video data storage

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Ray(in England)
Antipspambot question: 0

video data storage

Post by Ray(in England) » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:46 pm

Dear All,
(1) If a solid state internal memory of a camcorder is 64 Mb,and maker's info. claims an external memory of 512Mb will hold 3 hrs. of video recording,then will the 64Mb hold one eigth,ie. 22.5 mins.?.

(2) Is it usual to be able to transfer the 64 Mb. memory of video to a computer in a public library running 'Real Player' or Microsoft's version,by just connecting to back of computer with a USB cable.?
What does USB mean?.
What does a USB socket look like?.
Thanks, Ray.

Mike Kirney

Re: video data storage

Post by Mike Kirney » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:16 pm

1) What format does it save the movies in? I just checked one of the mpeg clips on my hard drive and it says it used 1.15 megs for 21 seconds, so that works out to about 19.5 mins for 64 megs of the same format. AVI files are much larger and Windows Video files can be very small if you need them to be.

2) To upload to a computer from most cameras requires special software that comes with the camera so you would probably not be able to use a public computer unless the library allowed you to install your camera's software onto it first. I think USB stands for 'universal serial bus'. To find out what USB connectors look like, Google it.
Trig IS fun.

mk

Post by mk » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:25 pm

Ray wrote: (1) If a solid state internal memory of a camcorder is 64 Mb,and maker's info. claims an external memory of 512Mb will hold 3 hrs. of video recording,then will the 64Mb hold one eigth,ie. 22.5 mins.?.
With the same resolution and the same recording quality chosen I'd say "yes".
Ray wrote:(2) Is it usual to be able to transfer the 64 Mb. memory of video to a computer in a public library running 'Real Player' or Microsoft's version,by just connecting to back of computer with a USB cable.?
What does USB mean?.
What does a USB socket look like?.
If the admin didn't unable data transfer and/or the USB port and there is enough free memory left, I'd say it should be possible at a public library.

USB means "universal serial bus". It's a port standard (like "ps/2" or "serial" but with higher data transfer rates) for connecting any compatible sort of external appliances (e.g. hard disks, printers, digi cams etc.).

The socket is about 3mm wide and about 10mm long. It's simply a slit and all corners are right angle. There are no holes for pins appearing, just a black rectangle in the centre.
mk

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:36 pm

I'm with mike on this one, you will need to install the drivers that came with your camera. I've just finished filming with the english departments Sony DV Cam, and althouh it has "USB Streaming" emblazoned on it's case, we still need the software it came with, some obscure make to basically record off the DV tape using the camera over USB, no other way about it. It's quite a pain in the arse.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Ray(in England)

Post by Ray(in England) » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:31 pm

Thanks for rapid replies, Mike, MK and Coffee.

The webpage selling this camcorder is below.
If it's a' dead' link, I'll tell u it uses MPEG4 format.
I've just realized it has 'AV cables provided', which means it can be played back straight into the back of a normal tv set, doesn't it?.
Or transfered direct onto a VCR tape at home.?.
The libraries here block uploading of one's own programmes from CDs.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... &doy=26m11

Thanks ,Ray.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:33 pm

Ahh, I saw this in the shop the other day, when I was picking up some 433MHz Gear. If it is solid state (missed it in your first post), then if you hook it up to usb, my bet is that it will show up as another storage drive, like your hard drive, CD, 3.5", etc... The video clips should be as individual files, so you can just drag and drop to where you want them.

Tom

tufty

Post by tufty » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:36 pm

Coffee wrote:I'm with mike on this one, you will need to install the drivers that came with your camera. I've just finished filming with the english departments Sony DV Cam, and althouh it has "USB Streaming" emblazoned on it's case, we still need the software it came with, some obscure make to basically record off the DV tape using the camera over USB, no other way about it. It's quite a pain in the arse.
You want a mac, mate.

I want a DV camera ;-)

Swop you an old mac for a DV camera?

Simon

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:09 pm

I think they might just notice if their nice camera goes missing, damn english department and their relatively high IQ's (compared to the rest of the staff).

tufty

Post by tufty » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:35 pm

Coffee wrote:I think they might just notice if their nice camera goes missing, damn english department and their relatively high IQ's (compared to the rest of the staff).
Easy. I'll include a <looks around> - an old SCSI cartridge drive with a 35mm lens gaffer taped to the end, and the word 'DIGITUL' scrawled on with a marker. That should do the trick.

We on?

Simon

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:45 pm

Yes, you can make ordinary VHS tapes with your old VCR just by plugging it in the back, no software necessary.
Trig IS fun.