Stainless FWE with small intake runs at -3 F !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Stainless FWE with small intake runs at -3 F !!!!!!!!!!!

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:00 pm

Eric -

Can I get your permission to use one of your SS FWE pictures (above) and one of the Big Lady on my FWE page? I might want to use one or both in the new issue of jetZILLA I'm working on, as well - that one will include your Pulsejet Calculator article (at last!).

L Cottrill

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:35 pm

Yea sure! If I ever get to the shop I will take some pics of the newer and mostly complete fancy versions. Last I heard we are supposed to get like 2 feet of snow this evening. :(

Yea, well for the calc article, its better late than never. You might want to mention that I am going to be releasing version 1.5 soon. How soon I am not sure.

Ill send you some pics from my thesis/book type thing as well that you can add in. THATS RIGHT ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN EMAILING ME BEGGING FOR THE EQUATIONS TO MY CALCULATOR! NOW YOU CAN READ MY BOOK AND HAVE ACCESS TO THE IN DEPTH EQUATIONS THAT DIDNT GO INTO THE CALCULATOR!!! Ok now where was I.

Does anyone know where to get decent lenghts of 1/8 and 1/16" ID stainless tubing?

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:30 pm

mcmaster.com really good selection, I just got:

8989k388 2"x.035x6' 304 tube
8989k288 1x.035x6' 304 tube
8989k11 .125x.016x6' 304 tube
8989k15 .1875x.020x6' 304 tube

I had to stop myself from clicking, I just wanted it all!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:11 pm

Eric -

Thanks. I will certainly make mention of the upcoming version.

As relates to tubing, note that the diameter dimension given as a specification in most cases will be OD, not ID. Metal tubing and metal pipe are specified differently in that regard. There may be exceptions in the case of some special purpose materials - maybe Al Belli will comment if he knows of such instances.

L Cottrill

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:18 pm

HOLY CRAP! Why havent I found that website earlier?????????

I am sooooo lucky I dont have a high limit credit card. I could just see the UPS guy pulling up with a couple miles of stainless tubing....

I am very tempted by those 50 foot coils though.

Thank you sooooo much for finding that link!!!

Larry, problem solved :)

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:28 pm

I almost got the 50' coil too, but the 6' pieces of any imaginable small tube are so reasonable, I just layed in some random stock.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:32 pm

Yea. I am going to be up all night looking at this site. I just found hypodermic sized seamless stainless tubing. Larry I think you should make the worlds smallest pulsejet ever, so small it could fly around in the human body like that cheezy old scifi movie.

Eric

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:52 am

Eric wrote:Yea. I am going to be up all night looking at this site. I just found hypodermic sized seamless stainless tubing. Larry I think you should make the worlds smallest pulsejet ever, so small it could fly around in the human body like that cheezy old scifi movie.
Eric, a guy I corresponded with was working for a defense industry company specializing in ultra-miniature flying devices. Some years ago, they were working on a milimeter _long_ pulsejet etched out of quartz crystal.

I talked to the guy about the Reynolds number and viscosity etc. but he was cagey and wouldn't give any details. My theory is that they were using a two-component fuel that ignited upon mixing or a single-component with a catalyst, which would make their engine a pulse-rocket, rather than a pulsejet, but I don't really know.

Anyway, the defense money did not materialize in the end, so the company went into flapping wing research instead. I wish I could see their project documentation, though.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:04 pm

Eric wrote:Yea. I am going to be up all night looking at this site. I just found hypodermic sized seamless stainless tubing. Larry I think you should make the worlds smallest pulsejet ever, so small it could fly around in the human body like that cheezy old scifi movie.
Eric
I bought some 316 stainless steel tubing that was pretty small awhile ago. I was planning some really small fuel feed for an ultra tiny jet. If you attach some typical model airplane silicone fuel line to it, and hold the tip of the Varian tubing straight down, it barely allows drops to form and drip away. It's .010ths inside diameter (ID) and .065 OD. and in 30 cm lengths.
http://www.metachem.com/Products/MISC/sstubing.htm
Mark
Attachments
050122094502.jpg
050122094502.jpg (93.46 KiB) Viewed 12371 times
Presentation is Everything

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:42 pm

whats the coldest anyone has ever heard of a pulsejet running at? Last night it got down to -12 F, however I was not brave enough to try to run the engine. It would have been interesting though.

I dont see why they dont just put tiny cameras on bumble bees or dragon flys ;)

Eric

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:46 pm

Eric wrote:I dont see why they dont just put tiny cameras on bumble bees or dragon flys ;)
They don't respond to RC well.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:04 pm

lmao. Yea but if you had a couple thousand bugs, and sprayed targets with areial pheromone bombs, you could get them all to congregate in one area :)

Back to something more serious.... I have often thought of taking bullet casings and taking the primers out andmaking a little pulsejet type thing. I was going to make a tharrat cap out of some steel 7.62x39 casings and a small piece of tubing but never got around to it. Depending on the bullet you could get basically any size / neck down that you could need. Some barrett 50 cal casings could make a nice jet type thing.

Eric

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:12 pm

Actually, leaving the cap would give you a nice once-only starter, wouldn't it? :o)

steve

Post by steve » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:32 pm

Eric wrote:
lmao. Yea but if you had a couple thousand bugs, and sprayed targets with areial pheromone bombs, you could get them all to congregate in one area :)

Back to something more serious.... I have often thought of taking bullet casings and taking the primers out andmaking a little pulsejet type thing. I was going to make a tharrat cap out of some steel 7.62x39 casings and a small piece of tubing but never got around to it. Depending on the bullet you could get basically any size / neck down that you could need. Some barrett 50 cal casings could make a nice jet type thing.

Eric
the problem is that you would need steel casings and while they exist, they are only made in the most common calibers (7.62x39, .223, etc) while all the rest are brass. I'm not sure weather the there are .50 BMG casings made from steel, if there are, I've never seen them. once you get over .50 caliber, most of the casings are made from steel (like Mark's 30mm reynst) but it might be rather difficult to aquire them (ebay perhaps?)

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:32 pm

The Dynajet inventors used a shell casing and some plumbing pipe for their first prototype. Bruce Tharpe uses bullet casings to close off one end of his bladder fuel tank/tubing. What he does is use the groove around the base of the cartridge to wrap wire around the stretch tubing, pressing the tubing into the groove to form a seal. Then he pressurizes his elastic tubing/fuel tank inside a soft drink plastic bottle like a strong water balloon.
So these are two uses for shells or cartridges. I have a few shell casings that I have punched the firing pins out of and I have run them jam jar style for short runs by rubber stoppering the necked end and using the firing pin hole for the in/out combustion.
From left to right are: my chrome syringe, three shell casing, the larger ones 30 mm, and to the far right a graphite crucible I haven't gotten around to trifling with. The crucible is made of carbon of course and has the highest melting point of any element, even surpassing tungsten/wolfram.
Mark
Attachments
050122132704.jpg
050122132704.jpg (251.3 KiB) Viewed 12340 times
Presentation is Everything