eBay war

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

skyfrog
Antipspambot question: 0

eBay war

Post by skyfrog » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:08 pm

For the past 10 days, I bidded for more than 5 items, and so sad none of them became my trophy. I lost all the item in last few minutes, what a drastical online marketplace with so many hidden agenda. Get ready for the next bid and arm yourself with money ! :-)

BTW, most items are jet engine related.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

paul skinner

re: eBay war

Post by paul skinner » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:46 pm

Try this Horace,

http://www.auctionsniper.com/

I'm 4 years in, 250 plus (100%) auctions to the wiser, and I never lose if I want it bad enough and don't want to get into a bidding war. This way, you never have to bid, it's all done at the last second.

Enjoy.

pezman

Post by pezman » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:47 pm

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:33 pm

Its also important to be nice and bid fair prices :) I almost entirely paid for a semesters worth of books by selling jet engines, and the only consulation I get for selling my prized creations is knowing that I wont be in such a giant bottomless pit later on.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

paul skinner

Re: re: eBay war

Post by paul skinner » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:09 pm

Eric wrote:Its also important to be nice and bid fair prices :) I almost entirely paid for a semesters worth of books by selling jet engines, and the only consulation I get for selling my prized creations is knowing that I wont be in such a giant bottomless pit later on.

Eric
I wonder who this is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:49 pm

Who needs a sniping service? What happens if somebody bids some exorbitant amount and you wind up winning your object, but it costs four times what you were prepared to pay? I will login about two minutes before the auction ends and then refresh the page every 20 seconds or so, watching for activity. When the auction is down to the last 30 or 40 seconds, I will bid the max I am willing to pay for the item. I then keep refreshing till the auction closes, just in case somebody slips in a higher bid. Having a DSL connection really helps because it only takes about 4 seconds to place a bid. I've won lots of stuff using dial-up access too, but its best to place your bid about 60 seconds before auction end because the page can take almost that long to refresh at 28 Kbps.
Trig IS fun.

Al Belli

re: Bidding

Post by Al Belli » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:28 pm

Hi Mike,

Your proxy limit is the maximum amount that You want to bid for the item. eBay will increase Your bid as required, until Your maximum is reached, no matter what the bidding goes to. If someone bids above Your proxy limit, He/She will be the high bidder, and will win the item.
I have successfully used proxy bidding and find that there is no risk other than losing to a higher bidder ( above Your proxy amount ).

Al Belli

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:56 pm

I usually just make sure my clock is acurate within a few seconds and submit my confirmation bid about 15 seconds before closing if I really want it. If I really want it I will bid way over too! I've only lost a few bids, but that's because I didn't want to pay more. I thought I was bad, but Paul has got me beat with the amount of buys, I think I've bought around 100 items, seems hard to believe I "needed" so much stuff!
Mark
Presentation is Everything

skyfrog

Re: re: Bidding

Post by skyfrog » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:09 am

Al Belli wrote:Hi Mike,

Your proxy limit is the maximum amount that You want to bid for the item. eBay will increase Your bid as required, until Your maximum is reached, no matter what the bidding goes to. If someone bids above Your proxy limit, He/She will be the high bidder, and will win the item.
I have successfully used proxy bidding and find that there is no risk other than losing to a higher bidder ( above Your proxy amount ).

Al Belli
I used proxy limit too, as most item's were sold by american, so the ending time is usually their day time my bed time, which is not so convenient to place a killer bid in the last minute.

While losing the battle I can still find some amusement in it. For example I bought a Cummins VT50 compressor last year at US$35 it was like piece of cake, as no one was interested in this item. But last week another auction for VT50 compressor appeared, I thought it would be nice and easy again, but this time MANY bidders were competing, so the "fair" price which is the proxy limit I placed couldn't win the auction again. Maybe they are building similar sized engines as well ? and probably x-150 ? kinda surprise indeed :-) I had better warned them this compressor can build an engine of thrust up to 70lbs at best.

Cheers,
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:33 am

Paul Skinner wrote:Try this Horace,

http://www.auctionsniper.com/

I'm 4 years in, 250 plus (100%) auctions to the wiser, and I never lose if I want it bad enough and don't want to get into a bidding war. This way, you never have to bid, it's all done at the last second.

Enjoy.
pezman wrote: Or try www.phantombidder.com ...
Thanks guys. I don't quite understand auctionsniper or phantombidder, if this means to win the auction I must pay at any cost, then the item must be of fatal attraction to me, but till now such item hasn't appeared yet :)
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:01 am

Ben wrote:The idea is that if you put in your highest bid when the auction still has a day left, one of the other bidders may decide to up his highest bids. Those sites put in a bid for you, the same highest bid you would put in, but at the very last moment. That way, people don't have time to come back and decide they're willing to pay more.

At most you pay the same cost as if you had bid on it normally, not any cost. You can still lose auctions doing that, but the bid is a lot less likely to get overinflated.
Thanks, if all bidders use these tools to place bid, there is no chance the price gets overinflated, sounds perfect for me.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:54 am

Another beaten week. Lose the item by one dollar in final 50 seconds. @#$^@#^@^

Sorry for the language.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:21 am

Ben wrote:You don't know how high they bid. You may have lost it by a lot more than one dollar.

Bid the maximum you're willing to pay, and just leave it alone. If you never win the auctions, then your maximum isn't high enough. Supply and demand.
Yeah, how high that guy bid I don't know, but the market says one dollar more and the itme is sold, which means I have acquired 99% correct evaluation of that item. If he want it badly his maximum bid would have been a lot more than mine. I only bid at "normal" price based on history price of similar items sold on eBay. It doesn't matter, many similar items will continue to emerge, I still have many chances to get one.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:50 pm

Ben wrote:That's what I'm saying, his maximum bid could have been a lot more than yours. It could have been twice yours. It's the nature of proxy bidding; the high bidder's bid is only bid high enough to beat everyone else's, and no higher.
Thanks. my bidding technique was improved, last week I won 4 auctions one of which was a fan blade from the turbine engine (Rolls-Royce Pegasus I believe) of Harrier jump jet ! hehe, greatest ornament I can get.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle