SA-7

Moderator: Mike Everman

Hank
Antipspambot question: 0

SA-7

Post by Hank » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:23 pm

Hello- Another Helicopter fell in Iraq today, the second victim of an shoulder held rocket launcher. This weapon is a user-trend to hold in consideration. They are effective. Several European airlines have addressed the existence of small launchers and are going to modify their fleets for defence against it.
Back in 1975 I found and fired a first generation version of this weapon.
I was impressed. It was called "Fliegerfaust", a multiple barreled Bazooka type assembly. The rocket consisted of a standard 20mm shell swaged onto a tube containing a stick of cordite propellant. The stability of the round was provided by a spin about the centerline induced by angled venturis.
I mention this particular type of rocket because it is appearent to me that
it will be playing a role in events in Iraq and possibly elsewhere.

Hank

Ivar

Post by Ivar » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:44 pm

http://www.luftarchiv.de/flugkorper/hasag.htm

ALL YOUR AIRCRAFT ARE BELONG TO US :-)

Please, I am extremely interested in this thing. If you have any links, or pics or anything related to its use, post it here.

Pieter van Boven

Post by Pieter van Boven » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:47 pm

What about the man's face after he fired the thing.
Typical to find out that this is also first tried by Germans during WW2.
Two weeks ago I was in the European space museum in Toulouse (France) and the whole rocket-thing started with a V2 engine. You can see pieces of it overthere. Nice museum!

Pieter.

Pieter van Boven

Post by Pieter van Boven » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:53 pm

Ivar

Post by Ivar » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:31 am

No no, the SA-7 has a lo info on the net, but not the six-barreled Fliegerfaust! Anyone know anything on that?

Ps:
Igla-S, the ultimate shoulderlaunched rocket is about to enter the modern warfare.

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:39 am

would it be really that hard to make one of these ? Correct me if i am wrong but its a pipe that lanches a rocket witha payload in the front right ? some how make fins that spring out just after its come out of the barrel.

Stephen

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:39 pm

i got bored so heres just a crapy lil drawing i did http://www12.brinkster.com/srss/rocket%20launcher.jpg

Stephen

Ivar

Post by Ivar » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:11 am

Upload your pic here, we can`t see it.

Yes, it can be made and what`s better the Vmax will be about 3 mach with sugar rocket instead of the initial 900kmph.
Will destroy troops, lightely armored veicles and aircraft (if you hit them). A helicopter hovering would be sweet to blast down.

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:08 am

this rocket is the exact shape as the b-200 i think from Richard Nakka's site. these things dont need any electronics do they ?

Stephen
Attachments
rocket launcher.jpg
Basic Sugar Rocket
(31.51 KiB) Downloaded 627 times

Ivar

Post by Ivar » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:36 am

That`s the thing! Or at least you got the basic idea. The fins can be made of spring steel, and simply pop out when the launch tube no longer keeps them folded (when rocket leaves the launch tube).
Yep, the beauty of it - no electronics, but a simple electric igniter cirquit for the engines and a special dial switch to choose between tubes.
I strongly believe that the key of making this thing work is HUGE thrust-to-weight ratio of maybe 150-200Kgs thrust to less than 1kg rocket weight. At that speed you should have a chance of hitting the moving target at 1km range, at least a minor damage. At 300 meters or less you can score all direct hits if your`re good at aiming. Some small c4 charges would certainly cause damage.