Something That Might Sell

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Something That Might Sell

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:27 pm

hinote wrote:
Larry Cottrill wrote:
if you have some good photos that I can produce and market as pulsejet posters.
Larry--I can offer the attached, if you're interested.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts
You bet - it will become part of my "2004 - THE YEAR OF THE VALVELESS PULSEJET" series (although you probably got that one working in 2003 ;-)

Thanks.

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:30 pm

steve wrote:Ooops! sorry larry! I already sent all my good photos attached to one email so the file size is going to be rather large. In short- I hope you aren't using a dialup connection!
Steve -

Sorry, that won't work - Juno blocks single messages over a certain size [including attachments]. You'll have to go round again, sending them one at a time. Yes, it's a dialup connection, but that doesn't bother me. You should give each one a sequence number in the subject line, something like '1 of 9', so I can tell if I didn't get any that you tried to send.

L Cottrill

hinote

Post by hinote » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:01 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote: You bet - it will become part of my "2004 - THE YEAR OF THE VALVELESS PULSEJET" series (although you probably got that one working in 2003 ;-)
Photo date is 5 Mar 2004.

Bill H.
Acooustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:15 pm

hinote wrote:
Larry Cottrill wrote: You bet - it will become part of my "2004 - THE YEAR OF THE VALVELESS PULSEJET" series (although you probably got that one working in 2003 ;-)
Photo date is 5 Mar 2004.

Bill H.
Acooustic Propulsion Concepts
ALL RIGHT! You see, this really is/was the Year of the Valveless ...

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether posters should be of a "standard" size? It's a weird question, but it seems like all the posters sold at retail outlets are one exact size, while on the 'net, they vary somewhat in size and aspect ratio. What do you think?

I'd think it wouldn't matter much, since you don't usually frame them [other than collectibles, which you'd custom frame anyway].

Any opinions?

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Sample Poster for Steve

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:59 pm

All right, Steve - here's what I came up with for your shot.

The real one was done with your jpeg full size, but this sample size is the most I will post on the forum, to avoid the dreaded scourge of "poster plagiarism" ;-)

L Cottrill

EDIT: The image is updated to look like the posters as actually printed on 23 Nov 2004 - paper dimensions 11x17 inches, image dimensions 10x14.25 inches, approx.
Attachments
SteveB_rocket_scientist_poster_sample2.jpg
The very first poster in the soon-to-be-famous "Year of the Valveless Pulsejet" series, as printed first run 11x17 posters on 23 Nov 2004. Copyright 2004 Larry Cottrill
(197.36 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Last edited by larry cottrill on Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mk

Post by mk » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:38 pm

What do you think, Larry?
Attachments
valveless_pj_poster_small.jpg
Pictures taken in the summer of 2004.
valveless_pj_poster_small.jpg (89.26 KiB) Viewed 11187 times
mk

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:02 pm

mk wrote:What do you think, Larry?
Marten -

Not bad at all - you just need a little help with the English text.

What you mean, I think, is:

Small Pulse Jets are [I'd have said, "Small Pulsejets are"]
the simplest, noisiest, and
most fuel consuming, all [I'd have said, "fuel hungry," "fuel guzzling" or something]
in all simply
the best ...

vise heating systems with [note "vise", not "vice" (which means evil habits)]
propulsion capability which
have ever been built! [I'd have said, "ever been devised" or something]

Note that the correct form for a copyright notice is:
"Copyright [year] [name]"

L Cottrill
Last edited by larry cottrill on Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:04 pm

Larry, how about a pulsejet calendar?
Trig IS fun.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:07 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:Larry, how about a pulsejet calendar?
Yes, I've thought of that. That would take a lot of pictures, but the quality [resolution] could be a lot lower than photos blown way up for posters. There are several outfits on the net, and lots of local printers, that will make up nice calendars for you.

L Cottrill

steve

Post by steve » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:07 pm

I just re-sent you the pics, expect about 5 megs of data. not a fun download on dialup but hopefully it shouldn't be too painfull.

anyway I really like what you have done with the other picture! looks very professional. The only thing I would change is the location of "actually," which should probably be lower (my fault!)

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:37 pm

steve wrote:I just re-sent you the pics, expect about 5 megs of data. not a fun download on dialup but hopefully it shouldn't be too painfull.

anyway I really like what you have done with the other picture! looks very professional. The only thing I would change is the location of "actually," which should probably be lower (my fault!)
Actually, it's not that bad ... kind of a nice offset from the dully symmetrical approach. What was really needed was that hotter 'am'. The color for that is borrowed right off the hot steel.

L Cottrill

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:27 pm

I think the poster idea is pretty good overall. A pulsejet running full tilt is very visually interesting, even in still pictures. If you could somehow get one of your posters into some celebrity's hand you would have it made. People will buy the damndest things if a celebrity even just mentions them in passing. I really want a Shotgun Larry Cotrill poster, even if no celebrity will touch it.
Trig IS fun.

tufty

Post by tufty » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:41 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote: vise heating systems with [note "vise", not "vice" (which means evil habits)]
The spelling of vice (meaning pulsejet gripping device) depends very much upon what side of the pond you're on, Larry. Or, for anyone who's ever hung out on alt.folklore.urban, TWIAVBP

Simon 'hot vices, and you can take that any way you like' Stapleton

Xama

Post by Xama » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:12 am

tufty wrote:
Larry Cottrill wrote: vise heating systems with [note "vise", not "vice" (which means evil habits)]
The spelling of vice (meaning pulsejet gripping device) depends very much upon what side of the pond you're on, Larry.
According to the "The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition" on http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vice vice is an acceptable name for a pulsejet gripping device in the US too.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:39 am

Xama wrote:
tufty wrote:
The spelling of vice (meaning pulsejet gripping device) depends very much upon what side of the pond you're on, Larry.
According to the "The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition" on http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vice vice is an acceptable name for a pulsejet gripping device in the US too.
Obviously, I must concede the point. Just don't let the Vise Grips (TM) people know ...

This brings to mind a puzzle, or perhaps, riddle I made up. Imagine an ordinary, modern multistory office building. I am thinking of something clearly visible that is always identical on every floor, even though it changes dozens of times every day. What is it?

L Cottrill