LOL!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Re: Greed on a grand scale

Post by Mark » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:47 am

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:16 pm

Thanks, Mark. Bought it Now!! Just made my AC version, it'll be nice to have this one too.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:05 pm

An interesting thing about ignitions is that each kind has a particular strong point and a weak point. Some tie you to the wall, others need batteries, piezos need nothing. Some are hot sparks, some not so hot, some engines don't care, others do. Some take longer to set up and some can run all day out of the wall if you want.
I am slowly accumulating every possible kind known to mankind. In the old, old days chemists use to fill flasks with newly formed hydrogen and chlorine blanketed to keep the light out. Then they would go outside and most likely remotely pull the hood off the flasks and they would detonate upon exposure to the sunlight. Wouldn't a hydrogen/chlorine pulsejet be fun? If you have ever toyed with hydrogen filled soap bubbles, they make a good bang when lit. Maybe even a hydrogen jam jar of sorts would be interesting.
I was toying with another kind of catalytic methanol cigarette lighter the other day, and it has a small side hole in the single cylindrical body, perhaps to allow a stream of air to be drawn in and up to the element which is open to the air and surrounded by a methanol impregnated sock. When I push the cap on quickly, before it lights, it knocks and wants to fire the cap off the lighter and a small jet of fire comes out the 8th inch hole. This particular design of lighter looks like a lipstick tube, black with a gold colored cap. I guess too when I pull the cap off the little side hole is exposed and breaks any suction and draws in air as the cap slids off, creating a vacuum and air flow.
Anyway platinum will ignite methanol or hydrogen and would be a good thing to use for a jam jar I think. As effortless as the hydrogen/chlorine bombs in ultraviolet.
When you care to send the very best, nothing says spontaneous combustion like a platinum hypergolic jam jar ignition system.
Mark

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:51 pm

[quote="Mark.
I am slowly accumulating every possible kind known to mankind. In the old, old days chemists use to fill flasks with newly formed hydrogen and chlorine blanketed to keep the light out. Then they would go outside and most likely remotely pull the hood off the flasks and they would detonate upon exposure to the sunlight. Wouldn't a hydrogen/chlorine pulsejet be fun? If you have ever toyed with hydrogen filled soap bubbles, they make a good bang when lit. Maybe even a hydrogen jam jar of sorts would be interesting.

It's interesting to imagine the little chlorine and hydrogen molecules bouncing around at the speed of sound just waiting for a minute amout of energy, (light), to set off a really big bang. Put your ear up to a pipe and you can hear all the tiny collisions.
Mark

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:53 pm

Oh, let's all play with Chlorine gas!!! Better make sure it burns. Every time. And what's the product of the burn, also nasty I'm thinking...

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:27 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Oh, let's all play with Chlorine gas!!! Better make sure it burns. Every time. And what's the product of the burn, also nasty I'm thinking...
That's what trench soldiers in the first world war said, "I love the smell of chlorine in the morning." I read in some book that chlorine really likes hydrogen, if you drop some drops of turpentine into a flask with chlorine, it bursts into flames, taking the hydrogen from the turpentine. I tried it and it works, the turpentine catches fire before hitting the bottom of the flask. A hydrogen/chlorine fuel would produce hydrogen chloride gas/ hydrochloric acid if you add water or breathe it, nothing more than stomach acid, well ok, maybe it would cause choking/coughing too, but isn't that part of the fun? Muriatic acid is used to clean concrete porches, just another benefit of hydrochloric acid, besides digestion.
Mark