Sucessful FWE Run With Video

Moderator: Mike Everman

Nick
Antipspambot question: 0

Sucessful FWE Run With Video

Post by Nick » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:12 pm

Hi all

Im sure my long suffering neighbours were delighted to hear the song of the FWE as it broke into sustained running, its a bit loud! but not too bad anyway i filmed the test and attached it here for your viewing pleasure.

The Dimesions are listed on the film, it is quite sensitive to small changes so i recorded it on the film, thats what you can hear me muttering at the begining of the film "110mm", any guesses on what im saying at the end.?

Now that i have it running i can start the other tests regarding carburation.

Hopefully we now also have some exact results for Graham to plug into UFlow as well.

Enjoy!

Nick
Attachments
FWE run.wmv
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 12131 times

Mike Everman

Re: Sucessful FWE Run With Video

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:50 pm

Great! Got a skateboard and a fish scale?
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

francisco

Post by francisco » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:09 pm

hola mella. me agrada mucho saber que su fwe finalmente arranco, debe sentirse orgulloso de si mismo.

me gustaria saber de donde saco los planos, y si tiene uno enviemelo porfavor, si tiene fotos o descripciones en cuanto a como es el iyector, como es la pipa, la cantidad de gas que inyecta, aire,etc,etc. porfavor, hagamelo saber. estoy tratando de juntar la mayor cantidad de planos posibles para abrir una pagina web.

mi e mail es:fran_rio88@hotmail.com
"I DONT`T SUFFER OF MADNESS, I ENJOY IT CONTINUALLY"

fran_rio88@hotmail.com

francisco

Post by francisco » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:12 pm

nick, lo anterior era para ti, es que no tengo un buen traductor t a nick me lo traduce mella
"I DONT`T SUFFER OF MADNESS, I ENJOY IT CONTINUALLY"

fran_rio88@hotmail.com

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:16 pm

Nick, that was an interesting start. Kind of makes one appreciate how you can be so close to something working, if you didn't press on, one might miss something right under their nose, or just over the horizon.
And too, I've felt the same with the pop, pop, bang, bang effect, how it starts to weigh on you because of the concern for neighbors. I remember one woman two houses down thinking I was shooting off rockets, when if fact it was just my snorekeler not catching. Instead of chuffing after an intial exhalation, it woud shoot out a quick blast of air, not an explosion, just an energetic screechy hiss.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:50 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Great! Got a skateboard and a fish scale?
I have some friction free linear slides, but will have to get a fish scale and a u bend recuperator :-)

Nick

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:38 pm

francisco wrote:hola mella. me agrada mucho saber que su fwe finalmente arranco, debe sentirse orgulloso de si mismo.

me gustaria saber de donde saco los planos, y si tiene uno enviemelo porfavor, si tiene fotos o descripciones en cuanto a como es el iyector, como es la pipa, la cantidad de gas que inyecta, aire,etc,etc. porfavor, hagamelo saber. estoy tratando de juntar la mayor cantidad de planos posibles para abrir una pagina web.

mi e mail es:fran_rio88@hotmail.com
Hola Francisco,
pienso que entiendo. Este traductor no es perfecto. Era muy bueno comenzar para arriba el FWE. Publicaré otro que dibuja así que usted puede ver exactamente lo que
lo hice. La cantidad de gas del propano inyectada era una cantidad pequeña, el motor es sensible a la fuente de combustible.
Hace usted comenzarle para arriba FWE todavía?.
mella del respeto
Nick

I think Francisco is asking for more sizes so i have attached another sketch with dimensions.
Nick
Attachments
fwe plan1.JPG
fwe plan1.JPG (16.45 KiB) Viewed 22043 times

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:38 pm

You needn't have the recuperator, just put a dam (plate) in front of the intake, attached to the moving thrust carriage, far enough that it doesn't screw with the engine. I did a small(ish) block about 5" in front.

You get then the contribution of the tail only, with no accidental augmentation.

Then remove the plate, and get the tail minus intake number. That's all the info you need.
Attachments
MVC-849F.JPG
MVC-849F.JPG (93.87 KiB) Viewed 22026 times

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:45 pm

However, Nick, if you insist on recuperation, I still say the nicest thing you could get for an engine this size is half of an undersink S-trap: easy-cutting thin brass, chrome plated and cheap.

L Cottrill

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:47 pm

Nice one Mike!,
Larry, i saw a nice bit of PVC tubing that would probably do the job for shortish runs, it doesnt get that hot out front, Even Cheaper :-)

I was thinking about measuring thrust and thought the most accuarate way would be to rig up a simple pulley system counter balanced with small weighs/lumps of metal of a know weight, or just pile stuff on untill the carriage moves back, then just wieght the lot on kitchen scales.?.

Nick

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:53 pm

Nick wrote:I was thinking about measuring thrust and thought the most accuarate way would be to rig up a simple pulley system counter balanced with small weighs/lumps of metal of a know weight, or just pile stuff on untill the carriage moves back, then just wieght the lot on kitchen scales.?.

Nick
Nick -

Another good way I though of for accurate measurement of small thrust values would be a heavy, sealed hollow cylinder [weighted at the bottom end] that would just sink in water. As the engine moves forward, it would pull the cylinder up out of the water until the un-buoyed weight would be equal to thrust. But, of course, it would need to be calibrated with some trusted scale to start with, so there's probably no real advantage to it.

L Cottrill

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:34 pm

I still fail to understand what's wrong with the methods used by Werner von Braun, Paul Schmidt et al.

(1) they used ordinary scales;

(2) they tested their machines in vertical position, exhaust upwards.

If you use normal scales, they are already calibrated, made linear etc. etc. You just read off the thrust value, like the weight of a sack of potatoes.

Schmidt (and Reynst) also used the vertical position to great advantage by using a flue above the engine to carry a lot of the noise and all the exhaust gas away into a fairly ordinary chimney. The research staff apparently appreciated that a lot.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:51 pm

Doggone it, Bruno! Engines should be simple - instrumentation should be complex!

L Cottrill

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:59 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:I still fail to understand what's wrong with the methods used by Werner von Braun, Paul Schmidt et al.
Random thoughts:
That works great for bigger engines, of course.
I suppose we could ignore any effects of mounting in a way we don't intend to use it...
If we really want to dyno tune these things, then you want a lot of resolution, and to vibration isolate between engine and scale.
Once I exceed the 10 lb of my force gage, I'll do exactly as you say, Bruno. Perhaps put a weight on the scale, then a blob of rubber, then the engine mount.
I have been using a kinked wire or a piece of rubber tube between force gage and engine to absorb the vibration. The vibration will make short work of any little mechanism inside the scale.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:05 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Random thoughts:
That works great for bigger engines, of course.
I suppose we could ignore any effects of mounting in a way we don't intend to use it...
If we really want to dyno tune these things, then you want a lot of resolution, and to vibration isolate between engine and scale.
Once I exceed the 10 lb of my force gage, I'll do exactly as you say, Bruno. Perhaps put a weight on the scale, then a blob of rubber, then the engine mount.
I have been using a kinked wire or a piece of rubber tube between force gage and engine to absorb the vibration. The vibration will make short work of any little mechanism inside the scale.
Mike -

That was one reason I still used my broken cinder block on the scale when I tried it with the old Elektra I. It would have worked, too, except that my leaf blower and shop vac blew a lot of gritty crud from my gravel driveway up into the body of the scale and locked it up pretty solid! It took a while to get it all shaken out again.

L Cottrill

PS: Check out the monster I left for you in a new thread ...