321 grade alternative.

Moderator: Mike Everman

JetSet
Antipspambot question: 0

321 grade alternative.

Post by JetSet » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:03 pm

Hello again.

I cant seem to find 321 grade stainless anywhere in the UK, and importing it will probably end up costing more than I have. I have emailed a number of suppliers, and got this helpful reply from one of them;
The helpful person wrote:Unfortunately we don't have any stock of 0.8 321 we usually just get batches as it comes available usually 0.5mm . Demand for 321 in the UK is now virtually non existent out side the expansion bellow manufacturers. If possible you really need to change to grade 304 or similar if possible otherwise if you can track 321 down you will pay a fortune for a few sheets. It is not practical for us to supply large sheets in small qtys due to carriage costs but you should be able to pick up 304 locally. Other than that the main supply for 321 is from Germany referred to as grade 1.4541.
Hope this helps
Regards
As annoying as it is, at least I can stop looking :lol:

Are there any other suggestions as to which metal to use? From what I have read, 304 wont take the temperatures a lockwood could run at.

I need something cheap, readily available, and can work at high temps (dont we all :lol: )

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: 321 grade alternative.

Post by Viv » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:31 pm

JetSet wrote:Hello again.

I cant seem to find 321 grade stainless anywhere in the UK, and importing it will probably end up costing more than I have. I have emailed a number of suppliers, and got this helpful reply from one of them;
The helpful person wrote:Unfortunately we don't have any stock of 0.8 321 we usually just get batches as it comes available usually 0.5mm . Demand for 321 in the UK is now virtually non existent out side the expansion bellow manufacturers. If possible you really need to change to grade 304 or similar if possible otherwise if you can track 321 down you will pay a fortune for a few sheets. It is not practical for us to supply large sheets in small qtys due to carriage costs but you should be able to pick up 304 locally. Other than that the main supply for 321 is from Germany referred to as grade 1.4541.
Hope this helps
Regards
As annoying as it is, at least I can stop looking :lol:

Are there any other suggestions as to which metal to use? From what I have read, 304 wont take the temperatures a lockwood could run at.

I need something cheap, readily available, and can work at high temps (dont we all :lol: )

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Welcome to the wonderful world of steel stockholders:-) I think you will find a lot of people use 321 in the UK but it is hard to get as the chinese have distorted the world steel situation by their high demand.

304 will not suffice i am afraid for your engine neather will 316L.

we spent three weeks tracking down our current stock and we are living next to a bigger market place for steel, that put us behind on a number of things, very frustrating but now we have enough stock to last us a while.

A laser cut kit of parts for a Lockwood in 16 gauge 321 is about $430 cdn £183 approx, you won't be able to buy a sheet and cut your own parts for that in the UK, that just leaves the 180 degree bend and I am just sorting out those, be about another $165 cdn £70 approx

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

JetSet

re: 321 grade alternative.

Post by JetSet » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:40 pm

News is getting worse by the minute :oops: :?

I would prefer to build it all myself, how much would you sell a sheet for? ;-)

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: re: 321 grade alternative.

Post by Viv » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:57 pm

JetSet wrote:News is getting worse by the minute :oops: :?

I would prefer to build it all myself, how much would you sell a sheet for? ;-)
First find out how to ship an 8x4 sheet across the atlantic:-) I suppose i could pack it between two sheets of plywood to protect it but the kit alternative is only a few feet square to ship in flat pack.

Or I could cut up a sheet in to peaces big enough for the parts to be cut from by your self.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

JetSet

Re: re: 321 grade alternative.

Post by JetSet » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:22 pm

Viv wrote:First find out how to ship an 8x4 sheet across the atlantic:-)
Your right, It wasnt the smartest idea.

Viv wrote:Or I could cut up a sheet in to peaces big enough for the parts to be cut from by your self.
Thanks for the offer, but I have lots of uses for some 321. Idealy, I could do with a few sheets and some time in the shed :-)

I have just found a spec sheet, 309, 310 and 2111HTR were all looking great untill I found out about sigma phase, I probably wont be able to get hold of them anyway.

BAH - 321 is just too damn perfect :evil: :lol: