Another (Crazy?) Idea for Engine Kits

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Dang911
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Another (Crazy?) Idea for Engine Kits

Post by Dang911 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:47 am

AHHH VERY NICE......

I see what you mean when you said welding the exhaust tube would be close to the intake. I don't think that it should be such a big problem for my mig, if im carefully enough, I may just place some aluminum foil over the area to prevent splatter.......

As far as your mounting system, its practically the same as what I do, I just use flexible spring steel.
Louder is ALWAYS Better!!!

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:45 am

Weekly Update????

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:25 am

may I ask, what's an air nibbler?
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

hinote

Re: re: Another (Crazy?) Idea for Engine Kits

Post by hinote » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:15 am

Ben wrote:A pnuematic tool for cutting sheet metal.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200305417.htm
I've got one of those. It's a great tool................

BUT.........

You've got to be able to handle the little sheet metal "crescents" it spits out in huge quantities. That means you need a dedicated area to do your cutting. Otherwise (if you're like me) you're probably NOT going to find every last one of them--and your wife will end up with it stuck into the bottom of her foot!

Also (on a more practical note) it's impractical for any precise cutting. The cutting pin is imbedded in the column, and you can't see the precise point it will make the cut on the metal (which is hidden inside the cutting slot). It's great for rough-cutting parts, though; it takes no force to drive throught the metal, and it moves very rapidly.

FWIW

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:16 am

Bill -

Mine is an Ingersoll-Rand, and is about as different from that as anything can be. It has a two-sided scissor action, and produces a curl of kerf metal that rises as you move it along (further obscuring the cut line on the sheet stock). However, I had no trouble getting an accurate cut line, but then, I cheated:

I use full-size part patterns cut from manilla folder stock. Nothing unconventional there. But, instead of marking around them with some kind of thin line, I used one of those old classic permanent markers with the chisel-shaped point, turned crosswise so that it made the cut line about 1/4 inch wide! So, what I had drawn on the steel was not a "cut line" at all, but rather THE WHOLE KERF WIDTH !!! This makes it super easy to see how you're doing, whether a curve goes to the right or left, because you can see either one edge of your 'kerf line' or the other no matter which way it veers off. You just try to keep that big fat kerf line centered in the jaws as you go.

I'll try to get a picture of the tool posted sometime in the near future. It's a very pretty little machine, I think.

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:31 am

Ben -

That's the very one! It works great, except when you have to go around really tight curves (of course, I have maybe ten minutes total experience with it). I imagine that's where the true nibbler really shines - working with tricky curves and corners. But, I like this tool really well.

Sorry that my terminology was sloppy, once again!

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Dang911 wrote:Weekly Update????
Well, this week so far it's been too blasted cold (as in sub-zero Fahrenheit) to do anything at all out in the garage, and there was a lot of "real life" stuff to do besides. I thought I might get to the starting tube Tuesday or last night, but no. I'll try to get something done on that tonight. Sooner or later, though, I'll have to weld the last piece onto the left engine mount, to align and hold the starting tube. It's supposed to warm up several degrees over the next few days, so that might be just what I need to wrap it up.

L Cottrill

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:34 pm

Funny how ignorant us Floridians can get. We don't consider that it IS cold right now in other places. Shame on me though, I lived in Pennsylvania for 13 years, so I know all about the cold.

Its 80 today..........boohahahaha

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:45 am

Dang -

Ha! You laugh now, but in the comfort of my basement workshop, hunched over my workbench just above the steaming cat litter, I just got the air / fuel tube assembly shaped, cut to size and assembled. Took an hour or so ... light work, but finicky. The trick now will be to get the mounting rings done and set up on the engine mounts at just the right height and proper alignment for welding.

Neither snow, nor sleet, nor gloom of night ...

L Cottrill

madmike

Post by madmike » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:15 pm

Dang911 wrote:.

Its 80 today..........boohahahaha
WE just got 12 inches of SNOW today. BTW , have you polished any rust/humidity off your tools and projects lately? HeeHeeHee your temp does indeed make me jealous though. Lucky you, I'd rather polish rust than scrape ice! have a warm day. mike
Bricolage "expert" level

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:45 pm

heh it's not too bad here (georgia) it's around 50 degrees, I pulled my small propane tanks inside to give them a boost... heh it's time to try and light the uglystick :)
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:23 pm

Humidity kills, literally.......... 95% humidity right now. 76, feels like 84, and you sweat like 120. I know windchill can get bad, but when you can't walk outside for more than 10 min, and you already need another shower, it can get rough....

Rust is inevitable, painting is a bitch, engines are hard to tune, and all hygroscopic chemicals are doomed. My air compressor needs drained constantly, and I have 2 water filters in line, which you can literally watch collect water.

larry cottrill

READY TO SHIP !!!

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:16 am

Dang -

About half an hour ago, I finished up the final welds on your kit, i.e. the mounting rings for the starting air/fuel tube assembly. The mounting rings are a little biggger and clunkier than I would have liked, sort of pulsejet science a la Fred Flintstone, but they should be good and rigid. I should be able to ship tomorrow via USPS Priority Mail. Look for a carton somewhat bigger than a shoe box. You should have it by Saturday, if I get it going early enough. Here is what you will be getting:

One - FWE III engine front end assembly (per earlier photos)
One - FWE III starting air / fuel tube assembly
One - small parts package, containing:
- One - NGK CM-6 spark plug
- One - tailpipe rear support strut (made from SS rod)
- One - Special Tool no. W00-D3N.S-T1-CK for final alignment of the fuel pipe
One - heck of a lot of shredded newspaper

The only instructions are what I have posted piecemeal in this thread, plus a little more that I will add here in the next day or two.

One word of caution when you unpack your kit: Don't re-bend anything! The starting air / fuel tube assembly will look just a little "off". This is because the fuel tube AND air pipe nozzle end can't be exactly parallel to the long main body of the pipe, because of how the intake slants down into the chamber slightly. Also, the long free end of the fuel pipe is intentionally turned up out of the way to allow the air pipe body to be welded into the mounting rings, hopefully without harming it. And, the rear tailpipe strut is somewhat delicate in that if it gets distorted at all, it won't guarantee alignment, as it is meant to do. You want to be sure that you slide this onto your tailpipe BEFORE you flare the second end, so you don't mess it up working it over a flare.

You will need to provide the tailpipe tube, mounting plank, aluminum heat shield, two no. 6 panhead sheet metal screws w/ washers, and four 3/16 or no. 10 bolts w/ washers and four tee-nuts to match (these will be hammered into the bottom of your plank), a little bit of steel welding rod and a generous helping of patience.

When you get your kit, the construction phase officially begins. At that point, I want this thread abandoned and I want YOU to start a new thread on the Valveless Forum, something like 'FWE III Kit Construction'. The content of this will be up to you, and I plan to only post IF you have some specific question - otherwise, I'll keep my nose out and we'll see how you do.

I'll post here the dimensions of how to lay out your mounting plank and heat shield within the next day or two. I've got it drawn up, but don't have any dimensions or notes painted on yet.

Good luck! I'll email you privately with the USPS Tracking Number on your package after I get it sent out.

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Mounting Plank and Heat Shield Dimensions

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:40 pm

I finished the drawing of the mounting plank and heat shield. These are things you could work on while waiting for your kit to arrive, if you wish.

To get good tailpipe alignment for your engine, the plank will need to be FLAT and the holes will need to be drilled accurately. The two holes at the rear end of the plank can just be little nail holes. They should be accurately located, however, especially in relation to the centerline. If they are too far apart, the rear of your tailpipe will be high; if too close together, too low. It would be better to use a hardwood plank rather than the cheap fir or pine ones. Try to use a drill press for the four main engine mount holes if you have one available. You will get better accuracy by drilling small pilot holes first, then follow with the full-size twist drill.

Good luck!

L Cottrill
Attachments
FWE_III_kit_mounting_details.gif
Mounting plank and heat shield dimension drawing. Drawing Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
FWE_III_kit_mounting_details.gif (11.17 KiB) Viewed 13625 times

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:47 pm

YEAY, ALL I WANTED FOR THE HOLIDAYS WAS A NEW PULSE JET.....

Really though, I can't wait to get it!!!!!!!!

I will take pictures every step of the way. I have no problem starting a new thread on this build, but I would feel more comfortable if you personally e-mail me with some guidelines of what you want, AND DON'T want. I don't want to post a picture, blueprint, or text that you wouldn't want.

On a second note......

I am sure I will have the plenty of questions, as I do now; Although after seeing it, it may answered all of them. If I do, I would rather personally e-mail you them, starting with my formal proposal of how I am going to build it, you have said a lot, but I want to make sure I am doing things the way YOU have intended them to be done........

Until then I have all of the needed finishing materials but the exhaust tube. If you would please tell me the specs of the tube again. You said it could be purchased at Lowes....

Thanks Again