UFLOW guide for the FAQ?

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

resosys
Antipspambot question: 0

UFLOW guide for the FAQ?

Post by resosys » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:16 pm

Any of you math/fluid dynamics geniuses up to writing a guide to using UFLOW for modelling pulsejets (and other pulse tubes)?

Think about the fame, the fortune, feeling good about helping and teaching others knowledge that will likely get them jailed in New Zealand!!!

Please?

Thanks,

Chris

Mike Everman

Re: UFLOW guide for the FAQ?

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Good idea. I can't remember where I posted a beginner's bit about it, I'll search. Graham and Bill had some good stuff at:
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewto ... w&start=15

It needs boiling down that I don't have time for, but we really should FAQ it.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

pezman

Post by pezman » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:58 pm

Hmm, too bad there is no karma button in this forum. Anyone willing to just say FAQ-it deserves karma.

pezman

Post by pezman » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:13 pm

Actually, on a more serious note, pulse-jet modeling seems to be a special case of modeling, and one simple change to UFLOW would rule -- a COM interface so that you could shove model parameters in using, e.g. Excel, run the model a bit, take calculated values out and feed them back in for a 2nd pass.

For example, valved pulse-jets are hybrid systems. The tube geometry switches from "tube open at one end" to a "tube open at both ends" -- basically, you need to run one of these models (e.g. the close-open with combustion), steal calculated values at the right point in time and plug them into the open-open model to study the aspiration cycle.

Even in a valveless, it would be great to run one combustion cycle and then feed back parameters for the next cycle to see where the engine goes. For example, playing with various "Bruno-engine" models shows that it is hard to get the compression effect to sustain because internal pressure builds up and prevents the engine from breathing, so I think that the "trajectory" to the engines sustained operation (or not) is a pretty important piece of analysis.

A COM interface would also make it much easier to build models, cut down on calculating (how far in was that point I wanted to sample?) and do all kinds of special graphing, post-processing etc. I know that this is all doable with the current app, but it's cumbersome.

On a final node, a COM interface would get past a lot of the of quirks in the GUI.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:07 am

pezman wrote:Hmm, too bad there is no karma button in this forum. Anyone willing to just say FAQ-it deserves karma.
To FAQ-it a verb

Viv:-)
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:18 pm

Ha ha! I didn't realize what I said, I swear. Oh, FAQ it. LOL
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.