regards,
Raymond
Attachments
G8-2-130 1st Stage Flowfield 04a.gif
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 429 times

luc

130R power failure

Post by luc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:46 pm

Hi Raymond,

Here ... I have attached a picture showing you were the numbers will come from. But, between them, you will see colors and vectors that will give an idear of the speed, temp, flow and pressure.

Boundary Condition details :
Source Surface = 225 psi @ 1200° F
Surface 1 = Atmospheric, 14.69 @ 69°F
Surface 2 = Atmospheric, 14.69 @ 69°F
Surface 3 = Atmospheric, 14.69 @ 69°F

Calculation Surface Goals details :
From Surface 1 = You will get Mass flow and speed numbers
From Surface 2 = You will get Mass flow and speed numbers
From Surface 3 = You will get Mass flow, Speed, pressure and Temp.

Global Goals Conditions :
The entire assembly average static pressure, temp. and speed. Plus all the colored images and vectors.
Attachments
SupersonicTest.jpg
SupersonicTest.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 10373 times

luc

130R Power Failure

Post by luc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:55 pm

Here Raymond,

A #D view of the stack it self. You can also see the 4 surfaces and the entire assembly is the computational domaine.

I hope the setup will suite our needs.

Cya,

Luc
Attachments
SupersonicTest1.jpg
SupersonicTest1.jpg (7.57 KiB) Viewed 10372 times

Raymond G

Post by Raymond G » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:08 am

Luc,

Does your CFD allow symmetry plane type boundary conditions. If so you can eliminate the transverse inflow to the fuel jet to make your domain axisymetric, and then model only a 'pie slice' of the flow domain. i.e. instead of rotating the axisymmetric flow field a full 360 degrees about the symmetry axis, just rotate it a small amount, say 10 degrees, and apply symmetry BC's to the symmetry planes. The computational domain should now be 1/36 the size it originally was and one of your '40-60 hour' computational times should reduce to 1-2 hours!

Regards,
Raymond

PS. Is your hotmail address the right one to contact you at? Have sent another email awhile ago.

luc

130R power failure

Post by luc » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:30 pm

Good morning guys ... And Hi Raymond,

Yes, mu CFD can do symmetry boudary conditions. I did not go that in first place, because I wanted to give you all, a total simulation results. But now that you mention it, I will do it this way.

After the entire weekend, the computation is still not complete ... Yes, 66 hours of full power 2.6 Ghz CPU ... And still not complete. You can now imagine, what type of computer NASA own, to run these live, in a 1 to 1 time frame.... Geeeeeeeeee.

Results should come soon.

Cya folks

Luc ........ Out

luc

130R power failure

Post by luc » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:56 pm

Okey ... Update,

I just scraped 66 hours of calculation. I stoped the calculation, thinking I could setup the program to continu using a symmetry of the stack, but guess what .... Heinnnnnnnnn...Wrong think to do.

But, .... this simulation was getting nowere because the program had to much to calculate with, so, when restarting the simulation, I had the option of taking the previous results, wich I did. So mayby ... We did not loose all that 66 hours... He he he ... Ouupppsssss ... Sorryyyy.

Cya,

Luc ..........................Out

luc

130R power failure

Post by luc » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:00 pm

Okey Guys,

CFD simulation of Raymond's supersonic nozzle is complete. Now, If only I can get a way to transfer the file to Viv, so he can post it, then you will be able to see it. I will try tonight using my own Internet account.

Furthermore, I think it should be important to run the Gluhareff Nozzle with the intake stack, under 700 psig. @ 1200 °F, like I just did with the supersonic nozzle. This way we will be able to compare both nozzle under the same condition.

My question ... Do I run the Gluey nozzle in its intake stack at 700 psig. or we don't need that?

As soon as Viv get the files, he will post it.
Maybe some day ... I should learn how to post downloadable file to.

Regards,

Luc ......................... Out

luc

130R power failure

Post by luc » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:08 pm

Ouupppssss....

Made a mistake in my previous post and question.
The comparision is between the supersonic nozzle @ 225 psig.
and the Regular nozzle (Gluey one) @ 700 psig.

After all, this is what we are trying to achieve, match the gluey nozzle condition.

Cya .....

Luc ..................Out

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:16 pm

well soon as I get the report I will post it but nothing in the inbox yet.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

luc

130R Power failure

Post by luc » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:08 pm

Okey guys,

Let try something ... Let see if I can post a picture. How want to see my pressureJet at Max Power. We did a test yesterday and Pat took a picture.

Look....

Bye the way ... I am still trying to figure out how to transfer the repport of the Supersonic Nozzle analysis.

Cya,

Luc ....................... Out
Attachments
Jet MaxPower 1.jpg
(192.25 KiB) Downloaded 463 times

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:45 pm

Looks hot:-) they must love it when you run that puppy up in the welding bay

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

patrick35

nice pic

Post by patrick35 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:21 am

i think it's snowing in the machine shop lollll , well maybe not with the heat that produce . i go for dust on the lens ..haha .
next time i will take my digit cam , it will make a more clearly pic .

hoooo and by the way i'm anxious to see this gluey pushing the 750 pouds working table with the engine is clamped on .

did i dream again ? ...

PATRICK

Dave

Nice Picture!

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:40 am

Luc
Love the picture of the engine at full power!
Please sir, may I have another?
Dave

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:47 am

It's interesting to see the different colors, the yellow here and there around the neck. Funny, it seems to run fairly quietly in the picture. It would be informative to know how many BTU's per hour something like that produces.
Mark