Forum Chinese Contest

Moderator: Mike Everman

hinote
Antipspambot question: 0

Forum Chinese Contest

Post by hinote » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:51 am

This will start a new thread, for those interested in participating in Mike E.'s "Chinese" valveless PJ contest.

I'll be making the first entry, as you'll see below.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

hinote

Re: Forum Chinese Contest

Post by hinote » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:02 am

hinote wrote: I'll be making the first entry, as you'll see below.
Here's my entry for the contest. Please see attached.

I'd like to introduce you to "Quadir". He's of Chinese descent, but is quite a modern individual.

Actually, "Quadir" stands for "quick and dirty"; one of my goals was to try and build a concept that would be easy to build from existing materials. In this case, the "combustion chamber" is a piece of 14 ga. 2-inch OD exhaust tubing; the back end is squeezed in a vise and then formed around a piece of 1" nominal plumbers' pipe. The front plate is a 3/8" x2" fender washer, pressed into a dish shape. The intake tube and the throat pipe are 1" nominal electrical conduit, and the tailpipe final section is a piece of 2.25" OD exhaust pipe. The megaphone is the only part that is custom built; I wish it were easier to do--the forming of a small meg like this is quite a job. I succeeded, but it's the part that keeps the rest of the engine from being "simple" to build.

Officially, the engine is designated M10E, to keep the organization of my engine development files in order.

It's ready to fire--but "life's getting in the way", again. I won't be able to attempt the first start until Sunday.

Stay tuned.

Bill H.

Attachments
Quadir 1st photo.JPG
(134.47 KiB) Downloaded 965 times

Mike Everman

re: Forum Chinese Contest

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:12 am

Ha ha! Darn it, Bill, now I have to make a contender before next Saturday!

So it's 32" long, not including the sparkplug, right?

I see problems with your lengthwise proportions, but that's what makes a horse race.

Most thrust out of a 32 incher on Saturday pays for the beer!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

hinote

Re: re: Forum Chinese Contest

Post by hinote » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:32 am

Mike Everman wrote:
So it's 32" long, not including the sparkplug, right?

I see problems with your lengthwise proportions, but that's what makes a horse race.

Most thrust out of a 32 incher on Saturday pays for the beer!
It's 30.65 inches.

The proportions are somewhat hidden, due to the inset of the intake and throat tubes. The CC is a little shorter than it looks, etc.

This will be a good trial for UFlow, as applied to this type of engine.

BTW I drink Coors Lite!

Bill H.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:50 am

I drink Bass, so I guess it's a 6-pack of Bass against your case of piss water. ha ha ha I crack me up.

The proportion I'm talking about isn't hidden, it's the mid-length of the straight tube behind the cc. To my way of thinking, it should be coincedent with the inlet, or at .333 L(ac) It'll be interesting to see what it does, and that, my friend is what it's all about.

So if Eric makes one, we should send ours out to him so he can run all three on his set-up, and so on. What do you think? Of course the last contestant may have to get a big box... hmm not sure that works. ha

edit: oh yeah, check out the video I posted in off-topic, the AS-1 kazoo preliminary resonation on methanol.

hinote

Post by hinote » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:22 am

Mike Everman wrote:I drink Bass, so I guess it's a 6-pack of Bass against your case of piss water. ha ha ha I crack me up.

The proportion I'm talking about isn't hidden, it's the mid-length of the straight tube behind the cc. To my way of thinking, it should be coincedent with the inlet, or at .333 L(ac) It'll be interesting to see what it does, and that, my friend is what it's all about.
I think it's a slightly different beasty, compared to the "standard" Chinese.

There's no frustrum, right behind the comb. chamber.

This reduces the performance compared to the classic layout. It also appears to skew the classic proportions.

You're right--this is going to be interesting. I'm not seriously expecting maximum possible performance; my goal was to build something a little different, and a little easier to build.

I succeeded in my goals--but it may cost me a six-pack!!

Good fun!

Bill H.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:54 am

Damn, If I were in California I could get free beer, how about that. :D

With this weather I would be much more inclined to drive to california backwards than run a bunch of engines outside. lol. I have grown unbelieveably intollerant to the cold, and the 4" of snow today didnt help. (Im just looking for a reason to move to Cali)

I really wish I could show off all the crap I have been doing the last 8 or so months :( Its so lonely being secretive.

Eric

"No officer, its not a bong... really... here let me show you" ... BWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Attachments
dualchinese8.jpg
dualchinese8.jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 13972 times

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:07 am

I wonder if I should pull an all-nighter this week and make mine!
Attachments
volume scaling project, try1.jpg
volume scaling project, try1.jpg (29.97 KiB) Viewed 13964 times
volume scaling project, root2 x diameters.jpg
volume scaling project, root2 x diameters.jpg (13.55 KiB) Viewed 13967 times

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:31 am

The original chinese proportions are good for making a good all around engine. If you start changing them you can get some really wild and very pronounced effects.

Usually the really exciting ones happen by accident.

I am all for experimenting but Bill WTF is with that tailpipe :P

I love the intake arangement and the cc though. It might not produce a lot of thrust in that setup, but with a bit bigger intake flare and a tweaked tailpipe that setup could be quite a contender.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:38 am

This is the one I really want to do. "Chi-Knee" TM Naw, ha ha just doing my "Larry". Needs some work.

What I like about this one is how the inlet and exhaust have equal access to the closed end, both get a flat reflection, which could be an advantage to annular designs.

It'll be a bit like Bill's in that it has the "cookie cutter" style inner end of the intake, only a little more so. That should reduce exit turbulence, and so increase exit velocity.

It's about $30 in stuff from Mcmaster.
Attachments
chi knee.jpg
(24.73 KiB) Downloaded 855 times

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:48 am

Eric wrote:
I am all for experimenting but Bill WTF is with that tailpipe :P

Eric
If you mean, on the lower, single intake rendering, it's just what it would look like if only diameters were bumped by root2. Just for play.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:45 pm

"No officer, its not a bong... really... here let me show you" ... BWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH[/quote]
Eric

Or in this potential scenario, "No officer, it only use to be a bong." I bought this hookah on eBay and removed all the colorful, glittery, kitschy tubing and wooden bowl from the stainless steel body. The pointy end is made to push into the Sahara sands, or any sand really, that's how it is made to stand upright. I like to think the pointy end is for streamlining, hookah jets might tend to fly higher.
Mark
Attachments
050113231335.jpg
050113231335.jpg (131.76 KiB) Viewed 13929 times
Last edited by Mark on Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:01 pm

Oversparkpluggiggafication. Don't let this happen to you. The top plug is threaded into the center using a 3/4 NPT tap. The other two spark plugs are held on with nuts, it was a little challenging to postion the nut until the plugs started using the center hole for access. To me, the shape looks a little like a human heart. The hookah is not quite 4 inches wide at the widest point and 7 inches tall without the plug.
By the way, what is the maximum length of this Chinese stirfry contest?
Mark
Attachments
050227040853.jpg
(314.54 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
050227035547.jpg
(321.92 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
Presentation is Everything

hinote

Post by hinote » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:22 pm

Eric wrote: I really wish I could show off all the crap I have been doing the last 8 or so months :( Its so lonely being secretive.
The depicted twin-intake doesn't break any new ground, IMO. Although you may have skewed the dimensions to throw the hounds off-scent.

See attached, for a real-life version.

Bill H.

Attachments
S100 engine closeup.JPG
S100 engine closeup.JPG (39.97 KiB) Viewed 13907 times

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:23 pm

Way to keep a tiny shred of this on topic, Mark. I think the length limit is going to be 32".