Anyone identify this valveless Pulse Jet?

Moderator: Mike Everman

marksteamnz
Antipspambot question: 0

Anyone identify this valveless Pulse Jet?

Post by marksteamnz » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:47 pm

http://www.sonicwind.com/concepts4.html

This chap is based in the USA. Amongst the rambling is this reference to a Pulse jet (90lbs thrust) powered streamliner . The engine suposedly came from a drone. Looks to have two intakes and one exhaust.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Anyone identify this valveless Pulse Jet?

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:55 pm

Mark, it is a Thermojet. It was designed by John A. Melenric and manufactured by his Thermo-Jet Standard Inc. of Kerrville, Texas. The biggest models were used on drones (and reportedly also to power a man-carrying glider). The smallest were used on flying models, but without much success.

Here's another picture.
Attachments
Big_thermojet.JPG
Big_thermojet.JPG (26.85 KiB) Viewed 16225 times

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:02 am

Thanks Bruno.
How did they rate specific fuel consumption wise compared to a Lockwood? Easier or harder to build?
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:32 am

"I dismantled it and gave the pulse jet engine to Bob Lazar. "

This is the line that probably passed you guys by. Bob Lazar is the famous/infamous nut genius who claimed to have seen Aliens and their spaceships at Area 51 here in Nevada. I know about him in part because I worked for a signage company that did off the wall projects (think Las Vegas signage) and had a couple genius sorts (along with me). They had one of Lazar's rocket go-karts in for some fabrication work one time, in preparation for the Burning Man carnival (a big hippy get together in the desert every year where they burn the huge likeness of a man made of wood - hence Burning Man).

Lazar is a genius no doubt. I heard he had made a bunch of money by building one of the first grid computers. Also heard that he had bought an old missile silo in cahoots with William Shatner (Captain Kirk of Star Trek fame).

All sounds a little crazy, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I told you, I'm in Las Vegas.
I'm writing an automated airplane designer in java, useful later when you guys get ready to bolt a p-jet onto some wings

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:04 am

I use to live in Las Vegas, and worked at the Riviera. It was kind of interesting, they had the Improv at that time in one of the showrooms and I loved to listen to the comedians, but most times I worked the show Splash backstage. That was fun too, all those showgirls and ongoings. And then too I would watch this act in another showroom the Riv has. I got to see a lot of silliness.
Mark
http://www.lasvegas-nv.com/splash.htm
http://www.wedoitallvegas.com/shows/Spl ... _Vegas.asp
http://las-vegas.travelnice.com/crazy-g ... ckets.html
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:36 pm

Stuart,
Do you remember the size of that valveless, the diameter and such things as estimated thrust it was said to produce? It looks dang big in the photo Bruno posted. I wonder what the fuel consumption was?
Mark
Presentation is Everything

steve

Post by steve » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:53 pm

What I want to know is how the small thermojets mounted in model aircraft were fueled. Perhaps they carried small tanks of propane? this seems unlikely, but I can think of few other possible solutions to the fueling situation.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:18 am

steve wrote:What I want to know is how the small thermojets mounted in model aircraft were fueled. Perhaps they carried small tanks of propane? this seems unlikely, but I can think of few other possible solutions to the fueling situation.
The J-3 200 model, offered for flying models, was 3 foot long and weighed 3 lbs with the plumbing but without the fuel tank and fuel. Thrust was rated at 3 lbs but contemporary reports say this often degenerated to something closer to 1 lb. It consumed relatively vast amounts of propane for its size – over 16 lbs per hour at full thrust.

Given that the layout was nevertheless used for relatively serious applications, it may be that the Thermojet only really works well in larger sizes.

Here's a really shitty picture of the way the small one was to be mounted in a flying model. If anyone has a better one, I'd welcome it.
Attachments
Thermojet_installation.JPG
Thermojet_installation.JPG (7.79 KiB) Viewed 16112 times

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:43 am

Bruno, anyone, are there plans for the 90 lb or larger one? This is the one I'd like to build, as it has been built, it is supposed to crank out some serious thrust and the Chinese, French and Lockwoods are so...asymetric and hey "asymetry! we don't need no steenking asymetry!" appologies once again to The Treasure of Sierra Madre fans.

I've re read you notes on the Thermojet in the valveless Bruno but it's appears more information may have come to light.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:10 pm

marksteamnz wrote:more information may have come to light.
Not a <expletive deleted> thing has come to light since, except for that big photo. I also have a drawing of a four-piper if you're interested. It's got some of the basic dimensions noted and you can work out the rest, I guess. The drawing appears to be to scale. It's probably far from 90 lbs that you require, though.

I think Larry and a few other people will have a field day with the L/3 and L/4 notations.

Have fun.
Attachments
Melenric-four-pipe01.jpg
(50.51 KiB) Downloaded 764 times

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:34 pm

Thanks Bruno.
Out with the tape measure, calipers and so to the shed. Also a good excuse to make a set of slip rolls. Tools, more tools, doctor I must have more tools.

Question Would it be a disaster to have a rounded end rather than a flat end? I have a couple of scrap Freon / Propane tanks that could be used and will speed up the fabrication, not that it will be fast anyway.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:07 pm

Mark, I don't think it matters much. Melenric used more than one shape of the chamber bottom. Good luck.

Kool
Antipspambot question: 125

ThermoJet engines

Post by Kool » Tue May 31, 2011 8:02 am

I found this:
Attachments
thermojet_range.pdf
ThermoJet range
(318.89 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Very nice. Some good data that I can use right now! Thanks for posting that.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

dynajetjerry

Post by dynajetjerry » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Bruno,
I have one of John Melenric's J3-200 engines and it is smaller than the dimensions you posted. I think they refer to his larger design, perhaps a J4-500. My J3 weighs about 1 lb. and measures about 3 in. diameter and 2 feet long. I've never operated it.
John sent me a video of him installing and running the J3. Because most valveless designs require a large flow of fuel, they
(like the J3,) need liquid propane to operate. That is why the tank is positioned as it is, tilted downward so that the fuel pick-up is always immirsed in the liquid.
By their very nature, valveless versions usually need a much greater fuel flow than valved designs for similar performance. For instance, the Dyna-Jet burns about 10 lbs. gasoline per hour for its 4.5 lbs. thrust and a similar-powered valveless would require about 15 lbs. liquid propane! The pressurized tank sufficient for a 3 minute run would weigh at least 3 lbs.
Jerry
Louder is always better.