violence today

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

violence today

Post by Tom » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:07 pm

just a quick rant here. has anyone else noticed a rise in violince these days? i was just in town and saw a group of teenagers (around 18 years old) beat the s**t out of a man of around 25. as far as we could tell, it was unprevoked assult, and the police were called. has anyone else seen any stuff like this, or noticed a trend?

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Rescyou

Violence

Post by Rescyou » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:42 pm

Mankind will only increase in violent tendencies until the point where it destroys itself or gains the foresight to step back and see through another persons eyes and recognize a person as a human being without being absolutely blinded by income, age, location, gender, race, religion, color...

S.
The mind of a man is the man himself.

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:41 am

each year at out school some extreamly stupid immature people decide to have a fight week, and get in as many fights as possible. it was kind of funny to see some guy think he was cool and tried to start a fight got punched and fell over crying!

Stephen

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:57 pm

I`ve never seen anything but i`m aware of its presence. Till the day it all settles, i advise you to carry any kind of stun gun; it gives an increased sense of security.

vhautaka

Post by vhautaka » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:36 pm

I'd like to carry a two-barrel ether-nitrous potato gun loaded with a paste of raw garlic and habanero chili.

Before anyone jokes about vampires, well, for them and werewolves I'd also like to have some fulminating silver snaps in there.

Seriously though, in school I got beaten pretty bad a couple of times and have no understanding to the teachers etc. who let this kind of thing happen. At last I learned to fight back ferociously enough, but I really don't think schools should encourage that kind of learning!

It just seems that the society has always tolerated violence to some extent and old ways die hard.

In the Finnish parliament there's a representative, Tony Halme, convicted for violence before. Last summer he tried to kill himself with pills and shot a hole in the wall with a 9mm illegal gun in his downtown apartment. Was hospitalized for weeks, and finally came to his senses and was convicted for gun-, drug- and doping-related crimes. 6 months with parole. He will probably not even lose his well-paying job. The origin of the gun was never established.

The guy is a living publicity stunt, a famous wrestler and a right-wing foulmouth. A real role-model. And in the evening papers, TV etc. almost daily. After his little "accident" with the Parabellum, amphetamine and a fistful of downers, he even found Christ.

Sick, I tell you. And still so many people seem to like him, nobody really seems to condemn him publicly... In this case I'm most bothered by that maniac waving a gun and nobody giving a rat's ass.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:32 am

I once grew a habanero pepper plant. It was about 2.5 feet tall and akin to a bonsai tree, broad and branchy like some Swiss Family Robinson tree, and the neat thing it had a ton of green peppers that ripened to a yellow-orange. They were all a little over an inch long and box-like. So one time I was chopping several oven dried ones to store in a jar, shaking the seeds out, and I discovered that the oil is strong enough to even burn your fingers if you work with a lot of them.
Well, you haven't lived until you have tried one. I had a half of a unripe green one roasted and spritzed with lime juice and a sprinkle of salt. After about a minute, I was laying on the carpet sideways waiting for some ice cream to arrive. Partly for satire, part seriously real pain. Oh and my lips and mouth were melting. Supposedly, one pepper is equal to 50 or so jalapeno peppers. Smithsonian Magazine, January 1992 had a spectacular article on them, showing some man reaching for his beer in a fine Mexican restaurant with a look on his face that said it all. The article was entitled "Care for a little hellish relish?"
Mark

Rescyou

Hotstuff

Post by Rescyou » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:04 am

My mother works at a horticultural research facility and they've been messing with peppers for a few years now and have come up with some pretty wicked peppers. They are some funky crossbreed of Scotch Bonnets and Tepin peppers with a dash of Habanero or something to that extent. I think their going for the world record of Capsaicin content. The smell of the things burns my damn eyes.. You know a pepper is hot when you have to handle it with rubber gloves..

Who needs napalm, just drop some relish...

S.
The mind of a man is the man himself.

vhautaka

Post by vhautaka » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:59 am

Habaneros.. hmmm... :)

I don't remember if this will ripen to yellow or red, but a definite habanero or "scotch bonnet". Roasting these with chicken, kebab meat, etc, the vapors from the pan make my eyes water.

Having _any_ amount of habanero residue on your hands while rubbing eyes, picking nose, relieving bladder... is asking for some hot pain.

They go down well with beer though :) vodka also gets a nice yellowish colour and some interesting properties if you soak a couple of these, cut in pieces, in a bottle for a week or more.

Poor plants... developed that stuff to keep mammals away from them. Then came humans and started breeding them for maximum fieryness. :)

haba1.jpg
haba1.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 13025 times
haba2.jpg
haba2.jpg (77.39 KiB) Viewed 13023 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:09 pm

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/exte ... aneros.jpg

I swear I am starting to sweat just thinking how hot they are in the pictures. I was reading one plant can produce up to 5 pounds of habaneros. That's more than I could eat in a lifetime. I eat them occasionally in a salsa my brother makes. Blessedly, it's not too hot to handle, still I don't know that I like something that hot anymore. One pepper can go a long way.
I must have gotten about 100 peppers off of my one plant, grown in Florida, I picked some when they were green too, and still have a large jar of dried concentrated capsaicin fireballs -- C18H27NO3.
Nice picture of your plant.
Mark

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:40 pm

Ville, great looking foliage. On your head, I mean. Some 35 years ago, I had similar length hair, but mine was completely straight, not a curl in sight. And I was growing completely different plants back then....

vhautaka

Post by vhautaka » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:40 am

Bruno, you mean those Hydro Lockweed and Reynst pot plants?

My hair was originally so long I had to tie it up while going number two (really)... then a couple of years back it somehow got bad and dreadlocked sort of naturally. Probably a side effect of the ancient medicine, or just my dislike of cosmetic products combined with my love of water.

Oh yeah, guess where this frame is from:

lockweed.jpg
lockweed.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 12988 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:13 am

Well, I don't know where that one came from, but just yesterday I received an e-mail message from someone by the name of Robert Lockwood.

I shook with anticipation, but it was an offer of pills that would make my prick grow by two and a half inches in four weeks. As I'm not using the prick all that much anymore, I thought it was not worth the trouble.

vhautaka

Post by vhautaka » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:04 pm

The frame's from the end of Tex Avery's Swing Shift Cinderella, a WWII-era cartoon.

Re: enlargement pills...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20030915/0927204.shtml

Serves 'em right, in a way, but then again... makes my violent fantasies concerning spammers all the more justified.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:16 pm

vhautaka wrote:Serves 'em right, in a way, but then again... makes my violent fantasies concerning spammers all the more justified.
Ha-ha-ha.... very funny. Yes, I have violent thoughts concerning spammers very often myself. As for the poor guys troubled by prick size, they get my sympathy.

I was helped in my self-assurance by the young lady who was the first to get closely acquaintained with my... er... tool. She sounded very convincing when she claimed to be impressed. From that moment on, I was very proud and secure in the feeling of being more than adequately equipped.

How silly one can be. I mean, by that time I had seen hundreds of various pricks live in various shower rooms and locker rooms and certainly had a representative sample for comparison, but no; her words carried far more weight than any physical evidence or common sense.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:37 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:
vhautaka wrote:Serves 'em right, in a way, but then again... makes my violent fantasies concerning spammers all the more justified.
Ha-ha-ha.... very funny. Yes, I have violent thoughts concerning spammers very often myself. As for the poor guys troubled by prick size, they get my sympathy.

I was helped in my self-assurance by the young lady who was the first to get closely acquaintained with my... er... tool. She sounded very convincing when she claimed to be impressed. From that moment on, I was very proud and secure in the feeling of being more than adequately equipped.

How silly one can be. I mean, by that time I had seen hundreds of various pricks live in various shower rooms and locker rooms and certainly had a representative sample for comparison, but no; her words carried far more weight than any physical evidence or common sense.
Yes but on the other hand Bruno how would you have felt if a close male friend had commented the same thing:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire