Finally back, building PVC Rocket!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

Finally back, building PVC Rocket!

Post by Zippiot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Been gone a long time, the Military wouldnt let me build nor photograph the cool things Ive done. A bit more settled down now and after a careful reading of my barracks rules and regulations I am finally able to get back to building (only a few things).
This time its Rockets!

I had a while to perfect my craft in Potassium Nitrate/Sugar rockets and got it pretty well down thus far.
The video of a test fire of my first engine design is loading up on youtube now, I will post once its finished.

I have no way of measuring thrust here, but estimated engine output is a high F or low G class at 115 grams of propellant.
Need to grab more supplies from the hardware store to build some more and get started on the actual rocket.

I got 10 pounds of KNO3 and found a fantastic source for more, once I finalize the engine I will get started on mass production.

The 10 pounds of KNO3 was $24 delivered
Sugar is cheap so I wont even include it into the price
Paid $1.25 for 4 feet of 3/4" PVC pipe and 27 cents for the endcap
$1.00 for a few washers
$3.50 for some Silicone
$7.00 for a lot of MEK (instead of PVC glue, I prefer MEK)

Its a lot getting started but each engine uses a tiny fraction of each, I bet I can get the total cost of each engine to be about $1.00+time invested (I got time)

(each engine uses about 40 cents worth of KNO3, not including the ejection charge that will be needed)
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

PyroJoe
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Finally back, building PVC Rocket!

Post by PyroJoe » Tue May 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Any progress/videos?