Forum M1E Latest Info

Moderator: Mike Everman

hinote
Antipspambot question: 0

Forum M1E Latest Info

Post by hinote » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:07 am

Hi all:

The latest version of the so-called "Forum M1E" engine is complete--and the first effort to bring her to life is successful!

In fact, this engine will become my "easiest to start", in the chronicles of Hinote's search for Pulsejet Truth.

She's a real monster at 3.02 meters centerline length.

I have great hopes for her. Having proved her ability to spring into life, I'll be taking her to my test site on Friday to do first tests on thrust and TSFC numbers.

There are those who have asked if I may be moving too fast, in my production of engines--and too slow in improving any one of them.

My answer is that I have learned so much about Valveless PJ design on my own, since the Burning Grape PJ meet--and each design has reflected the latest information I have been able to make use of.

Currently, this engine reflects my newfound confidence in intake design--believe me, this is probably the most important part of a valveless PJ!! It will also allow me to create "improvements" to my ongoing 4-tube engine design, which I hope will lead me to a really worthwhile configuration for personal aircraft power.

Stay tuned--it's getting exciting!!

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

hinote

Re: Forum M1E Latest Info

Post by hinote » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:13 am

hinote wrote: The latest version of the so-called "Forum M1E" engine is complete--and the first effort to bring her to life is successful!
BTW

I WON'T be revealing the final dimensions of the "Forum M1E" engine.

I won't expose myself to potential legal issues that might ensue. Also, there's a lot more to running an engine like this than just its proportions--things like fueling layouts, mounting issues, etc.

My goal has been to educate those who might have an interest in valveless pulsejets--and I'll continue to support that.

Bill H.

hinote

Re: Forum M1E Latest Info

Post by hinote » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:55 pm

hinote wrote: The latest version of the so-called "Forum M1E" engine is complete--and the first effort to bring her to life is successful!
OK--here's the beast, basking in the sun.

This now obviously owes its heritage to the Escopeta; the massive cylindrical final exhaust section assures reingestion of secondary air, and is one of the most obvious attributes of the Escopeta.

I've also incorporated a flat front plate to the combustion chamber--and a partially inset intake (protrudes about 13 mm behind the plate, into the CC). These are also trademarks of the Escopeta.

Again, test runs will be made tomorrow, and I'll report on the results.

Bill H.

Attachments
Forum M1E v1.2.JPG
(115.23 KiB) Downloaded 432 times

Mike Everman

re: Forum M1E Latest Info

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:01 pm

Zesty!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

hagent

Post by hagent » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:58 pm

Real nice Bill!

Hope you have great success. Can't wait to see the results.

Wonder if I'll be able to hear you from Simi Valley on Friday... I'll keep my ears open :)

Hagen
Hagen Tannberg

hinote

Re: re: Forum M1E Latest Info

Post by hinote » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:55 pm

hagent wrote:
Hope you have great success. Can't wait to see the results.

Wonder if I'll be able to hear you from Simi Valley on Friday... I'll keep my ears open :)
It makes a really amazing sound; the frequency should be around 85-86 Hz, and the amplitude is pretty mind-boggling, even for this somewhat experienced PJ operator.

Hagen--can you come out and play? It's a bit of a drive--but the weather's really nice, and I've got a nice project to run. Take a day off!!

You're welcome anytime, BTW; just let me know, so I can have the show polished up a bit.

Bill H.

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:33 pm

Where's the rest of the airframe?

Looks like it belongs inside a BD-5

http://alexnik1945.chat.ru/w18.jpg

(image changed from inline to link by Ben)

hinote

Post by hinote » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:56 pm

Paul Skinner wrote:Where's the rest of the airframe?
Looks like it belongs inside a BD-5
Hey Paul:

What do you know about this aircraft?

It looks like it still has the Swiss Micro engine in the tail (you can see the reverser clamshells hanging out)--but those side-mounted units are considerably bigger.

I've never been a huge BD-5 fan; it needed a lot of fixes, to make it a reasonable aircraft.

Did you know that Bede put at least 2 engine companies out of business, because of this aircraft?

Bill H.

hagent

Post by hagent » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:58 am

Hi Bill,

When, Where are you going to do the test?
Hagen Tannberg

hinote

Post by hinote » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:09 am

hagent wrote:Hi Bill,

When, Where are you going to do the test?
I'll be at the Avenal airstrip--it's one mile north of the Avenal Prison Complex, on Highway 33.

Leaving here at 9 A.M., I'll arrive at 11, and be there until about 1:00.

For you, it would mean tavelling up 101 to Paso Robles; then, it's a 1-hour trip to Avenal on Highway 46. Realistic trip time would be 4.5 hr.

If you're more comfortable getting over to I-5, just keep your foot on the loud pedal until you get to Kettleman City, then take 41/33 to get to Avenal. Probably the same trip time.

You could combine the trip with a wine country tour, or something--I can make many recommendations, because I was born and raised in the area.

Let me know.

Bill H.

hagent

Post by hagent » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:44 pm

Sorry Bill that I wasn't able to attend. A bit short notice for me.

Let us know how your PJ did!

Thanks,
Hagen Tannberg

serverlan

Post by serverlan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:31 am

Hi Bill,
note :

Just for your amusement,
one of my other hobbies is trying to learn to fly a gyrocopter.
I have a small 50 HP cyclone design machine waiting in the shed
until I can get my licence.
Naturally, one of my dreams is to power it with a pulsejet....
I figure I need about 60 lbf.

Initially it would need to be able to lift the pulsejet and its fuel as well.
Later I might try removing the Rotax and prop.

Don

hinote

Post by hinote » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:43 pm

serverlan wrote:Hi Bill,
note :
Just for your amusement,
one of my other hobbies is trying to learn to fly a gyrocopter.
Don:

I've always been fascinated by the gyro; it's so much simpler mechanically than a helicopter (which I consider a flying mechanical disaster!).

Putting an experienced airplane pilot into a gyro without proper training is asking for trouble, BTW. The classic response at or near stall is to push the nose forward, in an airplane; in a gyro, this unloads the blade disk and can cause loss of blade rotation, etc. There have been many accidents over the years because of this, some of them fatal.

As with any aircraft, proper training in type is essential.

Bill H.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:09 am

It's kind of funny (funny serious, I mean) reading about gyro accidents, when you consider the fact that the Germans investigated a simple passive propeller as an alternative to the parachute during World War II. Apparently, a single blade design proved the best. I'd like to see the results of that program.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:01 pm

hinote wrote:I've always been fascinated by the gyro; it's so much simpler mechanically than a helicopter (which I consider a flying mechanical disaster!).

Putting an experienced airplane pilot into a gyro without proper training is asking for trouble, BTW. The classic response at or near stall is to push the nose forward, in an airplane; in a gyro, this unloads the blade disk and can cause loss of blade rotation, etc. There have been many accidents over the years because of this, some of them fatal.

As with any aircraft, proper training in type is essential.
One of the most common problems is the PIO - "Pilot Induced Oscillation". Basically, the pilot notices a little oscillation as the rotor spins, and tries to correct for it, gradually making it worse and worse. The remedy is simple: Let go of the stick and let the thing smooth itself out.

Of course, if the original oscillation was caused by something like a bird strike, this probably won't work ;-)

I think the gyrocopter is wonderful in its simplicity and ease of operation. They used to be called 'autogyros' and were The Next Big Thing back in the late 1920s - everyone would soon have one in their garage. A famous commercially available one was the fabric covered Pitcairn Autgyro.

I remember seeing films of "The City of 1960" from the World's Fair in Chicago (1930 or thereabouts) - there were little autogyros flying around everywhere in between the skyscrapers. 1960 looked pretty good in that display - there were no tenements, no unemployment and no poverty. Just everyone going back and forth to work in their personal autogyro.

Someone should have mentioned (so it might as well be me) that the autorotation principle is what you use the "land" a helicopter when the engine quits. It works if you act quickly and have sufficient room (basically, altitude) to set it up. You sort of have to know what you're doing, and be cool under pressure, to get it right.

L Cottrill