Reynst build

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Reynst build

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:41 am

some photos of where I'm at, just need to plug the top of the intake header (the tee) so that I can adjust the pipe up and down to change the slit. then I need a simple butterfly valve in the branch of the tee, and put the vortex ring inside the pot. oh, and put a sparkplug, fuel and air feed.

Other than that, I'm done! It's sure getting easier to weld stainless with the Henrob torch. The header to cc head weld came out so nice. Zoom in and look. (I'm just excited that it's getting easier to make it look good!)
Attachments
misc0003_3.JPG
(206.64 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
misc0002_2.JPG
(160.03 KiB) Downloaded 850 times
misc0001_1.JPG
(208.72 KiB) Downloaded 876 times
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Reynst build

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:26 am

Mike, it looks fantastic.

A heretical thought intrudes. I think I have posted this idea in the forum before (or maybe just discussed it with some forum participants through e-mail) -- why not stick a simple moped carb on the side port?

You could play with those nifty tuned intake stacks they use on racing engines.
Attachments
Velocity_stacks.jpg
Velocity_stacks.jpg (120.71 KiB) Viewed 11349 times

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:02 pm

Oooh, those are cool.
You touch on the essence of what I want to know, that is, can you put a carb on that header without it backfiring out the carb? I've been meaning to stop by the motorcycle shop and get a junk 2-cycle carb with reed valves, and try it with and without valves, too. do 2-cycle carbs have a butterfly valve, too?
The Reynst slit and fuel feed is really one big carb, the difference being that the mix isn't right anywhere but in the CC, IMO.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:05 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Oooh, those are cool.

They are, aren't they? Like a nice cleavage. I get a kick just from staring at them for a minute...
Mike Everman wrote:can you put a carb on that header without it backfiring out the carb? I've been meaning to stop by the motorcycle shop and get a junk 2-cycle carb with reed valves, and try it with and without valves, too.
Please do! If it works, you'll finally have the perfect pulsejet for enthusiasts. My feeling is that the issue is not simple, just as it isn't in the 2-stroke engines. Namely, probably every theory about this thing is right at least partly.

So, it might work just with a simple carb on the side -- if perfectly calibrated. The right slit, the right manifold, the right carb, the right fuel jet and the right velocity stack. After all, you want all those things right for a good piston engine, don't you? Why would a jet engine be that much different?

With a reed valve pack, the thing will probably be more forgiving, just as it is more forgiving on a 2-stroke engine. You might retain more of the energy of pulsation in the flow and improve the'torque' (whatever it may be in a jet engine) as you do on two-strokes. What blowbacks might occur on a straight-through manifold would be prevented. Yet, the valves will not be overstressed, being out of the harm's way. Peak power (whatever it may be in a jet engine) might suffer a little, as is does on two-strokes.

Whichever path you choose, nothing will be simple. But, the final product might be delightfully simple for the user. Also, Everman Bell is a good, solid name for an engine manufacturer. The EB initials can be ararnged the way Ettore Bugatti did on the badge on his engines and cars. It's a good omen.
Mike Everman wrote:do 2-cycle carbs have a butterfly valve, too?
Nope. They usually have guillotine slides. I've always thought an irisng throttle would be perfect for this kind of thing. Preferrably conical, rather than flat.

One can always dream.

mk

Post by mk » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:38 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Do 2-cycle carbs have a butterfly valve, too?
Carburetors of two-stroke chain saws or two-stroke scythes (e.g. from Husqvarna or Sthil) often have a simple butterfly valve assembly insted of motorcycle carburetor guillotine slides.

It's really a cool idea using a carburetor for pre-mixing at lipfeeded Reynst combustors.
mk

camino75080

Post by camino75080 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:46 am

Find a racing go-kart shop and ask for the carb to a Yamaha KT-100, its got like a 20-35 mm bore, flows real good.
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a great friend will be sitting in the cell with you laughing about how great it was, while you wait for a good friend.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:00 am

Ha ha, racing go-cart shop! Don't think I've ever seen one of those before, but there's plenty of Yamaha shops. Thanks.

camino75080

Post by camino75080 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:48 am

My friend and I biuld a cart around a KT-100 pushing about 22 HP and geared it for 60, that SOB turned about 15,000 RPM. The look on people's faces was great when they would see a cart come flying from behind them at a stop light. Good times, until he flipped it goin' about 35 MPH and cracked the block on the engine.
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a great friend will be sitting in the cell with you laughing about how great it was, while you wait for a good friend.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:22 pm

Getting quiet resonance on meths, tailpipe is 15.75 long, pot is 8" tall by 3" dia.

Resonance is about 210 hz. Can't wait to force some air, starting it with a high energy pop, and put proper feeds and spark! When you light the tail all primed up, it make a startling bark, more like a fwomp.

You can watch inside thru the tee and see the flame get sucked into the slit and stay inside the pot. Faaaaaaaascinating.
Attachments
dynamo hum short.WMV
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 4820 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:20 pm

I think the volume of the combustion chamber is too small for the exhaust chimney, or the exhaust tube is too large for the canister. I have toyed with similar shapes, you really need a lot of "drive" to run a stack or gaped exhaust.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:42 pm

Oh, I'm not using that stack, and I need the butterfly valve and ability to screw adjust the slit before I can do any highly loaded tests. The fuel moat around the opening looks like it'll work well.

pezman

Post by pezman » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:57 pm

"Dynamo hum" - lol.

I'm watching from the edge of the bed to see if anyone bets you a $40 bill on making this thing work.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:56 pm

Sounds like my bathtub draining, although most times I shower.
Mark

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:15 pm

Like the big stainless tubes in the background? Kazoo el grande coming up.

Pezman, I'll pick up that $40 bill with my zircon encrusted tweezers!

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:17 pm

Mike, I was thinking that this apparatus is in some way similar to your Reynster. Looks like a good way to control or modulate the "snorkel". And too I suppose you could even make a sleeve for your snorkel and trombone the length as well as raise or lower the gap where it breathes. This guy could be snorkeling if he only knew it.
Mark
http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=51