Planning for a large NOX engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Planning for a large NOX engine

Post by Johansson » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:40 pm

As usual I am planning my projects a couple of years in advance, so why should I not start to think about this one?

Next year I will race the Thunderchine kick at the "bonneville" race on ice here in Sweden, but how to continue the year after that? With a rocket engine of course! 8)

The easiest way would be to build a hybrid engine running on NOX and epoxy or any other suitable fuel, another idea is to build a NOX/E85 engine where the fuel is either stored in a pressure tank and pressurised by a nitrogen tank or pumped at high pressure by a piston pump into the CC.

I will know the next spring how fast I can go with the pulsejet, but for the rocket engine to beat it it has to produce an average thrust over 30kg during the run (2000m). The vehicle with driver without fuel weighs ~100kg.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome, consider this a brainstorming for now.

marksteamnz

Re: Planning for a large NOX engine

Post by marksteamnz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:32 pm

laffin-gas.com Read the blog
Carolynne, and her team are doing good stuff and are friendly and willing to share.
Cheers
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:57 pm

How about the opposite of ice? steam, steam rockets are pretty powerful

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

carolynne

Post by carolynne » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:30 am

Hi,

We're happy to share all we know about Nitrous Oxide Hybrids. You can see ours performing on http://www.youtube.com/laffingastv. If you want to get in touch, please use the link on laffin-gas.com and include your email address. Good rocketeers stick together!!
cheers
c

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Great vids there Carolynne! I will take my time and figure out exactly what I want to know, then I will email you.

Viv, a steam powered rocket would be fun but somewhat inconvenient to use on a frozen lake since it will need massive amounts of heat to get up to pressure. It is very interesting none the less, do you know where to find more info about designing such engines?

Viv

Post by Viv » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Johansson wrote:Great vids there Carolynne! I will take my time and figure out exactly what I want to know, then I will email you.

Viv, a steam powered rocket would be fun but somewhat inconvenient to use on a frozen lake since it will need massive amounts of heat to get up to pressure. It is very interesting none the less, do you know where to find more info about designing such engines?
Hi johansson

There used to be a few good rocket drag bike web sites with info and a few car ones but I have to admit its a few years since I looked in to steam rockets, I will have a look for the links

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:31 pm

I´ve been eyeballing the XCOR homepage for some time, their regeneratively cooled N2O/ethane engines looks really interesting.
rocket engine.jpg
Last edited by Johansson on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:59 am

One interesting note about this XCOR engine is that it is self-pressurizing, so no nitrogen tank needed. I do wonder how they pressurize the fuel tank with nitrous oxide without any safety issues, perhaps the fuel is stored in a rubber bladder inside the tank?

For winter use it seems more convenient to use nitrogen since the delivery pressure can be more accurately regulated.

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Johansson wrote:Great vids there Carolynne! I will take my time and figure out exactly what I want to know, then I will email you.

Ahem

The please read first sticky from yours truly...................

It's got links to where you can buy the steam rocket book.

Cheers
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Here is a link to a guys homepage where he designs large N2O hybrid engines, I found it just now so I haven´t read it through yet but it seems very interesting.

http://www.thefintels.com/aer/hr5.htm

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 pm

http://laffin-gasrocket.blogspot.com/

Latest from Laffin Gas. Carolynne persuaded me to write a summary of the technology they are using.

As for my having "an opinion worthy of respect." Maybe maybe not. I throw myself at the mercy of the court.

Cheers