Minimum intake velocities

Moderator: Mike Everman

ddun

Minimum intake velocities

Post by ddun » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:46 am

Hello All,

I have built a few crude small (1.25" OD x4" appx) sub-sonic modles for experimentation. I used a design that I came up with and they could gernerate thrust with appx 65 cfm intake. My question is: Are there any plans that illustrate a ramjet design that can preduce thrust at lower intake pressures. Excluding the designs in the helocopter that also offers a pulsejet to power it.
My experimetal jets ran off of kerosine but they were sensitive to start up and fuel adjustment, but once that was straitend out they roared and produced appx 8 lbs of thrust.

I was hoping to find some information on the slowest intake speed data and corrasponding designs on the engine/engines that can accomplish low intake pressures.

It would be a great help if you could point me in the right dirrection.

Thank You,

ddun

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Minimum intake velocities

Post by NanoSoft » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:40 am

If you can iwould really like to see one of these things in action or at least just what they look like. I don't know much about ramjets but will do some research.

Nanosoft

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:24 pm

ddun wrote:Hello All,

I have built a few crude small (1.25" OD x4" appx) sub-sonic modles for experimentation. I used a design that I came up with and they could gernerate thrust with appx 65 cfm intake. My question is: Are there any plans that illustrate a ramjet design that can preduce thrust at lower intake pressures. Excluding the designs in the helocopter that also offers a pulsejet to power it.
My experimetal jets ran off of kerosine but they were sensitive to start up and fuel adjustment, but once that was straitend out they roared and produced appx 8 lbs of thrust.

I was hoping to find some information on the slowest intake speed data and corrasponding designs on the engine/engines that can accomplish low intake pressures.

It would be a great help if you could point me in the right dirrection.

Thank You,

ddun
The best place for basic design stuff is going to be the NACA technical report server, they did loads of tests and wrote them up in detail during the late 40s and fiftys.

More recent information is harder to find, turbine diffuser theory will be a good place to look for an answer to your specific question, the entry conditions to the combuster can are the same as a ram jet so its worth a look.

Often you cant find what you want under your subject so you have to look for similar subjects that you can mine for the information you want.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

alex
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by alex » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:01 pm

Any pics of the monsters, or plans? I want to build one!

Alex

Jr

Hi!!!

Post by Jr » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:52 pm

this is a link of a ramjet of down velocity
http://www.cottrillcyclodyne.com/Maggie ... aggie.html
and i want if you can tell me if this work.
i thank you

i am a brazilian

pezman

re: Minimum intake velocities

Post by pezman » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:17 am

Was that 9# thrust figure at 65cfm? I think that corresponds to a speed of about 87mph, if I did the calculation right. That would be a pretty cool engine!

Any chance you could post drawings?