Proposed: Simple Cyclical Flow Engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

Ray(GB)
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: Proposed: Simple Cyclical Flow Engine

Post by Ray(GB) » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:14 pm

Larry and Bruno,
Could hollow-rivets(pop-rivets) be used to join the sheets?.I presume it might need a sealant to make it gas-tight arohnd each rivet.
What do you think?.
Ray.

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Larry Cottrill wrote:It isn't all that easy to weld an interior steel partition between two parallel sheet faces. I could probably do it by drilling a zillion little holes [imagine a row of holes where you can see the edge of the sheet partition at the bottom of each hole] and sort of blending closely neighboring plug welds together. Right offhand, that's the only method I can think of that I could actually do.
Have you seen that posting in the forum about a homebuilt spot welder? That sounds like a useful tool. If you make the electrode holders long enough you could reach pretty deeply into such box-like structures. Of course, you'd have to bend a flange at the edge of the perpendicular sheet; you can't spot weld an edge to a flat surface.

I'd really like to see this thing tried.

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:47 pm

Ray(GB) wrote:Larry and Bruno,
Could hollow-rivets(pop-rivets) be used to join the sheets?.I presume it might need a sealant to make it gas-tight arohnd each rivet.
What do you think?.
If spot welding can work in a pulsejet, I don't see why riveting wouldn't work for this. It would have to be closely spaced riveting, though, to allow very little flexure or leakage between rivet points.

L Cottrill

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:07 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Why spin the metal in a turbine when you can spin the air?
Bruno, this is what I have been working on for ages. I do get a heat engine that produces flame out the back end, but little thrust. The problem is that your induction compressor stage adds too much heat to the intake stream, thereby knocking efficiency. But it does work.
I'm writing an automated airplane designer in java, useful later when you guys get ready to bolt a p-jet onto some wings