Water/methanol

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Water/methanol

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:57 am

If you scroll down and read "A brief History" on this item, it is kind of interesting to ponder.
Mark
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33597
Presentation is Everything

yipster
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Water/methanol

Post by yipster » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:35 pm

Water injection was evaluated scientifically in the 1930’s by H. Ricardo who demonstrated that one can basically double the power output of an engine using water/methanol
that sure is interesting and i wonder why not used more comonly.
elsewhere reading about superheated steam was mentioned burning propane forms it also.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:10 pm

Since we are on the topic, and as mentioned in another catagory on statically running pulsejets, (that 100 pounder Solar with the ruined valves), they might tend to overheat if not moving through the air or at least put more wear and tear on the engine. The Dynajet says not to run it static for too long as well.
That's where Earl Bailey comes in to say methanol runs cooler which we all know. He recommends methanol in his engines. It might be "beneficial" for some engines to run cooler. So since methanol burns a few hundred degrees cooler than gasoline (I read that on some internet site) imagine methanol with water in it. 4 out of 5 racecar drives say so too, that when on fire, they want to be lit up with alcohol instead of gasoline.
How interesting it would be to have an engine that doesn't glow or runs as cool as possible. I just wonder what ratio of water to methanol would run in a Dynajet, just how much water could you add?
Does anyone know the coolest burning undiluted fuel. I'm going to see if I can find out.
Mark

yipster
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by yipster » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:46 pm

methanol binds good with water i understand? that i can check, having that mix burn well however needs a CC i imagine...

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:48 pm

Well my ethanol which is 190 proof Everclear is 95% ethanol and 5% water and it does OK in my jam jar tinkerings. Maybe methanol would work OK as low as 80% alcohol/20% water in a Dynajet. It might take pure methanol to get it started and then using the head of heat, get the diluted alcohol to burn well enough.
I wouldn't be doing this to increase thrust though, but only as an experiment to see what would occur, to see how cool a jet could run.
On a related topic, it would be fun to string a line across my backyard and see if could make a lightweight jellyfish breather, something that chuffed very slowly, or maybe a true pulse power toy airplane, as it started to dip from lack of thrust another impulse would lift it back up enough to stay up and puff around the sky. Perhaps the platinum wire glowing filament trick would work for that.
I have a 5 by 14 inch steel tank and it can chuff as slow as one or two times a second for extended periods. It has a little 3/4 inch snorkel on top about 4 inches long. Then after a bit, perhaps 15 seconds it starts speeding up to quite a peppy pace on a cool day. If your toy plane and thin walled combustion shell shape were to run very slowly perhaps you could get away with something very thin, say something around .010ths thick for the walls of the combustion vessel. There wouldn't be any strong force on it nor red heat which might buckle this thin metal, the .010ths.
A very light toy plane with a slow pulse propulsion unit would be greatly admired, somewhere inbetween jam jar land and snorkel land.
Mark