No-weld pipe fitting valveless

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

No-weld pipe fitting valveless

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:45 am

Edit:
This has been a popular build, so I've updated the drawing and some notes. It's a good motor for a beginner to get feet wet on fueling, noise and fire... Enjoy!

Trying to boil down my "rules of thumb" to something Mark might like to make. ;-)

May play with a smaller intake dia, and later some expansion at the tail. If the "lighting of the tail" starting method works, it could be a no-weld, no-drill rig. Just hacksaw and rat-tail file.

I'm going to check my box-o-parts... Anyone else want to play with this?
Attachments
ugly stick, revised 112706.JPG
(377.49 KiB) Downloaded 2472 times
Last edited by Mike Everman on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Re: No-weld pipe fitting valveless

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:47 am

I just got done poppity popping another arrangement in the garage tonight without success, imagine testing at 8:00 pm hoping against hope to get a quick start. I'd say you would definitely need a spark plug to get things started with your design Mike and also be able to control the fuel flow to a very narrow margin and have very tolerant neighbors while you find what you are looking for. I hate it when things don't work right off the bat. I will give your drawing a try Mike, just because I love pain and suffering and self loathing. Thanks for measuring out the specs. If it doesn't work, I will wrestle with reality. Your blow torch poppity pop explorer,
Mark
Last edited by Mark on Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:26 am

PS I see these "ugly sticks" at the store from time to time, only they are fishing rods built tough for slaying the big ones.
Mark
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 71-8484750
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... stid=43028
Yet this fishing gear is dirt cheap compared to the stuff my brother buys. Heck, he had 2 pairs of titanium pliers that might raise the eyebrows of some of you. But he loves to fish as you might guess. This is the brand he has. When I go fishing with him, I fasten a pair to my belt so as not to drop them overboard.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... at=3334202

[Edit: made the link smaller so I could print this page. -Ben]

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:37 am

Mark wrote: I will give your drawing a try Mike, just because I love pain and suffering and self loathing.
LOL, Mark. Let's see if we can work out something to put in the "plans for newbies" forum. I'm going out to the fitting box right now.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:22 am

OK, reality check: layed out some parts, and that combustion chamber nipple needs to be a 2.5" long one, not 4". My reducers are both about 2.25 from pipe end to end of bell.
I'm sure they'll be more, so I'll hold off on changing the drawing!

I've got everything but the really big monkey wrench and the 2 foot long 1 inch pipe. I'll get that tomorrow. Race you, Mark!

I measured the .5 pipe, which is actually more like 5/8" inside. sounds more promising for intake try 2.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:45 am

Mike you dog! My sacred plumbing pipe hunting grounds will be ravaged and plundered now. I can see it happening, soon I will be relocated to some reservation by the Pipeman and the old ways forgotten. The iron horse has arrived.
Mark

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:46 pm

Mike, another idea I toyed with was further tapping the threading of the bells. In that way you can start a pipe of a smaller diameter from the inside of the bell and form a jacketed device, for what I don't know but it seemed interesting. The only thing I have used that idea for is to shoot green fire rings from a canister.
Oh, and then one time I reverse started a short 1/2 inch nipple in a 1 inch bell, and on the nipple I sawed it to form and lay a reed valve over the angled bevel cut for a single flapper reed small pulsejet. It was a very loud pulsejet but the reed failed often and I had to reset it or tighten the nipple back into the bell from time to time. Using 1 inch plumbing pipe for a combustion chamber and 1/2 inch for a tail pipe, you can make a deafeningly loud pulsejet and yet the parts are really cheap.
Anyway, here are two crude drawings of my fire ring shooter and also the threaded pipe within a pipe with bell bookends idea.
Maybe the inner tube could be Swiss cheesed with tiny holes and propane could be introduced into the center tube via the jacketing tank.
I'm glad you are toying with plumbing pipe because any discoveries you make, I can quickly copy. I've got a lot of "tinker toys" and one big vise. I think my vise is one of the most essential tools I have.
I don't know when I will get a chance to experiment, I work late tonight but your drawing sounds like a lot of fun to try. There are so many possibilities when you have tinker toys. And this morning I am so sleepy but again here is my 4th grade sketch to go with my 4th grade syntax.
Mark
Attachments
050309082437.jpg
(347.68 KiB) Downloaded 1792 times

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:49 am

Ha Ha! It runs fresh outta the box!

Very satisfying. I did have to drill and tap a hole for the sparkplug, and should put a brake line fueling tube in the side, now that I know where it wants fuel. The simple rules seem to work.

I don't know what's wrong with my camera or the sound, probably the upgrade to windoze service pack 2.

Stinger in the opening didn't work, but one that blew at 90deg, and put all the way down to the cc opening started right up, like, instant start. Nice throttleability, no visible flame. Coolish exhaust out the front.

the smoke coming off is the paint on the iron tail pipe. I didn't use any sealer, just torque.

The only change to the drawing is the 4" long 2" diameter pipe should be 2.5" long to hit the numbers. Otherwise the dimensions worked perfectly as is.

Mark, this will be a fun test bed engine, let's try some expansion at the tail, shall we? LOL
Attachments
Ugly stick run 1.wmv
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 18197 times
MVC-032F.JPG
(212.13 KiB) Downloaded 1585 times

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:50 pm

Congratulations! All these windows upgrades have been doing really screwy stuff to me too. For example, no matter what video editing program I use the encoded video "ticks" about once a second like a clock. And the fact that my computer decided to consider .mpg to be in the wrong format.

Cant wait to see the stuff! Oh yea, now you REALLY need to put together a "no weld pulsejet" cd and sell to people for $45.00 like BS.

Hopefully this post works, notice there isnt a title in the subject box.... lets check out the preview button.... Woohooo :D

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

resosys

Post by resosys » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:28 am

Mike Everman wrote: Ha Ha! It runs fresh outta the box!
Nice!

I wonder how close I got with this old post...

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=181

I'll have to dig through the plumbing graveyard at the warehouse and see if I can't make something up.

Drilling holes seems to be ok, since it's still no weld and most folks have a drill around.

Time to make a "gaggle" of these engines to scare the new neighbors so they know not to mess with us...

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:53 am

Yup, you were on to it alright. I've gone away from Locky type geometry with Larry's inspiration, that is, smaller intake than exhaust throat areas. Makes it easier to go sonic in the inlet for better plugging, IMHO.
I'll try some expansion on the tail this week, just as you had suggested. I think just one step up at a time.

I was pretty giddy when it worked so well on propane, think I'll see if it'll sip some gasolene!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:21 am

photo:

Last edited by Mike Everman on Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

skyfrog

Post by skyfrog » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:14 pm

Simplicity is the best solution. I like that design.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:09 pm

No neighborhood will be safe now.
Mark

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:25 pm

How about a three piece design, those 5 piece ones are so busy? All that would be needed is a snorkel and pipe and bell to connect them. There was a picture of a straight duct with snorkel in my Pulsating Symposium Book and of couse that Schmidt fellow did one.
I once made a pulsejet out of a straight 1 inch diameter, 24 inch long plumbing pipe with a bell, a two piece deal. It had a single flapper reed and spark plug which required a cork in the tail to build a good enough starting impulse using methanol. It took a lot of patience to get it to sustain. Now that pipe is on my Mike pulsejet, it has a tiny 1/4 32 spark plug hole so I won't have to do that difficult part of installing a plug, drilling that one hole. ha I need a tank of propane now, I've run dry! I can hardly wait to try Mike's design, it's all set up now, I had forgotten I even had the 1 inch pipe that long. I toyed with smaller pipe and smaller linear designs without success. That propane can be fussy. I've been spoiled with methanol, believe me.
Mark