Fire ants in my country.

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
No smear campaign, or you will be banned!

Moderator: Mike Everman

skyfrog
Antipspambot question: 0

Fire ants in my country.

Post by skyfrog » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:06 am

Yesterday when harvesting papaya in the countryside my wife got bitten by an ant on her foot. It was only one bit, but after few hours she got swollen foot. Guess what ? Fire ants had successfully migrated to my country.

It was reported earlier this year by local press that fire ants was found domesticated but I wasn't convinced. But now, seeing is believing. Imported plants with soils at their roots provide nice shelter on their long way to here. Well, since the hot weather here is perfect for their living, and they are tough animals cannot be easily removed or expelled, they will be our neighbors for many years. Yes I'll accept this fact, so from now on, be more careful when doing activities in the field.
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Fire ants in my country.

Post by Viv » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:21 am

skyfrog wrote:Yesterday when harvesting papaya in the countryside my wife got bitten by an ant on her foot. It was only one bit, but after few hours she got swollen foot. Guess what ? Fire ants had successfully migrated to my country.

It was reported earlier this year by local press that fire ants was found domesticated but I wasn't convinced. But now, seeing is believing. Imported plants with soils at their roots provide nice shelter on their long way to here. Well, since the hot weather here is perfect for their living, and they are tough animals cannot be easily removed or expelled, they will be our neighbors for many years. Yes I'll accept this fact, so from now on, be more careful when doing activities in the field.
An alien invasion! yes its one of the big problems with the world getting smaller.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

skyfrog
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by skyfrog » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:38 am

Viv wrote:An alien invasion! yes its one of the big problems with the world getting smaller.
Several years ago I found my house was invaded by small cockroaches, they expelled the original big "Native" roaches and took over the house. I couldn't do anything to them until I found a nice way several months ago. The solution was : geckoes ! Guess what ? they are doing excellant job, now when I got up from my bed in the midnight, no more roaches were found on the floor, so no more "slipper dancing" for me. Occasionally we can hear geckoes singing in the night, they must have been enjoying their big feast. :)
Long live jet engine !
Horace
Jetbeetle

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:51 am

i have seen a guy in once fall down a palm tree and have his foot land in a circle about 30cm wide full of fire ants... he new about it!!!!!