Gas Fuel Lines

Moderator: Mike Everman

weston

Gas Fuel Lines

Post by weston » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:34 am

Im stuck..

Typical propane tanks have a regulator fitted that restricts the flow of propane (both as gas & liquid) I dont know how to bypass this since the fittings have a strange & lefthand thread. I also dont know what diametre fuel line to use for a 5.5" lockwood.

What sizes and methods have others used on simular engines? Is the gas tank thread a standard size, if so, what is it?

hinote
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Gas Fuel Lines

Post by hinote » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:33 pm

weston wrote:Im stuck..

Typical propane tanks have a regulator fitted that restricts the flow of propane (both as gas & liquid) I dont know how to bypass this since the fittings have a strange & lefthand thread. I also dont know what diametre fuel line to use for a 5.5" lockwood.

What sizes and methods have others used on simular engines? Is the gas tank thread a standard size, if so, what is it?
You should be able to get an adaptor at a propane supply that does away with the regulator altogether--I think it has a 3/8 flare at the other end.

I'm using 5/16 line for my supply. You can mix 5/16 (ID) high-pressure hose and 5/16 (OD) steel or copper tubing for flexibility. There's a lot of WOG valves available that can be placed in-line for control--hardware-store stuff.

You need to come up with a "jet" (orifice) size at the engine. My best guess for your L-H is 5/32" drill size, to start.

Good luck.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts, Inc.

cbromano

Post by cbromano » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:43 pm

i ran into the same problem. DIY stores didn't want to sell me a propane line w/o a regualtor and offered absoulutly no help on how to solve the problem. For mine i bought a 5 foot hose that is meant to adapt natural gas from the house to a propane grill. I also bought the type of propane fitting that goes into the tank like the ones they use to refill the tank instead of the crappy plastic ones that you normally find. To connect the hose to the tank i bought a simple 3/8-1/4 fitting from the plumbing department. The hose was strange because it had a quick connect link on the end that is closer to the tank, but it is not really an issue and is kinda convient.
I don't wish to know everything.
I just wish not to be ignorant.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:50 pm

Hey lucky you don't live in the UK! the state wet nurse decided it was too dangeros for us amatours to mess with gas so they made it ilegal to sell the freackin fittings to us unless we have a certificate.

You cant even buy a T peace or the bloody hose to go on it if you say its for gas.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

cbromano

Post by cbromano » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:30 am

I had to change DIY stores after i told them what i was going to use the lines for. But yes they absolutely refused to sell me anything gas related with out a regulator.
I don't wish to know everything.
I just wish not to be ignorant.

weston

Post by weston » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:42 am

Simular experiance here, met with dirty looks when I asked for an unregulated hose, supposedly its illegal to run a propane tank without a regulator, I wasnt about to tell them what it was for!

I happened upon a fitting in a camping store that can be modified and tapped to give me what im after, I also cut open a regulator to see its inner workings.

They have a diaphram that bends up restricting the flow so its possible to drill a hole through the nob on the regulator, tap it and screw a bolt down into it stopping the diaphram from lifting, this stops the regulator from working! the diaphram is sealed so not leakage problems.