Ram Turbine

Moderator: Mike Everman

Rossco
Antipspambot question: 0

Ram Turbine

Post by Rossco » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:03 am

Hey all.
I havnt been in here much lately, and it doesnt look like many of you have been either! Whats happening? Not running out of enthusiasm are we?

I thought that it would be a good idea to drop in my latest project.
Just out of interest i have slapped together a rough ram jet, and have been optimising it slowly.
Working on fueling and flame holders for steady combustion has been a great relief from thinking in pulsations!
Some BIG flame and two meter scorch marks in the front yard has been a new sorce of "amusement" for the neibours.

Where im going with this ram jet is shaft torque. Im over direct thrust, especialy minimal amounts, for the time being.

Can you imagine a ring gear set that auto governs power and momentum to output and/or input air ram feed? Well, thats about what im going for.

The more load on the output shaft, the more air is force feed to compensate. Of coarse this beast is compleatly ignoring the cost of fuel at the moment, but that is the sort of mood im in, going for shear fun and wow factor.

Ill keep you posted and some pics when engines get going reall fast round in circles.

Rossco

PS Will someone blow something up or make something crazy for interest sake. Its getting dull in here!
Eric, your always up for something bizzare! Whats hapenin to your project octapus?
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

Ray(GB)

re: Ram Turbine

Post by Ray(GB) » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:05 pm

Thanks for the report Rossco,
Sounds too complicated for me to understand let alone build.
I'd be glad of any info u have for the internal shape contours of a flight ramjet
for Mach 2 air intake.
Thanks,Ray.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:00 pm

supersonic ramjet:
Attachments
MA-20C.JPG
(66.98 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:33 am

No, changed my mind again. Im onto something else.
Yes, its complicated in way of fabrication, but principle is quite simple.

That didnt slow the process with it tho, my ram jet did. I suppose i was hoping for something more, and have paused to rethink the operation now i have a feel for the high air speed and new issues with constant burn engines.

Something has come of it though.
It did bring an old topic to mind that Larry and i discussed, at least two years ago now. I have recently been given some materials that suit perfectly by coincidence, and this has given me some enthusiasm and a good excuse to knock up a test engine.
Cyclic ejection type enginge. More burner than engine, although its the principle that needs testing, not flight, so im not worried what you call it.

Im aiming for a pure principle tester, with the hope that a larger, optimised model could efficiently turn a turbine with any fuel, solid, liquid or gaseous... but that is down the road. At the moment I just cant get the operation right in my head, which means that something is missing and it just wont work, or im under/over estemating a force or two?

Im going with a hybred Larry, of my original design, yours, and my new findings.
You given it any other thought since?
Could i possibly get a copy of your original design again please? There was a point or two of difference, and interest if i remember corectly. I wouldnt know where it was, or what computer i saved it on at the time.
Thanx.

Rossco

Rossco

re: Ram Turbine changed now into Ram ejector!

Post by Rossco » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:33 am

*Moved to seperate thread*

Ejector system made, and tested!
Very simple! Very effective!!

A small flow through the intake and out the ejector mouth creates a great volume of air to flow, at some small pressure around the clean air intake piping growing exponatialy with input velocity. Very little mixing of the "exhast" stream air, and clean air which is great.

Results for the first 20 mins of work into the project are very satisfying indeed!

Combustor now/next, to get the intake air expanding and hopefully ejecting at a point where it will drive its own operation.

Rossco

larry cottrill

Re: re: Ram Turbine

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:35 pm

Rossco wrote:Im going with a hybred Larry, of my original design, yours, and my new findings.
You given it any other thought since?
Could i possibly get a copy of your original design again please? There was a point or two of difference, and interest if i remember corectly. I wouldnt know where it was, or what computer i saved it on at the time.
Thanx.
Rossco -

This was originally brought up in the following post on the Valveless Pulsejet Forum in early April of last year:
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=490
The drawing is reproduced below.

What I can't remember is whether this is all you were going from or if you signed my Nondisclosure Agreement and I sent you the real Cyclodyne(TM) stuff - my NASA submittal with the "patent" drawings and descriptions. Of course, I can't look in my fireproof file right now since I'm at my day job, so for the immediate moment we're on the honor system: Did you sign a copy of the agreement and send it to me, and did I send you that info? If you did, I'll be happy to email it all to you once again. [I don't remember getting any mail from Australia ... but then, I don't remember a lot of things...] If you didn't do that but want to see it, all you have to do is have me email you the agreement, print it out and sign it and mail it back to me across the Pacific, and as soon as I receive it I'll send you the whole mess. It would cost you nothing but a little postage and a few days delay, and might keep us from suing each other later! I'd be glad to send it to you, either so you could work with me on it OR just to help you avoid stepping on my toes with your own development.

HOWEVER, EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE:
I won't throw this design out to everybody who's just idly curious - I will only reveal it to someone that I think might be really serious about trying to develop it [or bankroll me so I can try to develop it!] - so, in other words, I'm not going to send a copy of the agreement out to everybody in the known world who thinks he/she would like to see this design! If you want to have it, you have to convince me you're serious about wanting to do something with it and will work with me on it in some sort of serious manner. If someone wants to really develop it, I would expect signed contracts, etc. ad infinitum at least until we know it's either good enough to take us someplace or it isn't. Anybody who thinks this will be fun and easy and almost sure to change the world for the better should read my Rejection Letter from NASA a few more times:
http://www.cottrillcyclodyne.com/cyclod ... etter.html

L Cottrill
Attachments
Cyclical_Jet.gif
Crude cyclical engine proposed in April 2004 on Valveless Pulsejet Forum. Drawing Copyright 2004 Larry Cottrill
(8.58 KiB) Downloaded 315 times

Greg O'Bryant

Post by Greg O'Bryant » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:22 am

I saw in the link about blowing air into a spoon and I was wondering What would the preasure be in a can if it's open end were facing forward and it was traveling at about 600 FPS? And if there are any ideas about this type of jet engine compression previously thougtht of? Oh and would this type of compression work in supersonic speeds as well?