Airbags

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

Airbags

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:33 am

I am sure (if he is still here) that AXT will have something to say about this. I was reading on the rogue science forums, and found a thread on obtaining sodium azide from airbag inflators. I know that in the US, this is a controlled substance, and posession is illegal, and that NaN3 is very toxic, but i want to see this for myself. I have found these airbag units on Ebay for under a pound, and i was wondering if i should try and see what i end up with. NaN3 can be used to create lead/silver Azide for detonators if i am not mistaken? ( although i wouldnt be surprised if i am :o) My chem teacher is very open minded, and he would be more then happy to help me out with this.

Tom

AXT, why were you banned anyway?
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Rescyou

Things that go BOOM in the night..

Post by Rescyou » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:30 am

I guess there maybe a few reason it may be illegal in your area. It's obviously somewhat explosive and very poisonous but can also be used to make methylamine which is a component of some funky illegal drugs. And yes it can be made into detonator type devices.

Air bag munitions are not generally made to be taken apart or fixed. It's like dissecting a land-mine I guess you would say.... I'm in the fire service and encounter these lovely things often at accident scenes, and when they go off it's not like a Jiffy Pop popcorn dish..

This is what some of the insides look like from a link within rougesci if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.hot51.com/rendersafe.htm

I would be very weary about shipping something like a used airbag detonator, courier companies are pretty picky these days. UPS won't even allow us to ship a breathing air cylinder with the valve removed so it's open to atmosphere....

I don't recommend messing with the stuff personally or myself or one of my colleagues may be scraping you off the ceiling of your workshop, I've been blown up a few times and though the feeling of flying is very interested the landing is always difficult..

S.
The mind of a man is the man himself.

cbromano

Post by cbromano » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:10 am

What the heck would you want to screw with that stuff for. There are better, maybe not cheaper, but plenty safer methods. May I recomend the anarchy cookbook for more cheap ideas though.

CB Romano

Dangerous thoughts are only dangerous in the minds of the stupid.
I don't wish to know everything.
I just wish not to be ignorant.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:50 pm

no offence, but no, you cant. The original book was written with many traps for the edumacated to fall into. Take Bananadine for instance. I am a triple science student, with a wealth of information at my fingertips, a very lenient teacher, and a great deal of respect for chemicals. I would much rather take my information from places like roguesci then a booby-trapped doccument that every K3VVL has a copy of.

:o) sorry about the rant, I just dont want anyone blowing thier head off by trying to create explosives without first obtaining a basic grasp of the chemistry behind what they are doing.

Tom

Axt

Post by Axt » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:33 pm

Sorry, never saw this but have nothing really to add, never touched the stuff!

As you may of seen by now, I was banned for insulting a certain admins overly inflated ego, even though I have been there longer then anyone as I did start the forum many years ago. Its not of great concern for me, the forums have become more about people giving hair-brained opinions on world affairs then the science of "energetic materials" now anyway. Its certainly a place of little values.

I think I remember Anthony(?) gave a method of extracting the azide though .... forget now, probably the one your talking about.

What name do you go by on roguesci? no obligation to answer.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:02 pm

weebl :) since my entire online presence is built on false names, does'nt really matter about giving another one out. still nothing of mine on there, i am scared to log in, let alone post :D

Tom