Bruce's new project

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

resosys
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: Bruces new project

Post by resosys » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:34 pm

skyfrog wrote:I have seen the video clip from his website demonstrating a big 150lbs lockwood gets started by just turn on the fuel. New comers should avoid seeing this to prevent them from getting the wrong image that all lockwoods will get started this easy :-)
I agree. I talked to Bruce about that when he announced it and he said it was a windy day and the wind is probably what made it work so well.

My small engines are tough to start and tend to not like too much throttle range.

Now for MY OPINION:

Bruce is a con artist, folks. It's plain and simple. He may have enough brains to backyard engineer a working pulsejet, but he's no rocket scientist and he isn't making any leaps and bounds in pulsejet technology. X-Jet == vaporware.

He has, however, mastered the art of theft via paypal coupled to sob stories about feeding his kids and being raped by the NZ tax man. All that while he spends innocent folks money, flies to Britain to film TV shows, and on and on and on.

Bruce is a bad bad man.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:56 pm

resosys wrote:Bruce is a con artist, folks. It's plain and simple. He may have enough brains to backyard engineer a working pulsejet, but he's no rocket scientist and he isn't making any leaps and bounds in pulsejet technology. X-Jet == vaporware.
I have to disagree to some extent. Bruce may have turned into a con artist. But, he goes way back.

He was (and may still be) a publisher of a very interesting Internet website on science and technology news. A long time ago -- when the Internet was still big news -- he sold it for a nice amount of money and retired. This is not a mark of your usual con man.

Look at the dozens and dozens of details of his big website – there’s far too much well-considered detail for someone who is a con artist. Compare it to people like Windspire. Do they really resemble each other?

As I keep telling people, his first X-jet, the valve-equipped version, is the most ingenious original pulsejet I have seen. (By original, I mean something devised from scratch, rather than found in a research paper from the 1950s.)

I have followed its conception, development, building and testing and I know very well it was not a fraud. It was an honest-to-God pulsejet that rocked! No con man would have done that piece of design.

Bruce joined the Junkyard Wars team (a very hard-nosed bunch) not by approaching them and selling himself to them, but on my say-so. I was asked by the company producing the show to give suggestions and I told them (among other things) that Bruce was the man to have if they were to use pulsejets in the show. They probably had more opinions than just mine – stands to reason -- but mine was certainly in the game. They must have checked him well before entering a contract. They have very good lawyers.

Anyway, they thought about it and hired him, and they sure got their money’s worth from him. Bruce engineered the thing for them – not reverse-engineered, but designed -- a _big_ sonofabitch of a Lockwood, built and tested it and used it on the show to score a victory for his team. Would a con artist do that?

No, Bruce is pulsejet-mad like the rest of us. He’s much more talented and inventive than most, too. He is also amazingly persistent.

As a businessman, he’s a walking nightmare. I won’t judge his morals here – you and most other people have already made a judgment on that anyway. There’s not much to say. I am certainly not defending that part of his personality. So, maybe he is a con man now.

But, saying that that’s all there is to it is not right. It is just not true. I fail to see why his pulsejets work has to be artificially diminished or dismissed as irrelevant.

Mark

re: Bruces new project

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:05 am

His work isn't diminished, his character is. But then, if your character is in question, not a lot of people roll out the welcome wagon. It's just hard to understand someone if they don't care about how they treat people. Will they be honest or tell the truth? Can they be trusted? Of course you can find his work interesting, you can go on and on how fascinating it is, but you never spent a penny on any of his stuff he would have promised to send you. Maybe then you wouldn't be sitting on the fence. He doesn't care, it's as simple as that. If he did he wouldn't take money from people illegally. He's in la la land.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:07 am

Mark wrote:His work isn't diminished, his character is. But then, if your character is in question, not a lot of people roll out the welcome wagon. It's just hard to understand someone if they don't care about how they treat people. Will they be honest or tell the truth? Can they be trusted? Of course you can find his work interesting, you can go on and on how fascinating it is, but you never spent a penny on any of his stuff he would have promised to send you. Maybe then you wouldn't be sitting on the fence. He doesn't care, it's as simple as that. If he did he wouldn't take money from people illegally. He's in la la land.
Mark
Mark, I agree completely with what you have written, but our 'Resosys' was precisely making a point that Bruce's pulsejet work is bunk. Read the posting immediately above mine. I was responding to that.

resosys

Post by resosys » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:23 am

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Mark, I agree completely with what you have written, but our 'Resosys' was precisely making a point that Bruce's pulsejet work is bunk. Read the posting immediately above mine. I was responding to that.
Ok, I may have been a bit harsh on old Bruce in my post, but his recent activity is pure con in my eye.

The only information I've seen on the X-Jet is speculations. I've looked over his site many times and don't remember seeing any hard data. If you've seen different Bruno, then I stand corrected and don't wish to tarnish Bruce's engineering ability.

I just see a lot of folks being screwed by an asshole. That's all.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:46 am

resosys wrote:don't wish to tarnish Bruce's engineering ability.
Alas, he is doing all the harm himself.

I guess the real reason I'm touchy on the subject is the fact that I used to be closer to Bruce than to almost anyone else in the pulsejet community. We communicated pretty intensely, shared a lot etc. I had better insight into what he was doing than anyone else, I think. I was privy to his process of thinking up new things, testing them, drawing conclusions and improving them. I KNOW he was not a fraud.

At some point, however, something happened. He clammed up, ceased to share very much information and we gradually drifted apart. No conflict; we just corresponded at ever greater intervals until we more or less stopped.

Bruce's downfall as the pulsejet businessman roughly coincided with the decline of our communication, so that I had little or no insight into what was going on. I have little information on his valvelsss X-jet because we were no longer sharing our stuff at that point.

While I was close to Bruce, he was a clear-thinking, no-bullshit, inventive developer of pulsejets without peer. I guess I still find the subsequent deterioration difficult to accept. I just can't square it with the Bruce I used to know and respect.

me933

Post by me933 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:00 pm

on another note whatever happened to his DIY cruise missile??? or was that bulk to? all ive seen is one photo of it but no information about if it ever flew or if the guidance system ever worked.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:28 pm

I think Bruce could redeem himself, there's hope for anyone I guess, but he's such a ham, first the cruise missile and now the car. Didn't the Germans do both about 60 years ago? Wasn't a pulsejet slapped on a car to demonstrate the potential for the missile?
Then there was the X-Jet, so X in fact that it was a Pandora's Box, squashed by governments near and far. It would have unleashed untold terror if it were to fall into the wrong hands. And we had Bruce on the one hand warning us of the danger, and on the other offering to sell it to third world countries. But what would they need it for, you might just as well have a suicide bomber drive your package, (biological or otherwise), into town, it's less dramatic I know but gets the job done just the same. Or the terrorist could just park the car and take a taxi.
I think terrorists don't want to be too successful, because then the offended nation, such as the U.S., will go after an entire country or countries for supporting them, a push comes to shove philosophy. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of terrists hoping to nuke NYC, but if some entitity did, a lot of 3rd world countries would be walking on egg shells to put it mildly. This would be collective retribution, sad but it gets a lot of attention too.
Mark

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:53 pm

Mark wrote:I think Bruce could redeem himself, there's hope for anyone I guess, but he's such a ham, first the cruise missile and now the car. Didn't the Germans do both about 60 years ago?
Indeed, yes. I've even seen a picture somewhere. There was also one on a very massive rail car, which was used to measure thrust. The rationale was that the big mass would damp pulsation.

On the other hand, the idea of establishing a pulsejet-powered land speed record is not at all stupid. A very nice stunt to promote pulsejet power. I wish I'd thought about it myself.

Mike, Bill -- how about giving the man a run for his money? Someone should check with NHRA (or whoever) whether a yardstick has ever been established with an Argus (or more probably Ford) powered car. That would be an obvious reference point.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:22 pm

Well if you have solid numbers and a decent vehicle, you can extrapolate what speed you would travel. Of course drag and the persnickety behavior of some pulsejets at various speeds might be wild cards. Imagine blowing a tire at 200 MPH or developing some vibration, other than the whole body experience from the engines, imagine the safety factor vs. your life.
It would be fun to borrow a roller coaster, modified of course, put your own pulsejet vehicle on it for a day and zip around with wheels locked to the track. How fun to be in a dive at the start of the hill with engines blarring. Pulsejet rollercoasting, hmmm...
Mark
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... 55&s=books

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:38 pm

Mark wrote:Imagine blowing a tire at 200 MPH or developing some vibration, other than the whole body experience from the engines, imagine the safety factor vs. your life.
Sure. Speed kills. However, you are very unlikely to reach speeds that the salt lake racing fraternity is not used to. If I did it, I would certainly seek advice and guidance from a Bonneville or Muroc veteran. They'd probably be glad to see something new on the flats.

JetSet

Post by JetSet » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:22 pm

Just to piss on his parade - whos up for attempting the NZ land speed record before he does? :-P

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:14 am

if your willing to fund it i would :lol:
there was even a 10,000-12,000HP turbine on trade me (NZ's ebay) for $6,000... if only i had that money!!

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:22 am

JetSet wrote:Just to piss on his parade - whos up for attempting the NZ land speed record before he does? :-P
Where the hell would you run a speed record car in NZ? For that you need miles and miles of flat land.

JetSet

Post by JetSet » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:51 am

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
JetSet wrote:Just to piss on his parade - whos up for attempting the NZ land speed record before he does? :-P
Where the hell would you run a speed record car in NZ? For that you need miles and miles of flat land.
:lol: There must be somewhere - after all, ole' Brucey is going to try :P