Mustang with ramjets mounted on wings ... Pic

Moderator: Mike Everman

WebPilot
Antipspambot question: 0

Mustang with ramjets mounted on wings ... Pic

Post by WebPilot » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:02 pm

I wish I had the audio for this - probably sounded like twin afterburners kicking in, but weird looking with a prop out front.

Later,

-fde

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Mustang with ramjets mounted on wings ... Pic

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:14 pm

They were playing around with all sorts of stuff back then. Must have been fun. Here's a Mustang with pulsejets (Solars, I think).

(I deleted the attachment after seeing that you have posted the same picture in the pulsejet section. Would have deleted the message, too, but I no longer seem to have the delete option. This website changes its skin on occasion, liek a snake.)

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:43 am

Bruno,

Yes, I'd like to have had that "delete" capability, myself, a couple of times already.

Notice you can see the 4 bladed prop clearly in this picture. It makes me think they turned off the IC engine during testing. Too bad they couldn't make the props fold back (like model rubber band powered airplanes) in order to reduce drag.

Later,

-fde (and thanks for your pics on my other posts)

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:49 am

WebPilot wrote:Notice you can see the 4 bladed prop clearly in this picture. It makes me think they turned off the IC engine during testing. Too bad they couldn't make the props fold back (like model rubber band powered airplanes) in order to reduce drag.
There's a nice line of folding props available for hang gliders with auxiliary engines. There's a group of foot-launched hang gliders (not the ubiquitous 'trikes') equipped with engines, which the pilots use to launch off flat ground, even in nil wind. Very nice for people not living in mountainous areas, or people far from airstrips that offer winch or tow launching.

Most of the people who fly such machines use the engine just to gain altitude and find thermals and other sources of lift. When they do, they shut off the engine and continue as with a conventional hang-glider. Low drag is essential here and a folding prop is so much better at this than a fixed or a windmilling prop. Those things work very well.
WebPilot wrote:and thanks for your pics on my other posts
You're welcome. The problem is that I failed to note the source. I have no idea anymore where I found those.

marksteamnz

re: Mustang with ramjets mounted on wings ... Pic

Post by marksteamnz » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:48 pm

http://www.enginehistory.org/f-80tj.htm

Good over view of early ram jet developement plus a picture of a F80 with ram jets
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:33 pm

MS,

I don't know if you got the above pic that I posted, while the link was active, but here's another chance.

Later,

-fde

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:10 pm

Cute logo, Forrest. I'm impressed.

Hank

Post by Hank » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:48 am

Hello- In the link provided to the F-80 test variant there is mention made of a fuel developed by Allison called Triethylaluminium. Never heard of this one before. Mention made of spontaneous combustion. Is this stuff hypergolic on oxidation from ambient air or does it require a catalyst?

Hank