Fo Mi Chin Re-work [Version II]

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Fo Mi Chin Re-work [Version II]

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:36 pm

Here's how I plan to re-build the old Fo Mi Chin [which works at a highly inconvenient length of 47 inches]. With this new/improved geometry, I ought to be able to get him down to Dynajet size [22 inches overall length].

What you do is, when you cut the tailpipe, you leave a long strip protruding out the front to penetrate the chamber. This forms the bottom face of the intake duct [slightly convex toward the duct center]. The top of the duct is a split section of tailpipe material with a flared end. This is welded onto the front end of the tailpipe so that it extends forward past the end of the projection. Finally, an angled deflector plate is welded onto the front, mostly to save the design from being called "just another Thermojet". This plate deflects the intake flow downward into the bottom front of the chamber where it belongs.

The upper part of the pressure can dome has to be carved out to accommodate the built-up intake section. This will be a tricky area to weld up after the tailpipe is shoved into place, since the steel of the dome is pretty thin. The usual starting air / fuel tube is added on, of course. I should be able to bring this in right at the 16 ounce weight point, if the welding is carefully done.

Comments?

L Cottrill
Attachments
Fo_Mi_Chin_Ver_II.gif
The new, improved Fo Mi Chin II. Drawing Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
Fo_Mi_Chin_Ver_II.gif (8.54 KiB) Viewed 29176 times

steve

re: Fo Mi Chin Re-work [Version II]

Post by steve » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:09 pm

It looks good to me Larry, I'm confident that it will run.

BTW, what is the best way to invert/re-weld the can bottom? I tried to make a reynst like this and ended up burning too many holes in the can.

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:27 pm

I think it will be a close shave.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

larry cottrill

Re: re: Fo Mi Chin Re-work [Version II]

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:06 pm

steve wrote:It looks good to me Larry, I'm confident that it will run.

BTW, what is the best way to invert/re-weld the can bottom? I tried to make a reynst like this and ended up burning too many holes in the can.
Steve -

The only [practical] way I found to do it was to use the bottom of a second can. Punch and file out the bottom of the main can, leaving the rim untouched. Cut the bottom off the second can just above the rim. Get them centered together and tack weld in about 8 places, then weld all around, rim to rim, using just a little filler rod.

Note that the drawing shows TWO rims butted together at the front end. Now you know why ;-)

L Cottrill

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:13 pm

I like the concave intake pipe! Smart design detail.

Maybe cans stronger than shaving foam containers would be amenable to conversion for this purpose. Easier to weld.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:16 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:The only [practical] way I found to do it was to use the bottom of a second can.
But, why make the bottom concave? What's wrong with convex? Melenric used convex bottoms on his big thermojets on purpose. They were not built from cans, but purpose-built, so he could have chosen any shape, but chose convex.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:45 pm

any Idea why he did that? obviously it made something about the engine better, but what?

Larry, I feel like an idiot! It all makes sense to me now. now I just have to find two more cans.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:16 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:But, why make the bottom concave? What's wrong with convex? Melenric used convex bottoms on his big thermojets on purpose. They were not built from cans, but purpose-built, so he could have chosen any shape, but chose convex.
I just like them that way. At least it looks like something that might someday aspire to be a flight engine. For flight, you want a dome out front, not a bucket ...

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:22 pm

steve wrote:Larry, I feel like an idiot! It all makes sense to me now. now I just have to find two more cans.
Steve -

Note that all cans are not created equal. The reason I like the Foamy(TM) shaving cream cans, besides the fact that they are reasonably short, is that the top dome is rather tall and nicely formed, more like an egg on end than a sphere. Some pressure can tops are rather blunt, and some have pretty large 'flat' zones around the 1-inch ID rim. The Foamy cans are the nicest shaped at the dome, with the smoothest transition to the rim that I've seen.

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Fo Mi Chin Version II - Intake / Tailpipe Dimensions

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:10 pm

Last night I got the intake / tailpipe assembly cut and welded up. All I need to do to finish the subassembly is hammer down the front lip to form the deflector that turns the flow down into the chamber, and flare the tailpipe. The intake upper shell was split from a small piece I had that was already flared. Welding was not exactly difficult, but not exactly a beginner's project, either. It actually went better than I thought it might - once you get out on the front end where the tailpipe is notched to form the narrow 'spade', I could just melt the edges together with no added filler rod at all. The whole thing was tacked together first, of course. Pictures of parts tomorrow, welded-up assembly some time next week.

Here's a dimensioned detail drawing showing how to cut and form the intake / tailpipe assembly. I decided that it was better to just make the intake shell with an overhang and heat and hammer it down to form the end deflector rather than weld on a tiny piece of sheet metal. Otherwise, it's just the way I showed it on the earlier drawing.

The bottom corners of the intake flare have to be flattened down to meet the exhaust pipe tube where you weld them in. Nothing tricky about it. I found that the split half shell has to be pinched in the vice to have the right fit on the tailpipe tube. This is shown on the section in the drawing. Again, nothing difficult about getting it right. As always with this tubing, the welding flame has to be kept quite small and carefully manipulated to do a smooth job. It came out looking pretty nice, really, for only a couple hours of hacking and welding, total.

L Cottrill
Attachments
FMC_Ver_II_intake_plan.gif
Dimensioned detail drawing of the Fo Mi Chin II Intake / Tailpipe Assembly. Drawing Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
FMC_Ver_II_intake_plan.gif (12.13 KiB) Viewed 29057 times

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:55 pm

I had about an hour to work on it last night, which was enough time to get the tailpipe flare and to bend the nose of the intake shell down into a deflector, as shown on the drawing. The steel split at one end where it got bent down, so I had to patch it with a tiny weld, but I'm sure the end result is smooth enough to work well.

I will probably not save the original Fo Mi Chin as an artifact, but rather cut the original tailpipe assembly off and re-use the chamber. That will save me re-creating the front end dome and plug mount. And besides that, why should I keep a pulsejet around that has to be four feet long to run? Sheesh ...

So, all that's left is salvaging the chamber off the old engine, modifying it slightly to let the new intake shell get through the rear dome, then welding it together and adding the starting air tube assembly.

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Parts Is Parts

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:49 pm

Here are the pictures of cutting and fitting the intake shroud and cutting the notch in the front of the pipe. Welding, etc. next week, maybe.

L Cottrill
Attachments
FMCII_tailpipe_intake_lineup_crop1_small.jpg
How the intake shell gets lined up with the front end of the tailpipe. Weld will run all along the "spade" edge and continue past the flare. Photo Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
FMCII_tailpipe_intake_lineup_crop1_small.jpg (187.66 KiB) Viewed 28994 times
FMCII_tailpipe_notching_crop1_small.jpg
With the front of the tailpipe marked and measured, the large notched-out section can be cut. The front angle of the "spade" has already been crafted with a flat file. Photo Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
FMCII_tailpipe_notching_crop1_small.jpg (176.96 KiB) Viewed 28993 times
FMCII_intake_area_crop1_small.jpg
An attempt at showing the intake area. The split shell has to be pinched significantly to get the required space. With this done, marking the tailpipe for the front notch is easy. Photo Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
FMCII_intake_area_crop1_small.jpg (178.82 KiB) Viewed 28994 times
FMCII_intake_angle_cutoff_crop1_small.jpg
The final cut that frees the split intake shell from the tube - the cut is at 45 degrees to the tube centerline, approximately. Photo Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
FMCII_intake_angle_cutoff_crop1_small.jpg (171.14 KiB) Viewed 28993 times
FMCII_intake_completing_split_crop1_small.jpg
Unless you have a band saw available, finishing the long split will involve cutting at an angle from alternate sides. Photo Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
FMCII_intake_completing_split_crop1_small.jpg (182.84 KiB) Viewed 29002 times
FMCII_intake_starting_split_crop1_small.jpg
Start splitting the tube at one side of the flared end, right on the tubing seam, then bring the blade down on the opposite side. You can cut clear through like this for the first few inches. Photo Copyright 2005 Larry Cottrill
FMCII_intake_starting_split_crop1_small.jpg (177.43 KiB) Viewed 29001 times
Last edited by larry cottrill on Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:56 pm

Looks very cool. i've always wanted to try that simple crescent intake. i was thinking that it will be hard to hit a certain area if you are wanting something more knowable than TLAR. When welding, you could clamp it around a bundle of the right number of welding rods , maybe.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:20 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Looks very cool. i've always wanted to try that simple crescent intake. i was thinking that it will be hard to hit a certain area if you are wanting something more knowable than TLAR. When welding, you could clamp it around a bundle of the right number of welding rods , maybe.
Yes, it's hard to know when you've got it. I just kept pinching the shell more and more until I was sure I must have at least the area of the 1/2-inch EMT I had used for the original Fo Mi Chin intake, since that worked fine [but was about the smallest I think I could go]. Obviously, a non-circular section is less efficient at letting air through, also. But I think that's a really sexy form for the intake to have - sort of 'quasi-concentric', if you will.

The main positive feature is that it's very low profile - not protruding belligerantly as in the Chinese or original FWE, for example. I want to get the cross-section profile as clean as possible, to make it easy to enclose an engine inside a scale model fuselage.

L Cottrill

steve

Post by steve » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:15 pm

I've got a really good feeling about this one larry!