lockwood dimensions?

Moderator: Mike Everman

jongki13
Antipspambot question: 0

lockwood dimensions?

Post by jongki13 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:28 am

hello,
i am new to the forums, and i am wanting to build an engine, that would create a significant amount of thrust. My ultimate goal would to mount this engine on a golf cart(i live on a golf course bascically). My friends and i were thinking and they think a turbine would be too hard(which i agree to). so we came down to thinking what about a valveless pulse jet? except, i think with the space that we have in the golf cart, we could put (a) leaf blower(s). would this be an advantage/disadvantage and would anyone have any thoughts about this engine?

thanks for all of your help guys, and all the information on this forum has helped plan a lot of this project up.

thanks,
Jong-ki
Last edited by jongki13 on Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

larry cottrill

re: valveless/motorjet?

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:50 pm

Jong-ki -

It doesn't take much of an engine to push any kind of cart on a level, smooth track or parking lot. BUT - going up hills involves significant weight loading that has to be carried by thrust. Is that what you're talking about here - going up and down the grassy hills and slopes of a typical golf course? Naturally, the steeper the slope, the greater the load.

Do you have to limit your speed, so as not to do any damage to the turf you're rolling on? If the speed is limited, your fuel usage will be absolutely horrible, compared to getting the same power out of a small, geared-down piston engine.

L Cottrill

jongki13

Post by jongki13 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:53 pm

thanks for replying larry,

no, i do not intend on going in the golf course too much with my golf cart. and i do not intend to have too much of a load factor. i am just wanting to build the jet engine around a platform... i just am available to golf carts a lot easier than i would be to a go-kart. i would like to be able to push myself and a partner for this project though. i would of course take out the electric engine that's available at or around this golf course and use the space provided. my friends and i are beginning this project today... so ya.

also, there is no speed limit that i have to be regulated against, i actually want to go as fast as possible:)

thanks for the reply(ies)
jong-ki

jongki13

Post by jongki13 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:10 am

hi again,

well, my friends and i have decided to go with the conventional lockwood engine. i am using the engine below for references, but i believe it is not accurate because the Tl= 2500 mm and the Tm=92.3mm..... i don't get this because in the diagram it says Tm=162mm(and shouldn't the Tm be bigger than the Nm?)..... i'm confused. also, i am thinking of using a 3" diameter piping for the 180* bend.

i was also wondreing about a couple of things....

if the 180* bend is a uniform diameter all the way throughout, would this effect much? also, if i used a sphyrical shape with my CC, would this matter too much if the area is the same as in the diagram? also one last question, would it matter too much if the diameter of the intake(the Nl and Nm ones) is uniform?

thanks for the replies :o :D
Attachments
Drawing.jpg
(38.48 KiB) Downloaded 572 times

steve

re: lockwood dimensions?

Post by steve » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:49 pm

you might want to choose a diferent engine as that one probably won't even move a golf cart on asphalt, let alone grass.

you would probably be better off with a pair of these producing about 100 lbs of thrust:
Attachments
scaledlockwoodengineassy_618.pdf
(103.82 KiB) Downloaded 648 times

jongki13

Post by jongki13 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:50 pm

ok thanks.

i wasn't sure if the other engine would have that much thrust, but it's good that u caught me b4 i started making the engine. thanks a lot and i will meausre out the right dimensions to use for our application

jong-ki

ZSartell

Post by ZSartell » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:13 pm

That engine is more likley to produce 600lbs of thrust, not 100 for two...
You should try this one:
It will get you about 55lbs of thrust and is easily built.
Attachments
Lockwood_ dimensions.jpg
(143.96 KiB) Downloaded 570 times

jongki13

Post by jongki13 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:24 am

well, i took the other engine and used the dimensions of it to scale down by 30%. now the dimensions are similar to the one u showed me actually. the one i'm building is just a bit bigger. i have the combustion chamber , intake, and the end of the tailpipe. i have to get the 180* bend thou....

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:11 am

jongki13
If you are looking for 4" 180s I may know where you can find some, or at least a number of 4" stainless steel 90s to make them. Let me know if I can help.
Dave

steve

Re: re: lockwood dimensions?

Post by steve » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:29 pm

ZSartell wrote:That engine is more likley to produce 600lbs of thrust, not 100 for two...
You should try this one:
It will get you about 55lbs of thrust and is easily built.
whoops, that was the engine I ment to post!

you could still use the other bigger engine if you really want to go fast, but you will probably need two propane tanks to feed it.

kid jansen

Post by kid jansen » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:40 pm

I had a look at both designs, and have a question about them.
How is is possible to get 11 times more thrust out of an engine that is only twice as big? Even is you calculate the content of both engines it is still very much, because 2^3=8.

nitroburn

Post by nitroburn » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:28 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, But I thought we could not just scale pulse jets?

Please correct me if that is wrong as it would save me much planning also :)

francisco

Post by francisco » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:16 am

hello z sartell,
I need to buy the planes to him of his lockwood that uses to impel his go-kart. contacteme porfavor. reviews its mail.

jongki13:siusted is going to construct lockwood that fixed to pricipio (drawing) knows that it does not work with the product of 100mm of diameter, uses 75mm of diameter.

francisco cooreman
"I DONT`T SUFFER OF MADNESS, I ENJOY IT CONTINUALLY"

fran_rio88@hotmail.com