No-weld pipe fitting valveless

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

re: No-weld pipe fitting valveless

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:18 am

It would be just the bike to have on an excursion around the outskirts of Nome, Alaska. You could stay warm. Little details to be ironed out, but not insurmountable. People who have ridden a motorcycle and have accidently burned a round spot on their leg from the hot muffler might have a greater respect for the pulsejet frame bicycle. The impression would be similar.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

JT556
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by JT556 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:01 pm

Mike,
OK, I've rounded up my fittings and are ready to start putting it together. Once again time for a few questions:

1.) The fuel tube - simply file a taper on the end of the 3/16 brake line to the inside diameter? Any bending or drilling required on the end?

2.) Fuel tube location - like your pic of the "Lockwood" jet?

3.) The silicone hose for the fuel - where would a person find that? Is it required?

My 14 year old son is excited about building a jet engine in the garage - my wife thinks we're building pipe bombs!

Once again, thanks for the great info!

Jeff

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:11 pm

Cool, Jeff.
No silicone isn't required as long as you can get propane to the 3/16" brake line you'll use to feed it.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the right spot yet for a simple injector. I've tried a couple of locations without the wonderful success of the stinger, pictured below, which I positioned manually and it kind of hooked itself in keeping it from blowing out.

I'll figure it out soon if you don't. As to starting:

I'm using a stove ignition and a CM-6 sparkplug; it clicks at about 4 Hz. What's working well is to shoot an air stream right down the middle at a low rate, with the propane on low. Moving the tip closer or farther on the centerline, you should find a spot where it growls quietly. Play with keeping the growl, let it do that a few seconds, then slowly add fuel, and increase air, but only if you're varying the fuel slowly so the growl gets louder. The growl increases to the point that it gets gravelly, then loud, then you can add more of everything, moving the air straight away such that the power doesn't lessen. If it lessens, stop moving away, keep the air constant and decrease fuel a very tiny bit. At some point, you will have pulled the air away far enough for it not to make a difference and it sustains. You can increase the fuel till it gets rough, which will put it on the edge of killing. Dial it down till it gets rough in that direction, and you'll have the limits for your valve hand.

It's nice to have an air gun with a 1/4" (6mm) diameter tip and smooth action trigger.

I've noticed that you've got to get a light touch on the propane. It should be easy to turn, without any sticking. It's like when you're first flying RC, you move the sticks stop-to-stop for wild upredictability, and eventually you can control with minimal movements.
Attachments
fuel stinger.JPG
(176.91 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:31 am

YAY. A more defined fuel stinger photo attached, made of 3/32" copper tube from the hobby store, video and red hot photos. I'll try the expander tail tomorrow, and continue to home in on the best stinger configuration. Then it's on to gasolene! I'll include a file with .mpg videos for those that can't view the .wmv's
Attachments
ugly stick mpgs.zip
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 830 times
Pipewood.wmv
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 6358 times
MVC-756F.JPG
MVC-756F.JPG (71.9 KiB) Viewed 16966 times
MVC-755F.JPG
MVC-755F.JPG (88.64 KiB) Viewed 16821 times
MVC-757F.JPG
MVC-757F.JPG (42.74 KiB) Viewed 16820 times

resosys

Post by resosys » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:23 am

Mike,

So damn happy to see it run so well. Good work!

Chris

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:25 am

I am totally amazed by the 'ugly stick'.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:06 pm

that just made my day!
no doubt it will be much appreciated by many welder-less people in the years to come.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:18 pm

LOL
I don't know why, but this thing makes me laugh! I highly recommend the experience. Tip of the hat to Mark for the "Pipewood" name. I keep staring at the glowing photo, that iron really has the prettiest orange glow in real life, like candy.

Note to Mark and Jeff: prepare yourself for some really astounding, earthshaking bangs as you try to start it. Jeff, you should get hardshell ear protection for you and your son, and disposable plugs for anyone within about 30 feet!

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:14 pm

Not bad Mikey. Will you be doing a 1 inch model? That stuff is pretty cheap and you could be contributiong to the deliquency of kids all over the world. Could be the next scourge after the potato gun.
Wouldn't it be funny to sell a box of various parts like Tinker Toys, with all the different models/plans you could build on the outside of the box?
Your Pipewood Lockwood and Schubert Stick are wonderful new members to the KISS pulsejet catagory.
Now if I can just get mine to run.
Mark

Mark

Re: re: No-weld pipe fitting valveless

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:42 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:I am totally amazed by the 'ugly stick'.
I don't know, it looks kind of tricky screwing all those parts together. ; )
Mark

ZSartell

Post by ZSartell » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:48 pm

I love it. Maybe someday your local hardware store will be able to give tips on building your pipewood, just like giving tips on plumbing.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:27 am

Mike, do you think you are getting some benefit by using a long injection tube preheated by the snorkel over the attempted direct injection via the bell technique?
Mark

Mike Everman

Re: re: No-weld pipe fitting valveless

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:51 am

Mark wrote:Mike, do you think you are getting some benefit by using a long injection tube preheated by the snorkel over the attempted direct injection via the bell technique?
Mark
Nope, pretty sure not. The copper fuel stinger is totally cool to the touch when I shut down and remove it.

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:56 am

What's your estimation of the total cost?

Cause yeah, looking at it, it might be VERY interesting to build one!

(I just gotta find the LPG bottle and leaf blower, but that's an other thing).
Anthony

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:00 am

I didn't add it up. the reducers were from early jamjar experiments. I'll go to home despot and price it out one day soon.
The expander tail didn't sustain, and made ginormous, hugantic cannon bangs. I think the 1.5" pipe part at the end is too long. I'll shorten it tomorrow and try again.