Need fueling help

Moderator: Mike Everman

steve
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: Need fueling help

Post by steve » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:47 pm

El-Kablooey wrote:ok......like my sparkplug, steve? ;)
do you even need to ask? ;-)

El-Kablooey

re: Need fueling help

Post by El-Kablooey » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:41 pm

FINALLY!! Compressed air did do the trick! I started it on the first try in about 5 seconds with a big blast of 80 psi air. the first time it only sustained for about 10 seconds then died? since I have gotten it to sustain until I turned off the gas. I couldn't get a vid, no help today, only me, and I was too damn exited to pick up the camera. My neighbor, Don, whos house is about 200 feet away came outside in a sprint to see what was up. He said his windows were rattling and his TV went haywire! I didn't know It would interfere with TV's but I guess that makes sense with the high frequency pulsations. Thanks to all of you for your help!! now to build a vehicle of some sort.. hmmmmm... Heck, I think I'll mount it on my canoe and go to the lake this weekend.
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:06 pm

It's fun to burn ordinary fuels in a deafening way.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

hinote

Post by hinote » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:32 am

El-Kablooey wrote:FINALLY!! Compressed air did do the trick! I started it on the first try in about 5 seconds with a big blast of 80 psi air. the first time it only sustained for about 10 seconds then died? since I have gotten it to sustain until I turned off the gas.
Welcome to the club!!

pretty exciting stuff, isn't it?

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:38 am

Exiting isn't the word. I haven't felt this way since I was a kid. This engine totally surpassed all of my expectations, as a matter of fact all hell broke loose when I got it to full throttle. I'll get a good vid of it running wide open tomorrow. I'm hooked now, I think my next engine is gonna be a real monster. How big can a lockwood get, anyway?

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:58 am

hehe, I've got a 100lb propane tank.. haven't filled it in a few years, but it was only about $20 then.. paint it and put some wheels on it and I'd have a jet powered Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile.

Graham C. Williams

Post by Graham C. Williams » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:40 pm

Hi.
You don't need any forced air at all. If you get the injection system correct and use a 10mm dia. Rossco injector, it'll work.
I'm totally converted to these things. ‘Rossco’ deserves some sort of honourable praise for services to pulsejets.

Graham.

hinote

Post by hinote » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:58 am

Graham C. Williams wrote:Hi.
You don't need any forced air at all. If you get the injection system correct and use a 10mm dia. Rossco injector, it'll work.
I'm totally converted to these things. ‘Rossco’ deserves some sort of honourable praise for services to pulsejets.
Also, I demonstrated an "instant-on" start system on my "mini-Escopeta", at Burning Grape.

The concept is that a very small diameter tube induces nearly supersonic delivery of propane down the intake tube--and induces the necessary fresh air to flow along with it.

The result was, I was able to slam the start valve open and get ignition into the howling mode, every time. After that it was just a careful addition of additional propane to bring the engine up to full resonance.

I plan to implement this feature into my future designs; it eliminates the need for start air, and warms the engine up for operation at full power.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:33 am

El-Kablooey wrote:FINALLY!! Compressed air did do the trick! I started it on the first try in about 5 seconds with a big blast of 80 psi air. the first time it only sustained for about 10 seconds then died? since I have gotten it to sustain until I turned off the gas. I couldn't get a vid, no help today, only me, and I was too damn exited to pick up the camera. My neighbor, Don, whos house is about 200 feet away came outside in a sprint to see what was up. He said his windows were rattling and his TV went haywire! I didn't know It would interfere with TV's but I guess that makes sense with the high frequency pulsations. Thanks to all of you for your help!! now to build a vehicle of some sort.. hmmmmm... Heck, I think I'll mount it on my canoe and go to the lake this weekend.
If you are serious about the canoe, please get a video of it!!! that would probably be another first for the pulsejet community. I bet you could get up to some pretty impressive speeds with such a low drag hull, even with a relatively low powered engine, so yours should be more then adequate.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:04 pm

El-Kablooey wrote:Exiting isn't the word. I haven't felt this way since I was a kid. This engine totally surpassed all of my expectations, as a matter of fact all hell broke loose when I got it to full throttle. I'll get a good vid of it running wide open tomorrow. I'm hooked now, I think my next engine is gonna be a real monster. How big can a lockwood get, anyway?
Haw-haw-haw... I love the sound of it. I'm jumping with joy right with you, El-Kablooey! Those things are really habit forming. Good luck with the monster.

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:55 pm

I'll get vid for sure. I'm working on the mounts right now. I'm betting it'll move pretty good, I c n push the c noe with one fingertip even with rider in it, so it should go pretty good. I'll bet it gets lots of ttention on the l ke too, im gine c noe flying by your ski bo t jumping your w ke.

sorry, it seems the first letter of the lph bet h s screwed up on my keybo rd??

mk

Post by mk » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:41 pm

El-Kablooey wrote:[...]
sorry, it seems the first letter of the lph bet h s screwed up on my keybo rd??
Hehehe...funny. I was wondering why the hell somebody should substitute a letter by space...

Looking forward to read something about the pulse-jet powered canoe.
Good luck!
mk

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:26 pm

El-K -

My sincere congratulations on your first run!

There's really nothing quite like it, is there? It's like you've just changed the world, in some small way.

L Cottrill

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:53 am

El-Kablooey
Are you are serious about building a set of large Lockwoods?
Dave

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:16 am

Ye-h, d-ve I'm gonn- build -t l-est one.. I w-s gonn- reply to you, just h-ven't h-d time. How much for the elbows?? I w-sn't re-lly plnning on using st-inless, but who knows. It's just -lot hrder to work with, I only h-ve -n -rc welder for now too.. but I might be interested nonetheless.. (yes welding the lockwood up w-s lots of fun, I did become very good -t welding the thin sheet with it though. 7014's welding like m-dm-n does the trick.