1962 ad for small jet engine from Gluhareff Helicopters

Moderator: Mike Everman

WebPilot
Antipspambot question: 0

1962 ad for small jet engine from Gluhareff Helicopters

Post by WebPilot » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:31 pm

I am a nostalgia/history buff.

Note the manufacturer is Gluhareff Helicopters, not EMG Engineering Co., as found in 1970's advertisements.

Later,

-fde

Tom

Re: 1962 ad for small jet engine from Gluhareff Helicopters

Post by Tom » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:56 pm

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?co ... chtab=home

Who here is in california? Think anything could be gained by visiting this place? or is that just stupidly optimistic.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:36 pm

I live 1.5 hrs drive away. Doubt it's worth going down to look at the building, but who knows? There's probably an engine hanging on the wall of a nearby diner or something... ;-)
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:18 am

I just checked some dates:

E. M. Gluhareff filed for a patent March 11, 1957.

This ad came out of a 1962 magazine.

The patent is dated June 18, 1963 - guess he couldn't wait to go into production even if it was still unprotected at this time.

If I lived only an hour and a half away, I'd go snooping. Perhaps, this is a former home address and you may be able to track him down if he's still alive.

You may get a chance to meet Eugene! Tell him I said hi! Take a camera and bring back lots of stuff! ;-)

Later,

-fde

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:28 am

WebPilot wrote: >>>The patent is dated June 18, 1963 - guess he couldn't wait to go into production even if it was still unprotected at this time.
Ah, the good ol' days, when you could keep a patent pending for years before the clock starts ticking. It actually was the best protection, because any competition had to wait for the actual award to see what all you were claiming.

It would be interesting to look for him, though. Keep it coming, Forrest, these photos are great!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:28 am

I've had some patents take 2 years to award. A bit of pending there, too. Still, some companies in the old days kept patents pending for a decade or more.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:46 am

Contacting the Gluhareffs isn't difficult, ...
Cool. What's the address? How do I reach him?

Later,

-fde

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:06 pm

BB,
Contacting the Gluhareffs isn't difficult,
So, this statement is untrue.

--------------------
Mike,
Keep it coming, Forrest, these photos are great!
I am glad you are enjoying them. They just "pop up" in my reading from time to time.

Later (and happy holidays),

-fde

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:08 pm

WebPilot wrote:BB,
Contacting the Gluhareffs isn't difficult,
So, this statement is untrue.
Well, yes and no. Eugene is dead. His sister is still around. She used to have all the stuff Eugene left behind, but rumor has it she's sold off most of it to other people. It gets diffuse from that point on.

Frankly, by now, Viv & Luc may well be a better source of information than the old lady.

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:06 am

When the music's over ...
turn out the lights.

mk

Post by mk » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:07 pm

WebPilot wrote:When the music's over ...
turn out the lights.
Hehe..."The Doors"...
...weird people and weird music do fit not too bad...
...simply a post I've waited for, but mostly Mark "saves my day" this way...hehe...
mk

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:37 pm

This is a Jet forum, and still no reference to Light My Fire?
tut tut.

Tom : oP
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:37 pm

Ben wrote:Exactly. I didn't say "contacting Gluhareff".

Luc and Viv have demonstrated that they have a better working knowledge of the engine than the people who ended up with Gluhareff's information. The only reasone you would have to contact Irina would be if you had a serious offer for "the retirement engine" (if it exists) or if you were doing a serious biography.
As you say Ben we have gained a working knowledge of the Eugene's pressure jets, this came from first hand testing the 130R engine.

We detailed and proved the underlying principals of the pressure jet some time ago and have now moved on to our own designs, the new engines bear little resemblance to the original pressure jets, but our new engine if you saw it would look a lot like Eugene's retirement engine from the outside.

I Have not had access to Eugene's notes or secret designs so all our engine development and design work has been done the hard way from first principles and test stand experience.

It took me quite a while to work out what he was doing with the insides of his retirement engine as I only had a vague description of what it looked like and my own understanding of how the pressure jet worked, one proposed layout I saw from some guy was laughably incorrect in its assumptions of how a pressure jet worked! I still chuckle over that one:-) especially the reflectors! they just killed me:-)

We sat down and wrote a list of the improvements we wanted and then developed a new layout incorporating those new features, that layout looked a lot like the retirement engine!, but with that said we have now moved a number of steps further on with our design as preliminary results show we can run from diesel or normal jet fuel, and performance and SFC is significantly enhanced; at the moment noise does not look to be an issue anymore.

Eugene Glueharef was a very clever man indeed and I never cease to be amazed at the subtleties and creativeness in his design of the pressure jet, I still maintain though that his crowning achievement was to obfuscate and successfully hide how it actually works from all the people who have tried to rip off his work, the available information is in a lot of cases wishful physics! I have it on first hand information that he deliberately did not tell people the underlying principles of how the pressure jet worked, a very wise move on his part as it turned out!

His plans and notes seem to have ended up being divided between various family members and other people who claim to have been his best buddy at one time or another, one guy he employed was selling his plans off behind Eugene's back while drawing a wage out of Eugene's pocket! that guy is believed to be one of the people profiting from Eugene's work on the internet.

R Q Riley, Irena Glueharef and Craig wall seem to have a connection, while Vortech is connected to another family member possibly the second wife, while working on Luc's first pressure jet purchased from Vortech he contacted R.Q Riley who contacted Irena who then asked Craig wall to contact Luc and help him as the 130R was only producing 55 lb., as Craig could not get the engine to work Luc had to start the Pressure jet power fail thread in this forum and that led to me getting involved and ultimately sorting out why the 130R never worked at its rated thrust.

I have the utmost respect for Eugene's work and achievements, but its a crying shame how his contribution to pulse jets has been wasted and largely lost due to peoples greed and self interest, his notes are divided and inaccessible to us and his plans that are being peddled are a confusing mixture of different versions, most of them sadly full of errors, the 130R is just plain wrong in places and lacks a number of critical modifications to get it to work at more than 55 lb.

I have spoken to at least two people who actually knew Eugene and had first hand dealings with him, the picture they paint of what he had to contend with speaks volumes, they do speak of him with warmth and fondness so I think he must have been an ok guy.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:52 pm

viv wrote:....preliminary results show we can run from diesel or normal jet fuel, and performance and SFC is significantly enhanced; at the moment noise does not look to be an issue anymore.
Casual bomshell, that. What's the schedule for any disclosure on the details of this?

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:22 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Casual bomshell, that.
You can say that again. "Oh, and we also managed got controlled fusion the other day..." Viv, you're a bad boy. But, I'd never have you any other way. Congratulations.