Moderator: Mike Everman

Carl Litzkow
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Carl Litzkow » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:41 am

As a "newbie" to your forum, Larry Cottrill sugested I introduce myself. I am a 65 year old retired (or retarded, been called both) Electrical Engineer having spent 18 Years with the Univ of FL and 15 years with the government as Resaerch Scientist III. My 8th patent is on display in Disney World and # 13 has been accepted at the Patent Office. I have a well equipped shop, mill, metal lathe,MIG, Oxy Acet, spot welder, sheet metal shear, brake,roller etc. The only reason I mention all this is perhaps you can see I may have a few talents to offer. During my career I have helped many students, now I find myself the student.
I have been monitoring Kenneth's webpage (THANK YOU Ken for all your time and effort) and have built a 60 in (152 cm) Lockwood powered go kart (can post pics). Larry has been extremely helpful so I offered to build his next generation "Lady Series" It seemed Larry has so many good ideas, but was a little short on fabrication facilities, so here I am.

Mike Everman

re: New member

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:03 am

Welcome Carl! Any friend of Larry's...

Posting photos is always good.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:42 am

Nice to finally hear from you.

If you ever want to make some prototype engines I have about 7,000 that I have been wanting to try out but just dont have time to get to...

Pics of the lockwood cart would be pretty cool

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:08 pm

Carl

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure Larry will come up with enough ideas to keep you off the streets at night. If not, it sounds as though Eric can fill the void.

I'll add another vote to those above: "Posting photos is always good."

Dave

John Werner

Post by John Werner » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:24 pm

Welcome Carl.

I was beginning to think that I was the only old duffer here at 73.

I enjoy reading the entrys every day but seldom do much building any more.

I too am retired, I used to contract with the Martin Rocket company here in Denver many years ago and also worked with Vern Estes when he worked for his mother who owned a fireworks mfg plant in Denver.

John Werner

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:04 pm

Hello Carl.

Welcome to the forum.

Jump right in whenever possible, and never feel intimidated to correct what you think might be a serious design flaw, or a potentially dangerous situation.

Glad to have you around. And you too John.

Paul Skinner. :)

(you both read like you have a lot in common with our resident machinist/teacher guru, Alan Belli)

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:23 pm

Carl -

Welcome - I'm glad you finally spoke up! I intend to enjoy working with you.

(Of course, the trouble with retired people is they don't have much spare time because everyone thinks they should finally get busy on the stuff they've been putting off for years ;-)

As to my being "extremely helpful", that might depend on whom you ask and on what it was they were trying to accomplish!

L Cottrill

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:39 pm

I'm thinking retirement is when the work really begins! I look forward to it, but at 45, it's a ways off.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:24 pm

Welcome Carl,
It's nice to have a few members east of the Mississippi. I was reading some research on the net and anyone who listens to fruit flies is OK in my book. Awhile back I posted some stuff on cicadas, I had one in my backyard that could really rev up loudly, especially standing right next to it.
Mark
Last edited by Mark on Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Presentation is Everything

Jonny69

Post by Jonny69 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Hi Carl welcome to these here forums! I've not been here very long myself, but everyone has made me feel welcome as I'm sure they will with you.

Retirement is something that might not happen for my generation here in England unfortunately. Anyway enough politics and back to the jets!

Jon

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:48 am

Mr Litzkow and Mr Werner..

Please Teach Me??

I'm 48 and new to some of this stuff...I have Idea's and thought's ...

Don't be afraid to bring up old, new and or lost Idea's on anything people

are on about!!!

These people know a lot more then I do about this stuff,, but that's how

you learn...

You have skill's....I have skill"s...They have skill's...

Together We can get someplace!!!!

That's why I'm here..

You will find that We the people fall into a rut some times and need a kick

in the pants!!!!!

See you in the Forum...

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Carl Litzkow

Post by Carl Litzkow » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:10 am

First let me thank all of you for such a warm welcome. The trouble is now I feel the pressure to produce. Hopefully I will be able to contribute @ some level.
MIKE- often wrong, never unsureI love it, only wish I had thought of that line.
ERIC- I have visited your wep page many times and have a pretty good feel for your direction. I wish you the best. I have a few ideas that may be of interest to the P J community, but since Larry is my mentor I would want to give him first right of refusal.
DAVE - Will definately post some pics ASAP. I have some video of the Lockwood but it is in analog from a non-digital VCR
JOHN Werner- I probably purchased as Estes rocket stuff as anyone and know the Denver area well. I should post a pic of my small thruster rocket from the old Titian II. I have all the manuals from Rocket Research Co. and NASA.
PAUL - I thought danger and foolishiness is what we are all here for, right ?
JOHN 69- some day I must tell you my girl friend in Lincolnshire.

Carl Litzkow

Post by Carl Litzkow » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:44 am

Mark,
Looks like you did do some research. I managed the Bioacoustics Lab for about 15 years which was funded by the USDA, but on the campus of Univ of FL. I recorded all kinds of fun little critters from fruit flies to bats ,to alligators, to wild turkeys and more. In Florida the fruit fly is a real problem for the citrus industry so funding was good. I was the only Engineer on site with about 40 or 50 Entomologist and Biologist. They didn't have a clue what I was doing , and I darn sure didn't know "bugs" so we all got along great. Sorry I can't tell you anything about circidas,except I think I had to eat one in Survival School.

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:58 pm

heh, I hope someday I'll be able to contribute (I wish I had a private tutor like you...) heh this is fun stuff! But only being in algebra 2 is quite an inhibitor for learning that sine wave acustical and thermodynacial laws of this stuff. I do love it though, heh especally the draw to bending fire to one's will.

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it as much as I have (or more)
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!