Looking for a big Lockwood!

Moderator: Mike Everman

mk
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Looking for a big Lockwood!

Post by mk » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:29 pm

Grado wrote:The Lockwood is my first pulse jet, apart from a tiny one that didnt run, I work as a welder so i've got access to some good tools.
I hope to build more in the future, If I can decide which type :-)
I'd like to see an "Escopette"...

Really nice work! You got my respect!
mk

Xama

Post by Xama » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:51 pm

Ben wrote:You could go to the regular UK meetings of the people from the DIY-GT list. They rent out a runway at Bovingdon to drag race gas turbine go karts. I know they wouldn't mind some more pulse jets, they alrady had the Lockwood trolley run there.

http://www.nickhaddock.co.uk/jetgallery.htm
It's not just karts there, though a lot of people like the idea of putting an engine on something that moves.

Last time round we had a number of karts, but also a few stationary home built and commercial engines.

The next meet is 25th February 2005, if you're interested in coming along either contact Nick through his site, or join the DIY-GT list and drop Gary a message, who is the guy that organises the days.
David Parrott

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:06 am

Oooooh. I checked my schedule, and I might just be able to go! I hear it's cheap fares about that time, I mean, who wants to go to to the UK in Feb????
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:09 am

Grado, that threading on your fitting almost looks like something off of a helicopter, my other brother works at Whiting Field, he goes up and down and tests the "birds" to make sure they are ready for the Navy boys to fly. The threading on your fitting looks like something off a helicopter, perhaps a hydraulic fitting, my brother gave some defective parts, a few old parts a long time ago? Just guessing about the threading, it looks unusual.
Mark

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -field.htm

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:34 am

Mike Everman wrote:Oooooh. I checked my schedule, and I might just be able to go! I hear it's cheap fares about that time, I mean, who wants to go to to the UK in Feb????
Even worse is having to live there in Febuary

Viv:-)
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Heath Daily

Post by Heath Daily » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:54 am

Has anyone considered making a propane "wand" long enough to reach down the intake and a fair ways into the combustion chamber? If you were running off of that, moving it in and out, couldn't you locate the sweet spot fairly easily. Seems like a low hassle way to test various nozzle designs until you could come up with one shining example.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:49 am

yeah, HD. We call it different things, but usually a fuel stinger. I'm going to resort to it soon on my new engine. Seems it may need fuel further up the line.

Heath Daily

Post by Heath Daily » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:31 am

Is that copper?!

I kinda figured the propane would cool it some, but also figured mild steel would be pushing it.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:26 am

Bovington sounds good and 25th Feb gives me some time to get the Beast running, great ! maybe we can all meet up and compare burns? :-)

Thanks for the pic Grado, my welding is sadly amatuer but generally hold up, i need to look at that fuel feed next then.

ps where is Bovington? is that dorset or hants, is that the place with the tank museam?

Nick

Xama

Post by Xama » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:16 am

Nick wrote:ps where is Bovington? is that dorset or hants, is that the place with the tank museam?
It's OK, you're not the first to think that, but to my knowledge we've not had anyone turn up there yet. ;)

It's at Bovingdon, rather than Bovington. It's in Hertfordshire, about 5 miles from M25 junction 20.
David Parrott

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:43 am

Ahhhhh, thanks for clearing that up still not too bad to get to for here, its motorway most of the way, go past Heathrow Airport, pick up Mike Everman on the way...:-).

I can stopover at Oxford so thats not too far from there.

Nick

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:08 pm

Nick wrote:Ahhhhh, thanks for clearing that up still not too bad to get to for here, its motorway most of the way, go past Heathrow Airport, pick up Mike Everman on the way...:-).

I can stopover at Oxford so thats not too far from there.

Nick
Pick up Bruno, too. Did you really think I would stay home? Flying's cheap these days. Is it feasible to stay in Oxford for this? I have some people in Oxford who might grit their teeth and say "well, OK" if I ask them to stay at their place.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:13 pm

On the other hand, Mike, do you want us to coordinate, take _one_ rental car for both and stay at the same B&B?

It would be fairly practical, give us cheap wheels, but probably increase the total consumption of beer. I don't know whether the latter is good or bad.

If we had a rental car, Nick and Graham would not have to look around for carts to mount their engines on... :o)

I hope car rental agents are not reading this.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:50 pm

Bruno,
Yee hah, I'm in. Sure I'll share whatever, sounds great. I'll likely do some biz a couple of days before, so it'll probably be me that picks you up.

GRADO

Post by GRADO » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:43 pm

[quote="Mark"]Grado, that threading on your fitting almost looks like something off of a helicopter, my other brother works at Whiting Field, he goes up and down and tests the "birds" to make sure they are ready for the Navy boys to fly. The threading on your fitting looks like something off a helicopter, perhaps a hydraulic fitting, my brother gave some defective parts, a few old parts a long time ago? Just guessing about the threading, it looks unusual.
Mark

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -field.htm[/quote]

Mark, I'm sorry to say, The tread is just a humble M12 stainless bolt that I drilled out.
It's just a bad photo I guess.....