O2/H2 source?

Moderator: Mike Everman

pikajedi3
Antipspambot question: 0

O2/H2 source?

Post by pikajedi3 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:56 pm

has anyone here made a O2(g) H2 (g) rocket?
can they point me in the direction of a supplier of those gases?
(if possible,in a (aq) state)
ive made a rudementry system,for mounting on something like a bicycle,but i am unable to get fuel for it.i am aware i can run it on H2O2,but i cant get it in a high concentration.

Dang911

re: O2/H2 source?

Post by Dang911 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:26 pm

Louder is ALWAYS Better!!!

Ray

Post by Ray » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:21 am

You want to mount a H2, O2 rocket motor on a BICYCLE????

Be sure to film it, somebody will want to record your entry into the Darwin awards.

Seriously, don't do this. H2, 02 rocket motors are tough to get right. They can just up and detonate with little or no warning. I can't ephasize enough, don't do this...not if you plan to live.

The idea of strapping a rocket motor to a bicycle is just foolish, its dangerous beyond belief, upping the ante to hydrogen and oxegen rockets is beyond foolish.

pikajedi3

Post by pikajedi3 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:53 am

i was under the impression that H2/O2 rockets where the most stable kind?i know they give among the most thrust...but again,i thought they where really stable..the other thing ive half made is a three wheeled chassis,a bit longer than a normal car,not as long as a "saloon" car....

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:21 pm

A hydrogen peroxide rocket that can explode at random? Correct me if I am wrong, but H2O2 is quite stable. It reacts with silver and splits up to water steam and oxygen, and heat up to 650C is released by the reaction.

A hydrogen peroxide rocket jetpack was used to light the olympic torch several years ago if I remember it correct...

Look at http://www.peroxidepropulsion.com/ to see some really cool projects!

//Anders

Edit: After reading it through again I see that you intend to use gasseous oxygen and hydrogen, and that is waaaay more dangerous. A simple hybrid engine with nitrous oxide and a solid fuel cell would be better if you want to propel a bike since N2O can be stored in lightweight C02 canisters, oxygen has to be stored in heavy steel bottles and will require much more complex valving since the bottle pressure is much higher. Be sure to learn everything about it before trying to build one though, it is one thing to launch a rocket with a brick wall between you and the rocket, but when you intend to sit on it... *smile*

pikajedi3

Post by pikajedi3 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:53 pm

well,i was intending to build a smaller scale model(not a model as such if you get what i mean but still....)to test my designs...but i will still need
O2(aq)/H2(aq) to test it...if that goes kerboom then sod it...its back to H2O2..but...my question is still unanswered

on actually looking though the thread,i must thank dang911 for that link,but i think that company is based in the USA,and the shipping to the UK,as i belive H2(aq) is treated a hazardous and handling is expensive,would be..shall we say....extortionate(i cant spell :( )

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:05 pm

Gasseous oxygen can be bought at a welding shop, you have to rent a bottle to keep it in. Liquid oxygen can be harder to get, and much more difficult to store.

Have you built any rocket engines before?

//Anders

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:13 pm

Hi,

Maybe you can take a look at this book, "Rocket Propulsion Elements, 7th ed." by George P. Sutton and Oscar Biblarz, it is commonly used as textbook in colleges, first ed published in 1949. I was lucky enough to get an used one (7th ed) from our yahoo auction, it costed me US$10.0 only, shipping included. :0)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047132 ... s&v=glance
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

Dang911

Re: re: O2/H2 source?

Post by Dang911 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:36 pm

pikajedi3 wrote:O2(aq)/H2(aq) to test it...
An aqueous solution (aq) is one mixed with water, as a solution, I don't think that's what your looking for, unless you want hydronated water possibly deuterium (deuterium oxide, heavy water), or tritium, and oxiginated water, (http://www.hiosilver.com/).

I really don't think that's what your looking for. You want these elements in there liquid state (l). In that case your talking cryogenics. Cryogenic fuels are nasty to play with unless you have the right equipment. Again im not sure if this company is based only in the us, but give it a try.
http://www.hiosilver.com/

pikajedi3

Post by pikajedi3 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:01 pm

again,thanks dang.i did mean in a liquified state,and i appreciate the....correction.

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:09 pm

Sorry, the seccond link is http://www.coleparmer.com/

HattoriHanzo

Post by HattoriHanzo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:05 pm

If you use the engine with small fuel quantity(a few couple of kg) outside in free flow air it is fairly safe to use gaseous oxygen and hydrogen. The flammability limits of gaseous hydrogen in air is about 5.0 to 70 volume%. In fuel rich combustion it is hard to make it explode.

Rocket Propulsion Elements, 7th ed is a very nice book. You can even design a working engine using that book. The first chapters on fundamentals of rocket engines incl thermodynamics are wonderful :)
I like baseball